Any Guides on SEO with the NEW Smugmug?

nine22nine22 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited January 26, 2014 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I did a check on my google ranking and found since switching my main site from squarespace to smugmug I've pretty much disappeared off the face of the earth. The majority of the how to SEO on smugmug were on the old site version and with the new design I can't find the settings.

I read this article from a recent smugmug blog that sounds like SEO is pretty much busted with the new Smugmug... is that true?

If it is not true can someone point me in the direction of making sure my new smugmug is maximized for seo.

Thanks!
nine22.smugmug.com

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited January 26, 2014
    The key is words and inbound links. Both captions and keywords are important (as I'm sure you already know), and inbound links are as well.

Some of your galleries include keywords and captions, some don't. If you want the galleries found you might consider adding them.

You have removed the breadcrumb from your galleries and you don't appear to have any gallery descriptions. I don't know that the breadcrumb helps SEO (it probably doesn't have any effect) but it does help your viewers navigate. And a gallery description can feed into SEO.

I find it a bit disconcerting that all of your galleries show a message about bib numbers - shouldn't this message only be shown on the sporting events galleries? (Yes, I know, not related to SEO, but still...)

Your blog includes photos but it appears you have uploaded them to Blogger's photo store as opposed to embedding photos from your smug site. You have included a single link to the gallery in each blog post - but why not let the photos in your blog work for you? You can see an example of embedding photos if you look at my blog - clicking a photo takes the viewer to my smug site.

See http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1229846-new-seo-made-easy.

--- Denise
  • nine22nine22 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2014
    The key is words and inbound links. Both captions and keywords are important (as I'm sure you already know), and inbound links are as well.

Some of your galleries include keywords and captions, some don't. If you want the galleries found you might consider adding them.

You have removed the breadcrumb from your galleries and you don't appear to have any gallery descriptions. I don't know that the breadcrumb helps SEO (it probably doesn't have any effect) but it does help your viewers navigate. And a gallery description can feed into SEO.

I find it a bit disconcerting that all of your galleries show a message about bib numbers - shouldn't this message only be shown on the sporting events galleries? (Yes, I know, not related to SEO, but still...)

Your blog includes photos but it appears you have uploaded them to Blogger's photo store as opposed to embedding photos from your smug site. You have included a single link to the gallery in each blog post - but why not let the photos in your blog work for you? You can see an example of embedding photos if you look at my blog - clicking a photo takes the viewer to my smug site.

See http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1229846-new-seo-made-easy.

--- Denise

I could never figure out how to separate the bib numbers message for only the cross country photos... I'll make that a goal.

I had a dream last night that the where I add the caption was from the galleries and not from where you show the images like my about section/portfolio, without looking just reading your comment that sounds right and i've just been looking in the wrong spot for that.

I'm not happy with blogger, or any other free blog platform for a blog site, the integration with smugmug is horrible, and I hear using the free blogs does zero for SEO(remember my last blog was a paid blog by squarespace), my goal is to have that all switched to a hosted wordpress(I have not tried this yet but everyone seems to use it) site on a subdomain, and I'll have it pull the images from my smugmug site.

Do you know how to add the google plus " rel="publisher" " tag added to the buttons for social media? Right now I have it just as a link on the bottom of my home page which is funky but the only way i could get google to get one of the verifications. using the webmaster tools there are like 4 things you have to veryfy that is one, found out about it from this linked.

I'm working on about 3 hours of sleep, I hope this reply made sense...
    nine22.smugmug.com