Options

Lost Semi-colon Keywords

AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
edited January 25, 2014 in Bug Reporting
When clicking to edit "photo details" for any photo the trailing semi-colon is lost on the keywords.
keyword1; keyword2; keyword3;

This has been mentioned in a few threads and borks the last keyword if it's a multiple word keyword
splitting it into individual keywords.

Please fix.
Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
My Website index | My Blog

Comments

• Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    When clicking to edit "photo details" for any photo the trailing semi-colon is lost on the keywords.
    keyword1; keyword2; keyword3;

This has been mentioned in a few threads and borks the last keyword if it's a multiple word keyword
    splitting it into individual keywords.

Please fix.

I took a look at a few of my images where the last keyword entry was a 'two word' keyword, and there's no issue.

Could you post up or email a link to an example?
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2013
    richW wrote: »
    I took a look at a few of my images where the last keyword entry was a 'two word' keyword, and there's no issue.

Could you post up or email a link to an example?
    Every photo I go into the last ; is missing.
  • Options
    pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2013
    Allen, this is on the active bug list:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240164

But as you know we haven't seen very many things leave the active bug list as fixed.
  • Options
    pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2013
    Rich, the way to reproduce this is that the multi-word keyword has to be the last keyword in the list. Open the "edit" page. Smugmug will remove the trailing semicolon. So it doesn't even matter if you change the keywords...even if you just change the caption, or title and save, Smugmug will then split your multi-word keyword into multiple keywords because it removed the trailing semicolon without your noticing it.

If you open it, add the trailing semicolon before saving anything, everything will be fine...but this means that any time you make any edits, you have to remember to check your keywords and add back trailing semicolons if your LAST keyword is multi-word.
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2013
    pbandj wrote: »
    Rich, the way to reproduce this is that the multi-word keyword has to be the last keyword in the list. Open the "edit" page. Smugmug will remove the trailing semicolon. So it doesn't even matter if you change the keywords...even if you just change the caption, or title and save, Smugmug will then split your multi-word keyword into multiple keywords because it removed the trailing semicolon without your noticing it.

If you open it, add the trailing semicolon before saving anything, everything will be fine...but this means that any time you make any edits, you have to remember to check your keywords and add back trailing semicolons if your LAST keyword is multi-word.
    Allen, this is on the active bug list:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240164
    Thanks pbandj wave.gif
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2013
    bump
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2013
    Please fix this. Keywording on new smug is so bad, I started doing it in lightroom. Now this bug has caused a gallery full of bad keywords that I have to fix on smugmug (in legacy mode, of course). And of course once I make changes on smugmug, I can't republish from lightroom without losing my changes.

The keyword bugs and missing functionality are very frustrating. Is this stuff getting worked at all? We have only seen more bugs and zero fixes or improvements to the keyword system since the introduction of new smug. Time to make this a priority.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2013
    bump
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2013
    I had a single multi-word keyword on my photos in Lightroom ("test scene"), bugs in the Lightroom plugin meant that I had to add a second keyword in order to prevent the "test scene" keyword from being broken up into two separate keywords.

It makes me wonder if SmugMug has developed even a single test case for their features. It's not like these features are impossible to create completely automated tests for, which can also serve as documentation for the functionality. If SmugMug were to employ a test engineer, I think it would improve their software considerably.
  • Options
    mhilbushmhilbush Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2014
    Wow. I've been banging my head on the wall for a while on this. I can't believe this has not been fixed yet. I guess I need to add a second keyword to all my images so that Smugmug processes them correctly when I upload from Lightroom. How silly. Flickr handles it correctly -- not sure what prevents Smugmug from making it work right...
    Mark
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 12, 2014
    add my vote for a fix here too.

I try to remember when I bring up the edit box for photo details to remember to add that missing semi-colon back again. Add this problem to the fact that the default keywords page doesn't show all of the sites keywords and this is a bigger problem.

--- Denise
  • Options
    mhilbushmhilbush Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2014
    mhilbush wrote: »
    Wow. I've been banging my head on the wall for a while on this. I can't believe this has not been fixed yet. I guess I need to add a second keyword to all my images so that Smugmug processes them correctly when I upload from Lightroom. How silly. Flickr handles it correctly -- not sure what prevents Smugmug from making it work right...
    Lamah wrote: »
    I had a single multi-word keyword on my photos in Lightroom ("test scene"), bugs in the Lightroom plugin meant that I had to add a second keyword in order to prevent the "test scene" keyword from being broken up into two separate keywords.

I opened a support ticket on this a few weeks ago, and I'm happy to report that it is now fixed.
    Mark
    Mark