New SmugMug iOS Browsing App!

Comments

• ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2014
    mishenka wrote: »
    Two questions:

1) Who gave you permission to create a folder called "Saved From SmugMug" on my iPhone? I understand that I wanted to save an image to my CamerRoll and I permitted access to the CameraRoll... but that does not give you any rights to surprise me with things like new folders. Bad design, thoughtless design decision. On the same note - upon saving the image... guess where it went.. nope.. NOT to the new folder called "Saved From SmugMug". It actually went to a CamerRoll.

2) Upon viewing a watermarked image on the iPhone, the watermark shows for a moment and then dissapears. Saved image did not have watermark as well. I guess it will go with Allen's question "What size photos are being sent to the iPhone?" ????

album I am talking about is /Events/"Cohoes Music Hall - Annie"

1) Its not really a new folder (as somebody else mentioned) its more of a collection, images should* still go to both locations, many apps actually do this as it makes it easier to find photos related to that app. I say should* because it sounds like there is a bug there in that the photo should have showed up in both locations but didn't make it to the 'SmugMug' folder, I'll need to look into that.

2) The reason you see that is because (in 2.0) I was requesting a custom size for your iPhone which was 1.5x the screen resolution, when rendering a custom size **for a logged-in owner** past a certain size its being rendered from the original image so it would not have a watermark. So, when you first load up lightbox I show thumbs (so you have something to look at) and thumbs always have watermarks, once the 'preview' size is fetched I show that and it happens to not have a watermark. As of 2.0.1 for iPhones I just use X3 size, now only retina iPads use a custom size.
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
    edited February 3, 2014
    mrhoni wrote: »
    I'm using iPad Air.
    First time at each gallery it goes though what looks like a download. For many galleries, a few images are displayed and then the wheels just spin for all the other images. I back out of the gallery and then go back in and the rest of the images appear.

This is a download queuing issue, we try our best to smartly queue up images as you're looking at those pages but (especially when quickly browsing) the queue can get out of sorts, improving the queue is something we're working on.
    mrhoni wrote: »
    Now when I go into a gallery that was loaded, are the photos actually loaded onto my iPad? I think they are as the App's memory has grown by a lot once I started to access each of my galleries.
    I ask this because when viewing an image, it is not clear and after some seconds it is sharp. Why the delay? I timed a photo and it took 15 seconds from fuzzy to sharp. It almost seems that I have to view each image, wait for it to go from fuzzy to sharp and then move onto the next image. It seems the first time I view the image it takes many seconds to go from fuzzy to sharp and then the next time viewing it is < 1 second from fuzzy to sharp.

Another problem is that images showing on the iPad have the "PROOF" watermark displaying. This watermark is not on the image in my Smugmug gallery.

When you land on an album (thumbnail view) here is what happens:

1) Queue for download all the thumbs for all the images visible
    2) Queue for download all the 'preview sized' image for all images visible ('preview size' is different depending on what device you're on).
    3) Queue for download all the thumbs for that album
    4) Queue for download all the 'preview sized' images for that album

As you scroll through the thumbs #1 and #2 keep happening

When you land in the lightbox (preview view) we start prioritizing the 'preview size' of whatever image you're on but until its downloaded we show you the thumbnail (fuzzy) size, once its downloaded we show you the preview (sharp) size.

The reason you always see your watermarks is because we're downloading 'display' size images (ie X3) not the original which would remove the watermark, in future versions we want to add the ability to download originals.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
    edited February 3, 2014
    fankle wrote: »
    Is it possible to see captions in the app?

(I can't and can't see a way to turn it on)

Thanks,

Alison

Currently no, but its on the list of requested features :)
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
    edited February 3, 2014
    JezS wrote: »
    I really like the new app, a big improvement on the old one - thank you! However, there's something strange happening. I have a gallery that's set up so the photos are sorted on date taken in descending order - in other words the latest photos appears at the top.

When I initially view that gallery from the app everything appears correctly, but on subsequent visit any new photos are added at the end rather than the beginning.

Any clues?

Jez

Interesting issue, will have to look into this, thanks for reporting it!
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2014
    What happens to the memory size on my iPhone as all these X3's are downloaded? I can see these put
    in a cache but it needs to be cleared when the app is closed. I see no reason they are saved anywhere
    on an iPhone. Unless I manually save a few.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited February 3, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    What happens to the memory size on my iPhone as all these X3's are downloaded? I can see these put
    in a cache but it needs to be cleared when the app is closed. I see no reason they are saved anywhere
    on an iPhone. Unless I manually save a few.

Yes, the X3's are 'cached' in the app, along with the thumbs, no photos are saved elsewhere unless you manually do that. The feature to limit or clear the cache is on the list of things to do.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2014
    Shizam wrote: »
    The feature to limit or clear the cache is on the list of things to do.
    Why is that feature on the list of things to add later? That feature should have been designed-in right at the start.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
    edited February 3, 2014
    Yes, the X3's are 'cached' in the app, along with the thumbs, no photos are saved elsewhere unless you manually do that. The feature to limit or clear the cache is on the list of things to do.
    Reason I asked is a friend of mine who's 81 was having trouble after lots of browsing.
    edited February 3, 2014
    Reason I asked is a friend of mine who's 81 was having trouble after lots of browsing.

Define 'trouble'.

Also, are you implying us young folk have an easier time browsing ? mwink.gif
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2014
    Define 'trouble'.

I am very sorry for what I am about to say, perhaps I may offend you (personally). I do not know what he is implying, but what I am implying is that you, "young folks", have no concept of "design". Seems like you (personally) just programmed, literally 'programmed", coded an app without really thinking of what the output should be at all. Honestly, I know it's too late to discuss, but what were you thinking when rendering view based on the original thus stripping away watermark? How is it not natural to think of potential huge, accumulating amount of cash size? how? why not to think about it?

I know you are a very smart guy and pretty good coder. But there are more in making a good software than just being able to code.
    edited February 3, 2014
    Define 'trouble'.

I think everything slowed way down on him, don't really remember.

rolleyes1.gif "us young folk" speak for yourself, I'm only 11 yrs behind him.
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2014
    I am very sorry for what I am about to say, perhaps I may offend you (personally). I do not know what he is implying, but what I am implying is that you, "young folks", have no concept of "design". Seems like you (personally) just programmed, literally 'programmed", coded an app without really thinking of what the output should be at all. Honestly, I know it's too late to discuss, but what were you thinking when rendering view based on the original thus stripping away watermark? How is it not natural to think of potential huge, accumulating amount of cash size? how? why not to think about it?

I know you are a very smart guy and pretty good coder. But there are more in making a good software than just being able to code.

Michael, I think telling someone they have no concept of design is a little harsh. I am sorry the app isn't good enough for you, but directing your requests can be done in a mature, constructive manner. Please refer to the DGrin TOS

Personal attacks will not be tolerated. You can challenge others' points of view and opinions, but you will do so respectfully, thoughtfully and preferably in a constructive manner.

Violating these TOS can result in a ban. Please refrain from attacks in any future posts.

And what do you mean by "cash size"?
  • mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Michael, I think telling someone they have no concept of design is a little harsh. I am sorry the app isn't good enough for you, but directing your requests can be done in a mature, constructive manner. Please refer to the DGrin TOS

Personal attacks will not be tolerated. You can challenge others' points of view and opinions, but you will do so respectfully, thoughtfully and preferably in a constructive manner.

Violating these TOS can result in a ban. Please refrain from attacks in any future posts.

And what do you mean by "cash size"?

Michael,
    Realy no need to mention TOS. You are a private corp and do not need to justify banning me from any private discussions:) I do not have to be "politically correct" with my view and opinion. If anyone is offended - it is their choice to interpret these views and opinion as offense. However I agree that some individuals are more sensitive than the others - that is why I mentioned in my post that it might sound as offensive.

The reality of it is that by this coder personal admission
    the application does not have functionality to clear temporary files that are being generated in large quantity during the use of the application. (There was a typo in my post: "cash size" = "caChe size"). Even without this coder's statement it was evident, at least to people with technical background, that the cach is not cleared. Considering that the software is targeting a hardware with limited storage capabilities I asked a very natural question abut what was his thought process when coding? Is this offensive? You are suggesting I should have asked this question in "...a mature, constructive manner". Michael-in some, perhaps more conservative, companies people actually get constructively and very maturely fired if they delivered systems that lack basics functionality like the cach cleaning. It was a question from the bottom of my heart. I understand your official position to monitor the forum pages and shield your employees from outside (verbal) attacks. But, Michael, wrong is always wrong no matter how the message is being delivered to. Did anyone take it as an offence?

I actually applaud the developer for clearly articulating the above fact as well as others, such as disappearance of the watermark. Yes, it has been fixed in the new version. But I still want to ask what was the thought process during the development cycle - did he think why we have watermarks as part of SM service? Did he think it is right to remove my watermarks from my images after I directed SM to place them there? Is this such an unreasonable or offensive question? Should I not be asking the coder considering he is right here on this forum and willingly participates in the discussion?

Michael - how about if I tell you that this app(lication), the way it was coded and delivered to me, offends and violates my TOS? :)
    edited February 4, 2014
    How about a settings check box where the owner can set the max size to be downloaded?

X3's on an iPhone is totally useless to me and extremely slow.
    edited February 4, 2014
    How about a settings check box where the owner can set the max size to be downloaded?

X3's on an iPhone is totally useless to me and extremely slow.

Yea,
    This is certainly something that could go in the 'downloads' settings which is where caching settings would sit as well. The reason I pick X3 (1600x1200) is so there is some room to zoom even on a iPhone 5 (640x1136), admittedly on an iPhone 4 (640x960) I could use X2 (1280x960) which I'll make a note to do.

The reason against having a setting like this is it could be confusing, if we just gave a list of size options people wouldn't necessarily have a context for picking one, they could pick one too small such that every photo looks blurry. I could see an option to the effect of 'Download smaller images for display, zooming will be disabled' and I'd request specific image sizes to fit your screen but disallow zooming which would make for blurry images. ne_nau.gif

Its even more of a problem on retina iPads, I have to request a custom image size of 2048 on the longest side just to fill the screen with a 1:1 pixel mapping.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
    edited February 4, 2014
    Yea,
    This is certainly something that could go in the 'downloads' settings which is where caching settings would sit as well. The reason I pick X3 (1600x1200) is so there is some room to zoom even on a iPhone 5 (640x1136), admittedly on an iPhone 4 (640x960) I could use X2 (1280x960) which I'll make a note to do.

The reason against having a setting like this is it could be confusing, if we just gave a list of size options people wouldn't necessarily have a context for picking one, they could pick one too small such that every photo looks blurry. I could see an option to the effect of 'Download smaller images for display, zooming will be disabled' and I'd request specific image sizes to fit your screen but disallow zooming which would make for blurry images. ne_nau.gif

Its even more of a problem on retina iPads, I have to request a custom image size of 2048 on the longest side just to fill the screen with a 1:1 pixel mapping.
    Yesterday I loaded apt on my wife's iPhone an got spinning circle that would not go away. Closed apt
    in background then rebooted and it came back ok. Today, just got off phone, my buddy did a lot of
    browsing and now has spinning circle.

I really need the zoom but on that small of display I would think as small as large would work.
    edited February 4, 2014
    Yesterday I loaded apt on my wife's iPhone an got spinning circle that would not go away. Closed apt
    in background then rebooted and it came back ok. Today, just got off phone, my buddy did a lot of
    browsing and now has spinning circle.

I really need the zoom but on that small of display I would think as small as large would work.

Small or large!? Small is 400x300 and large is 800x600, on a 1136x640 (5/5S/5C) or 960x640 (4/4S) screen small would be pretty bad and large would look like something was wrong :)

As an experiment you can see what small would look like right now since the 'thumbnails' I download are actually smalls: Go to an album w/> 50 images you've never been to yet and don't enter light-box, just sit on the album for several seconds until its downloaded a bunch of 'thumbnails' but not the preview sized images. Now exit the app and turn off your network and revisit that album, go to an image that doesn't have the white box around it (indicating the preview is downloaded) and you can see a small image up-rezed to fill the screen, it'll look pretty blurry.

For the spinning circles, I think thats some downloading queuing issues on my end, I have that on my list to look into.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
    edited February 4, 2014
    Michael,
    Realy no need to mention TOS. You are a private corp and do not need to justify banning me from any private discussions:) I do not have to be "politically correct" with my view and opinion. If anyone is offended - it is their choice to interpret these views and opinion as offense. However I agree that some individuals are more sensitive than the others - that is why I mentioned in my post that it might sound as offensive.

The reality of it is that by this coder personal admission

the application does not have functionality to clear temporary files that are being generated in large quantity during the use of the application. (There was a typo in my post: "cash size" = "caChe size"). Even without this coder's statement it was evident, at least to people with technical background, that the cach is not cleared. Considering that the software is targeting a hardware with limited storage capabilities I asked a very natural question abut what was his thought process when coding? Is this offensive? You are suggesting I should have asked this question in "...a mature, constructive manner". Michael-in some, perhaps more conservative, companies people actually get constructively and very maturely fired if they delivered systems that lack basics functionality like the cach cleaning. It was a question from the bottom of my heart. I understand your official position to monitor the forum pages and shield your employees from outside (verbal) attacks. But, Michael, wrong is always wrong no matter how the message is being delivered to. Did anyone take it as an offence?

I actually applaud the developer for clearly articulating the above fact as well as others, such as disappearance of the watermark. Yes, it has been fixed in the new version. But I still want to ask what was the thought process during the development cycle - did he think why we have watermarks as part of SM service? Did he think it is right to remove my watermarks from my images after I directed SM to place them there? Is this such an unreasonable or offensive question? Should I not be asking the coder considering he is right here on this forum and willingly participates in the discussion?

Michael - how about if I tell you that this app(lication), the way it was coded and delivered to me, offends and violates my TOS? :)

I prefer to not waste a very valuable member of my development team's time by having to justify thought processes. I would rather have him fixing issue and making the app better. He doesn't owe you an explanation of his thought process. Just like you don't need to offer us an explanation of why you don't like the app. If you have a SUGGESTION or FEATURE request, than fine. Submit it. But please don't waste our time by getting into Freudian discussions. We have other things to do.

And if it violates you TOS, then please by all means, delete the app thumb.gif
  • JezSJezS Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2014

I updated to the new version and even went so far as to remove then re-add my gallery. Still the same behaviour - it's all OK on the first load, but then the ordering is off when a new photo is added.

Jez
    edited February 7, 2014
    JezS wrote: »
    I updated to the new version and even went so far as to remove then re-add my gallery. Still the same behaviour - it's all OK on the first load, but then the ordering is off when a new photo is added.

Jez

Hey Jez,
    Thanks for going through the trouble to double check that, I have this issue slated for a fix probably in 2.0.3 (2.0.1 just came out and 2.0.2. is about to come out, both of which mostly focus on some crashing issues related to UTF-8 characters in album/folder names). 2.0.3 will have some usability fixes like this in there and I'll be sure to ping you.

Sam
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
    edited February 7, 2014
    Hey Jez,
    Thanks for going through the trouble to double check that, I have this issue slated for a fix probably in 2.0.3 (2.0.1 just came out and 2.0.2. is about to come out, both of which mostly focus on some crashing issues related to UTF-8 characters in album/folder names). 2.0.3 will have some usability fixes like this in there and I'll be sure to ping you.

Sam

Brilliant Sam - thank you very much for letting me know! thumb.gif
    edited February 26, 2014
    It's getting worse! I add a photo to the gallery every day but the app has failed to pick up any of the new ones in the past couple of days. I even un-starred the gallery and added it again as a favourite but all to no avail.

Jez
  • mrhonimrhoni Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2014
    I've given up
    I was out of town and there was no wifi and just LTE on my iPad. I had assumed that all photos had been loaded to my iPad as the memory for the app increased as I opened each album previously.

So now there I am looking to show photos and it was very slow to redisplay each image in the album. Even if the images are on my iPad that was just too slow.

For now will just keep paying for Adobe Revel.
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited March 4, 2014
    Wow, how did I not see this until now. Can't wait to get home and try it out!
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • phl0wphl0w Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 3, 2014
    I really like the new app for iPad/iPhone- thanks for that! I even prefer it to my two other paid apps that I bought when there was no proper app from smugmug themselves available. I think it was already mentioned, however, quite some time ago: I'd really, really, really appreciate it if the app (upon notifying me of changed data, and my clicking the OK button) would actually sort newly added pictures according to my chosen sort order for each gallery, and not add them to the bottom. Hopefully this is possible to implement without the workaround of clearing the cache. I (and I'm sure most users) publish new or edited pictures on a nearly daily basis to my smugmug galleries via LR, and clearing the cache, and re-caching X3 or even originals in the process is not very viable.
  • demdem Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2014
    I really like the speed and design of version 2.1 on my iPhone and iPad, but on both devices it crashes repeatedly when viewing certain galleries. Logging out and back in removed some of the crashes but not all. Deleting and reinstalling seems to have cleared everything up.
    Dave
    edited July 28, 2014
    I've upgraded to 2.1 and my problems have disappeared. It feels snappier, my galleries are displaying as intended and updating correctly when new photos are added. Thank you!
  • javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2014
    The new app is definitely an improvement. Thanks Smugmug! I find that it still performs less than stellar over LTE connections, but it's much better than before.
    edited August 5, 2014
    Thanks everyone! We continue to make improvements, and have some cool updates coming your way.
  • kimbomackimbomac Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! We continue to make improvements, and have some cool updates coming your way.

Yay! I check out the product News forums every day, hoping that my wishlist will start coming true!
    Kimbomac

(FeaturePhotography.net)