I just got the following message in my e-mail:
"Lightworks Pro now works with the following cameras:

> Canon C300
> Canon 5D Mark II & III
> Nikon D800
> Go Pro Hero II
> Panasonic GH2
> iPhone 4 & 5

If you use any of these cameras to shoot your footage then you’ll be pleased to learn that Lightworks Pro can now capture your film without the need to transcode.

That means you can now enjoy lightning-fast editing, faster than ever before – straight out of your camera."

Previously, you had to transcode your camera's footage into one of the formats which Lightworks understood. This new capability should avoid most of that, saving time and saving HD space.

Lightworks Pro is purchased software, unlike the free version basic Lightworks, but the cost is pretty reasonable: £40 / €50 / $60 per seat per year. (Also a healthy educational discount.)

Free vs Pro list here:

http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=184

Features:

http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=182
http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24&Itemid=179

Windows version is very usable now, provided you have an appropriately fast computer.

Linux version is supposedly in late beta.

Mac version is planned.
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2013
    I downloaded this when they first released it. Myself and many other pro editors essentially cursed them out for absolutely wasting our time and I removed the software from my machine and wouldn't load it again unless someone was paying me to.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited June 19, 2013
    I downloaded this when they first released it. Myself and many other pro editors essentially cursed them out for absolutely wasting our time and I removed the software from my machine and wouldn't load it again unless someone was paying me to.

I used it last year for a 2 - camera, full-HD, long-format* video.

*(Finished video was 2:11.03 in length.)
    ziggy53
  • perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2013
    Awesome. I stick with Avid.
    edited June 29, 2013
    Awesome. I stick with Avid.

I just learned that Martin Scorsese’s latest project, "The Wolf of Wall Street", with Leonardo DiCaprio, (currently in post-production), is using EditShare servers and Lightworks for the production’s editing and storage. Thelma Schoonmaker is again the lead editor for the project. Other collaborators are using Avid and ProTools via AAF.

It doesn't have to be one or the other anymore. clap.gif

The Wolf of Wall Street Official Trailer
    ziggy53
    edited January 30, 2014
    Lightworks v11.5
    Lightworks v11.5 was just released. (Win and Linux, .deb and .rpm)

Review:
    http://www.zdnet.com/lightworks-and-lightworks-pro-11-5-review-video-nle-for-windows-and-linux-7000025717/

New features, compared to ver 11.1.1:
    • Added support for AJA I/O devices (Kona and Io XT) drivers 10.4.1 and higher required (Windows, Pro version only)
    • Added support for screen capture using the record panel (Pro version only)
    • Added support for Retina displays (Pro version only)
    • Added support for scalable user interface (Pro version only)
    • Added ability to change interface colour scheme (Pro version only)
    • Added YouTube export option to the export panel for Windows, Mac and Linux (Pro version only)
    • Added AC3 audio decode support for Windows, Mac and Linux (Windows filter no longer required)
    • Added ability to export to AVID DNxHD MOV using the EditShare MOV option (AVID DNxHD only)
    • Added ability to export MXF OP1a MXF files (AVC-Intra RP2027 export option) (Pro version only)
    • Added ability to create Macros from the Key Assignments panel (Pro version only)
    • Added ability to search on the Key Assignments panel
    • Added time-indicator strips to tiles (when you mouse-over)
    • Added Curve effect to FX Colour Correction effects
    • Added "Use Marks" option to the export panel
    • Added Sync Group improvements, a record edit can now be synced with the sync group
    • Added ability to generate a random edit based on users settings from the sync group
    • Added background export. Background tasks now appear on the Tasks tab of the Project Card
    • Added generating audio waveforms as a background task
    • Added "Auto" frame rate project generation. New projects set to "Auto" will not have a defined frame rate until the first clip is imported
    • Introduced playback controls to source and edit viewers
    • Added magnetic snapping on all panels (this can be turned off in System Settings)
    • Introduced ruler on timelines
    • Introduced Right click functionality (Export, Add FX)
    • Change the appearance of Lightworks. Scale, Window Colour, Text colour, Heading Colour, Subheading Colour, Selection Colour, Brightness, Typeface and Wallpaper image (Pro version only)
    • Changed default media location to: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks folder (this avoids any Windows permissions issues, removing the need to start once as Administrator)
    • Removed constraint on media locations in the Free versions. Free users can now specify where their media folders are stored
    • Added ability to Insert/Replace a source into a record edit if one is not open (a record edit will automatically be opened and the source Inserted/Replaced)

Both a totally "free" version (with limitations and restrictions) and a "Pro" version are available, with the Pro version selling for:

Subscription:
    $79.99USD | 59.99€ | £49.99 per year
    $7.99USD | 5.99€ | £4.99 Per month

Perpetual license, single version:
    $279.99USD | 214.99€ | £179.99
    ziggy53