Options

5D Question by Email

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited November 8, 2005 in Cameras
anonymous wrote:
Just switched from film to digital. 5D , my first dig. SLR.
Problem, - Can't seem to download RAW pics. using PS 7 I can switch pics to TIFF but when they get to PS 7 - no Layers - and only 3 or 4 filters available.
Is this a quick fix? Do you have any idea what I'm screwing up?
You thoughts or help would appreciated. I did read the software manual but i must be missing something. Please be kind, I just unboxed it 6 days ago
Can anyone help?

Comments

• Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    might this be a problem of not working in 8 bits mode?
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    ne_nau.gif and I don't have time to research this one. My guess is that PS7 does not support 5D raw files.

I also suggest that the poster go to computer store, and buy a card reader, transfer the files in that manner.

To the poster: have you installed all the Canon Software? The Canon software provides for the ability to transfer, read, open, and manipulate the 5D Canon Raw files.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    I don't think you can, I had a quick look through the adobe forum
    and it looks like cs is the pre-req for the raw plug in.
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    andy wrote:
    I also suggest that the poster go to computer store, and buy a card reader, transfer the files in that manner.
    Second - always the best idea.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    ShannonWShannonW Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    I have a 20D and use the software that came with it. It's called EOS viewer utility. It is easy to use especially with raw images.
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    While I may be way off the mark, I believe the 5D is somewhat like the 20D in that if you go to the Communications menu item and select PTP, you will disable communication with the Canon software but will enable the camera to be seen as a standard Windows drive, which is my personal preference. You can drag and drop your files into whatever directory you wish. (on edit, I just looked at the online 5D instruction manual, and they indicate using PC Connect ... so unlike the my 20d, it may work a bit differently and I do not have a 5d (**envious :cry sigh**) to try).

Once you have your files on the computer you will need a RAW viewer/converter, such as the free RawShooter Essentials http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.html which supports Canon 5D RAW files ... or just get PhotoShop CS2 which has full CameraRaw support and virtually transparent integration.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    allanallan Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2005
    While I may be way off the mark, I believe the 5D is somewhat like the 20D in that if you go to the Communications menu item and select PTP, you will disable communication with the Canon software but will enable the camera to be seen as a standard Windows drive, which is my personal preference. You can drag and drop your files into whatever directory you wish. (on edit, I just looked at the online 5D instruction manual, and they indicate using PC Connect ... so unlike the my 20d, it may work a bit differently and I do not have a 5d (**envious :cry sigh**) to try).

Once you have your files on the computer you will need a RAW viewer/converter, such as the free RawShooter Essentials http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.html which supports Canon 5D RAW files ... or just get PhotoShop CS2 which has full CameraRaw support and virtually transparent integration.

5D is not supported by PS7. You could use the DPP 2.03 that comes with your camera -- i hear it has a very good sharpenning tool. Or, you get the CS2 update for $149.
    Good Luck.
    An N, a few L's and a bounch of #'s that let me 'see' better...
    28 years of trying to capture emotion...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/