Options

Keyword Frustration

TipiWalterTipiWalter Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited January 25, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Why is it that I have to return over and over again to fix my keywords??? This is ridiculous. Example---

"south col camps";

"south", "col" and "camps" all appear SOMETIMES as separate keywords---or maybe merciful Odin the whole correct "south col camps" appears. What the heck?

What is the definitive way to make keywords? Do I still use quotation marks like in the old Smug? Do I leave off the quotation marks and just use a semicolon after the phrase or keyword?? Or do I do both? This shouldn't be brain surgery. And dangit it should work every time.

Comments

• Options
    The MechanicThe Mechanic Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2013
    Hi TipiWalter,

You will need to ensure that your separators are in place for your keywords. If no separators are used it will try to keyword the each word on its own.

Here is an example: journal buy button; buy button; journal;

I hope this will help you along. Be sure to use a single word keyword at the end of your keywords if you are having trouble, and be sure to use a trailing separator.

Thanks -Scott
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2013
    Thanks Scott for the post. So I guess I can dispense with the " " quotation marks. I have been careful to end and separate all my keywords as you show, with a semicolon. A couple days later (the keywords never refresh or update instantly---I have to wait several hours or a day or more)---anyway, a couple days later I return and find my most recent keyword phrases still separated and wrong, even after carefully using your example.

Why if I remove a wrong keyword doesn't the fix immediately show up on my Keyword list?
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2013
    There was a bug reported - don't know if it's been fixed, whereby the last semi at the end of the last keyword, was being dropped after save. I believe a good strategy while SM works out kinks, is to make sure the last keyword is a single keyword, otherwise the multi may default to single keywords.

As for the delay, SM's system is processing the correction, that can take a little time to run through all your keywords to change them all. In my mind I think of it as a "long save time", which has always felt normal.
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2013
    Hi TipiWalter,

You will need to ensure that your separators are in place for your keywords. If no separators are used it will try to keyword the each word on its own.

Here is an example: journal buy button; buy button; journal;

I hope this will help you along. Be sure to use a single word keyword at the end of your keywords if you are having trouble, and be sure to use a trailing separator.

Thanks -Scott

When I see a reply from smugmug like this, it makes me wonder if there's any plan to fix the bug that is causing this issue. It seems to me that a reply to yet another thread about this bug should start with an apology, then an explanation of the workaround, and end with a promise to have it fixed soon. As is, it looks like you're blaming this on user error, which I'm sure is not intended.

Dave
  • Options
    guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2013
    pilotdave wrote: »
    When I see a reply from smugmug like this, it makes me wonder if there's any plan to fix the bug that is causing this issue. It seems to me that a reply to yet another thread about this bug should start with an apology, then an explanation of the workaround, and end with a promise to have it fixed soon. As is, it looks like you're blaming this on user error, which I'm sure is not intended.

Dave

You also have to remember that if you open up "edit photo details" for any reason the first thing it will do is strip that last separator from keywords. If you don't remember to put it back manually every time your multi words key words will be split even if you did not alter anything in the key word field. This continues to be very infuriating!!
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2013
    guy wrote: »
    You also have to remember that if you open up "edit photo details" for any reason the first thing it will do is strip that last separator from keywords. If you don't remember to put it back manually every time your multi words key words will be split even if you did not alter anything in the key word field. This continues to be very infuriating!!

The thing is that you don't even have to open it up for this bug (or some bug) to break up keywords. There may be more than one bug at play but it happens to me all the time and I do almost all my keyword editing in legacy mode. I often open up my legacy keyword page and find broken up keywords that I know I didn't edit in new smug photo details.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2013
    Thanks for the wonderful replies. I thought I was going nuts in solitude.
  • Options
    mhilbushmhilbush Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2014
    I just submitted a support ticket, as this is driving me nuts.

Here's what's making me crazy. I do all my keywording in Lightroom. If I have an image with one multi-word keyword, when I upload the image to Smugmug, that one keyword is broken into separate keywords for each individual word. OTOH, if the image has more than one multi-word keyword, when I upload that image to Smugmug, the keywords are handled correctly. This happens when I use the Smugmug plugin for Lightroom, and when I upload using the upload function on the web site. I don't think it's Lightroom, because when I upload those same images to Flickr, the keywords are handled correctly.
    Mark
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2014
    mhilbush wrote: »

Here's what's making me crazy. I do all my keywording in Lightroom. If I have an image with one multi-word keyword, when I upload the image to Smugmug, that one keyword is broken into separate keywords for each individual word. OTOH, if the image has more than one multi-word keyword, when I upload that image to Smugmug, the keywords are handled correctly. This happens when I use the Smugmug plugin for Lightroom, and when I upload using the upload function on the web site. I don't think it's Lightroom, because when I upload those same images to Flickr, the keywords are handled correctly.
    I think (from what I've read elsewhere here on the forums) that this problem is related to the same bug the few folks posting just before you (right here in this thread) are talking about. I just can't fathom why SmugMug can't get on this a lot faster, because every passing day with this bug active bolluxes up many more paying customers' keywords.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    mhilbushmhilbush Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2014
    mhilbush wrote: »

This problem I was having with Smugmug breaking up a single, multi-word keyword appears to be fixed.
    Mark