Options

90 Degree Upload Bug

A Still In TimeA Still In Time Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited January 29, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Hello Dgrin friends,

Could someone verify a problem (bug?) that I may have discovered? It has to do with uploading pictures shot at 90 degrees with a Canon D60 (if camera type matters) from Aperture to SmugMug. The result is a file size sometimes 20% of the original file. In addition, the actual pixel size changes as well (which is of course the reason for the smaller file size).

Some background...
I have uploaded several hundreds of photos using the HTML uploader. I noticed that some were uploading faster than others. To get to the point, I discovered that the pictures I shot holding the camera at 90 degrees resulted in the picture not uploading at 100% of the original file size.

I have been in contact (via email) several times with SmugMug and while I appreciate their very fast response time, I do not think the people I’m communicating with are getting the picture (no pun intended).

They are saying that the pictures I drag from my Aperture to the SmugMug HTML uploader only uploads the preview sizes... mostly FALSE!! All the pictures that I shot normally (not at 90 degrees) and have not been altered, uploads perfectly at 100% of the original file sizes.

They also said that I should upload using the SmugMug plugin (I believe it’s also called the SmugMug Publishing Option). Thank you... but I've already tried that and interestingly, it still comes in at a smaller size albeit not as small as when I upload via the html uploader. (My original 5.4 MB jpeg file converts to 1.2 MB via HTML uploaded, and about 4 MB via the plugin).

I've verified this with a number of other pictures I shot, both regularly held, and at 90 degrees. It was consistent.

My theory is that when Aperture auto rotates pictures in preview mode, it actually generates a "version" of the original and it is that altered version that gets uploaded, regardless if it's uploaded via the HTML uploader or the plugin. I could be completely wrong here... it's just a guess.

The work-around would be that I have to upload exported Aperture files of any picture shot at 90 degrees... VERY inefficient when maybe 25% of the shots I take are at 90 degrees and especially when you have to then rotate them within the SmugMug gallery.

I've tried searching the web for any other reference to this type of issue but I haven't found anything. Could someone verify this for me so that I could mention it in my communications with SmugMug’s Tech Support?

My concern is for my clients that order the pictures shot at 90 degrees and the detrimental effect on quality the small file size will have on the large sized prints. In addition, if this is a bug/issue, it should be publicly known so that fellow Aperture/SmugMug users are aware of this problem before they upload their 90 degree shots to SmugMug.

Maybe I'm missing something or am doing something wrong... which I would appreciate knowing as well!!

Thanks All!!!

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2014
    Aperture needs to re-encode the JPEG in order to rotate it for you. So if you drag a rotated photo out of Aperture to somewhere else (like SmugMug's HTML file uploader or your desktop) it'll get recompressed before it is exported, which will drop file quality. Dragging out of Aperture causes a Preview quality image to be produced:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/13035639?messageID=13035639

You should be using the SmugMug plugin as support mentioned to upload directly to SmugMug.

The plugin defaults to a JPEG export quality of 0.83:

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/84370-aperture-uploader
    FYI: Aperture recompresses images with a JPEG quality of 0.83 by default. This could cause an image's file size to be smaller on SM, but there should be no visible differences in image quality.
  • Options
    A Still In TimeA Still In Time Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 29, 2014
    Thanks for your response Lamah. Your first sentence explained to me why the reduced image file sizes were occurring.

The interesting thing is that I don't suffer a reduced image file size when I drag the picture from Aperture via the HTML uploader because within Aperture 3.5, I have set the the "Email Photo Export preset" within the preference menu to "Jpeg - Original Size".

Knowing this, I was perplexed as to why my 90 degree shots were not coming across at 100% of the file size like all my other pics. As you know, any alteration to the picture will cause Aperture to re-encode the JPEG preview... I just didn't realize it was doing it to the pictures that it needed to rotate... but it makes sense that it would do that.

So now that you explained it, I guess my work-around will be that I need to export any pictures shot at 90 degrees before uploading it into SmugMug.

Again, thanks for your explanation!!