Options

videos playing in lightbox mode?

ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
edited January 30, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I thought that video would not play in lightbox mode any more. In any gallery setting I have on my site, that is the case.

If viewing photos in lightbox mode, when you arrow to a video, the image appears and the circle appears to be attempting to load the video, but the video never loads. A visitor to my site, who used to view my site in Legacy, contacted me with "why won't this play", and the link was a lightbox link, so this confirms this behavior to me as well.

Yet on this site I see video playing in lightbox mode:

http://www.jimgucciardo.com/Feature-Film/Time-Elevator/i-hDdTkNt

What are the conditions that permit this?
Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    JohnHeroJohnHero Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2014
    You can view videos in lightbox on New SmugMug. The Journal, Thumbnail and Collage gallery style will automatically open in the lightbox when a video is clicked. If using SmugMug viewing style, you can get a link to the lightbox by clicking SHARE > GET A LINK > GALLERY LINKS > LIGHTBOX > COPY

If you need further assistance with this, please email us directly by going to help.smugmug.com and clicking the "Email Us" link.

John
    SmugMug Support Hero
    John
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2014
    John thanks for responding. I just tested every gallery style you listed, and the share/get a link to get the lightbox link, and none of them play. I have tried in FF 26, IE 11, Chrome 31.x, on my Lenovo laptop and work Dell. My visitor was using an HP laptop.

What one sees on the screen is misleading. The image appears to be a valid video. The bar at the bottom flickers briefly into view, then fades. If I'm quick to try to click the start arrow in the bottom corner, nothing happens. The arrow in the image looks like it's working. In some cases when I click the arrow, a circle for loading is visible. Yet in the end, no video plays.

I thought I saw this was the case on other threads as well, that only playing in Smugmug style will play a video, and not in lightbox mode there either.

My visitor had this problem.

I'm not saying I'm 100% right because somehow on that site I posted, they do work, but something isn't right.

I'll email help. Thanks.
  • Options
    JohnHeroJohnHero Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2014
    Hi Gwen,

I responded back to your email you sent to our help desk.

John
    SmugMug Support Hero
    John
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2014
    One thing to look at is the local storage Flash allows Smugmug to use. (With the video frame showing in the lightbox, right click and select "Settings". Not "Global Settings".) I had the video stall-out in the lightbox too (but not in SM Gallery mode) until I upped the storage allowance to 1 MB. That seemed like an awful lot, and it's not clear Smugmug ever actually uses that much storage, but that setting allowed my videos to run. 100 KB didn't. No guarantees, but it's something to try.

Jim Ringland
    jtringl.smugmug.com
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2014
    Jtring wrote: »
    One thing to look at is the local storage Flash allows Smugmug to use. (With the video frame showing in the lightbox, right click and select "Settings". Not "Global Settings".) I had the video stall-out in the lightbox too (but not in SM Gallery mode) until I upped the storage allowance to 1 MB. That seemed like an awful lot, and it's not clear Smugmug ever actually uses that much storage, but that setting allowed my videos to run. 100 KB didn't. No guarantees, but it's something to try.

Jim Ringland
    jtringl.smugmug.com

Thanks Jim for the info. According to SM I have some CSS problem in the main site theme CSS. I'm just kind of sitting stunned and trying to wrap my mind around what the fix needs to be, since 99.99% of it was added from help from the experts on this site.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2014
    For those who might need to de-bug their CSS and don't know how (surely I can't be the only one - hope hope :) ... SM gave me the method. I set up an unlisted gallery, and then went to Customize and clicked Just this Gallery, and then set a brand new theme for it. I chose the same style as my main site. Set the basic settings pretty close to what the main theme has. Then I added a video and some images to the gallery as test subjects. Then I copied the full CSS off the main site into Notepad++, and systematically added pieces to the Unlisted test gallery's Main Theme CSS (advanced settings), saving and publishing after each section. Playing video worked in lightbox until the problem code was added.

Lamah has posted updates to the lightbox code here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=241090
    http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Lightbox-captions

There are other bits of CSS that broke lightbox video viewing, I need to do a bit more test on them, apparently setting borders on thumbnails is a culprit.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2014
    JohnHero wrote: »
    You can view videos in lightbox on New SmugMug. The Journal, Thumbnail and Collage gallery style will automatically open in the lightbox when a video is clicked. If using SmugMug viewing style, you can get a link to the lightbox by clicking SHARE > GET A LINK > GALLERY LINKS > LIGHTBOX > COPY

If you need further assistance with this, please email us directly by going to help.smugmug.com and clicking the "Email Us" link.

John
    SmugMug Support Hero

John, FYI, videos play in every gallery style in lightbox mode, except slideshow. So, Portrait too.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    John, FYI, videos play in every gallery style in lightbox mode, except slideshow. So, Portrait too.
    Slideshow style does not offer any video support. It simply displays the photos and preview images of videos in a gallery as a photo slideshow. To be able to play back video, you would need to apply a different gallery style to the gallery. Or if you've clicked slideshow button in a gallery, you'd need to exist the slideshow before being able to play back any video.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2014
    Slideshow style does not offer any video support. It simply displays the photos and preview images of videos in a gallery as a photo slideshow. To be able to play back video, you would need to apply a different gallery style to the gallery. Or if you've clicked slideshow button in a gallery, you'd need to exist the slideshow before being able to play back any video.

Thanks, Sebastian. I hadn't as much intended to say the slideshow style was a problem, as to convey that ALL the other styles DO play video in lightbox mode. I think I have read many threads over the past that said only some of them would do this. Don't know if that was a statement based on, SM recently tweaked to bring more styles in, or someone's CSS code had problems (like mine did, and I didn't know it).

So, excepting slideshow style, if you have videos that don't play in lightbox mode, some code that is modifiable, should be checked and de-bugged.