Options

Video not working

chipphillipschipphillips Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
edited February 4, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Hi, the video on this page isn't working:
http://www.chipphillipsphotography.com/Other/Videos/21945010_GhtPKD
It just says, "loading video".
It does work when I log in, however, and it works when I play the video in my site files.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Chip
chipphillipsphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    mrneutronmrneutron Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2014
    Check to make sure the video is not in an unlisted or password protected gallery.
    Andy K
    SmugMug Support Hero
    help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    mrneutron wrote: »
    Check to make sure the video is not in an unlisted or password protected gallery.

It has been up and working for a couple of years now, and just stopped all of a sudden. I didn't move it or change anything.
    Thanks,
    Chip
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2014
    mrneutron wrote: »
    I'm using a direct link to a keyword not logged in and looking at the system /keyword page.
    I'm clicking both the KW on the system page and one under photo caption in a public gallery
    that opens the /keyword page.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    Hey Allen,
    Sorry, I don't understand. Any ideas on what I should do to fix this?
    Thanks,
    Chip
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    Hey Allen,
    Sorry, I don't understand. Any ideas on what I should do to fix this?
    Thanks,
    Chip
    Oops, my last reply is for another thread.
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2014
    It looks like your site is still a Legacy site, is that correct?
    Where is the video file located? You have it embedded on that page, is that correct?

I ask because in New Smugmug, there are limits and rules for how video files can be embedded on your site. I'm wondering if the video is broken now because it violates the rules of New smugmug. That did happen to me on my legacy site, before I unveiled to New.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    It looks like your site is still a Legacy site, is that correct?
    Where is the video file located? You have it embedded on that page, is that correct?

I ask because in New Smugmug, there are limits and rules for how video files can be embedded on your site. I'm wondering if the video is broken now because it violates the rules of New smugmug. That did happen to me on my legacy site, before I unveiled to New.

Yes, that is correct. I have the video file located in a galley called "site files" and embedded on that page.
    Thanks,
    Chip
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    There seems to be something wrong with the photo/video link. Is external bedding on in its gallery?

http://www.chipphillipsphotography.com/photos/1752292718_tb6jNHC
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    There seems to be something wrong with the photo/video link. Is external bedding on in its gallery?

http://www.chipphillipsphotography.com/photos/1752292718_tb6jNHC

"external links" is checked "yes" but I don't see an "external bedding" category.
    Can you think of any reason why it stopped working today after working fine for a few years? I didn't change anything...
    Thanks,
    Chip
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    Some HTML customization in Legacy breaks now. The rules that apply to New Smugmug, can and so somehow affect what works in Legacy mode. Embedded video is a big-ticket item that has new and restrictive rules in the new world.

When are you thinking of updating your site to New?
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    What I mean is, HTML that may have worked just fine in Legacy, may not be working currently. The new rules for HTML and CSS in general in New Smugmug have also undergone a drastic change with new requirements.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    What I mean is, HTML that may have worked just fine in Legacy, may not be working currently. The new rules for HTML and CSS in general in New Smugmug have also undergone a drastic change with new requirements.

I haven't switched to the New because I can't use my custom shopping cart. I do a lot of business through print sales and videos and need this function for my business. Otherwise I'd switch (if the same customization was available with the New). Could you help me figure out a way to fix this issue? I'd really appreciate any help with this. I'll be out for the next couple of hours but will check in when I get back.
    Thanks for the help!
    Chip
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    I don't use a shopping cart, custom or otherwise, but I believe some folks have written code to create shopping carts in New Smugmug. Maybe someone will add the links here.

Are you asking how to fix the broken video on your Legacy site? I don't think you can [IF the reason it's broken is due to the seepage of the New rules into Legacy]. In this case I suggest removing the video from the HTML. If you were to add it to the gallery itself as a standard video to play, that would work. In other words re-write the page layout on that page.

HOWEVER, I believe some people have reported that when they went to try to fix broken HTML on a Legacy gallery, it stayed broken. I'm not sure of the conditions that applied here. Maybe those who tried and failed will add in the details of their experience. In my own experience, I did see broken HTML in many gallery descriptions in Legacy, while I was creating the new site in private mode. I never attempted to fix them, having heard about problems. Some galleries with custom HTML continued to work, some broke. Youtube embedded videos is another element that has new rules in new Smugmug, and on my Legacy site, in some galleries the old HTML embed code continued to work for viewers, but some galleries did not. It seemed very hit or miss.

It may be time to start creating your new site?
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    I just added this to a gallery description in legacy and it ran, although took a while to load.

• Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    One thing to do if you haven't already, is to have .txt files of all of your custom HTML. That was the only thing that saved my bee-hind, in several instances, because the HTML on the site itself was so broken on many pages. If you haven't got a backup of your HTML, and you check a gallery and see that the HTML is still viable, it would be a good idea to save it to a .txt file, because it's not clear how long the code will remain good.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    I always forget to say something. There are new rules for HTML and CSS in New smugmug. So even though you might have backup txt files of your custom HTML, that used to work perfectly in Legacy, you may find inserting that code in New mode will still result in a broken page. Then it will be a bit painstaking to figure out how to get workable HTML.

For me, it was painstaking to the point of utter abject failure and despair. Allen gave me fixed code that set me on the path to understanding the new rules.

The value of having your Legacy HTML in txt files is so that you can reference it in, say, a browser, or on Dreamweaver, as you tweak the gallery in New mode.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    This might be the prints code for New: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=241478
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited February 4, 2014
    I haven't switched to the New because I can't use my custom shopping cart. I do a lot of business through print sales and videos and need this function for my business. Otherwise I'd switch (if the same customization was available with the New). Could you help me figure out a way to fix this issue?
    You should be able to use Lamah's Add a PayPal shopping cart to your SmugMug galleries.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    I just added this to a gallery description in legacy and it ran, although took a while to load.
    <html>
    <iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="http://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/2241846343_s5CqSdz?width=640&height=360"></IFRAME&gt;
    </html>

Thanks Allen-Could you tell me where to put that in my gallery to make it work?
    Chip
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    You should be able to use Lamah's Add a PayPal shopping cart to your SmugMug galleries.

--- Denise
    That would be great! I'll have to check out some examples and if it works, make the switch.
    Chip
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    Chip
    If on legacy put it in any gallery description or your biobox.

Iframe's do not work on NewSmug
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    If on legacy put it in any gallery description or your biobox.

Iframe's do not work on NewSmug

Your current legacy html has some kind of code for the video. I think you would replace it with the code Allen gave you.

And while iframes don't work on new smug, there is a "video content block" which you drag and put in place on your site, and then click to choose the video to show there. It's not an iframe, but you can put videos anywhere on your page.

Allowed videos are those you have on your smugmug site, youtube, and vimeo.
    I certainly do wish there could be a Facebook content block as well.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    Chip
    Replace this photo ID and key with one of your videos.

2241846343_s5CqSdz

I tried yours and it did not work in this html so pick another video and see if it works.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    Replace this photo ID and key with one of your videos.

2241846343_s5CqSdz

I tried yours and it did not work in this html so pick another video and see if it works.

That didn't work for me Allen. I tired uploading a new video and that didn't work. Now, when I click "edit" in that gallery, nothing shows up. I can still edit in the little box by the gallery thumb though. This is very frustrating! Thanks for the help. Any other suggestions?
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    That didn't work for me Allen. I tired uploading a new video and that didn't work. Now, when I click "edit" in that gallery, nothing shows up. I can still edit in the little box by the gallery thumb though. This is very frustrating! Thanks for the help. Any other suggestions?

In legacy when one is not able to edit the gallery description in the gallery itself, that usually has to do with the html code being bad in some way. If you copy the description out of the field where it is in the gallery settings (which it sounds like you do know how to access), and put that in notepad, you can de-bug the html there.

Or, unfortunately, this may be where the New rules have seeped into the old, so that the iframe code is not being accepted at all.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    In legacy when one is not able to edit the gallery description in the gallery itself, that usually has to do with the html code being bad in some way. If you copy the description out of the field where it is in the gallery settings (which it sounds like you do know how to access), and put that in notepad, you can de-bug the html there.

Or, unfortunately, this may be where the New rules have seeped into the old, so that the iframe code is not being accepted at all.

That doesn't seem to be the issue-I just uploaded a video to youtube and embedded it with iframe and it works fine. Maybe I'll stick with that even though it doesn't look as good
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014

The embedded videos played on my legacy site.

http://www.photosbyat.com/Other/Mixed-Bag/1895722_8rQgXJ#!i=65813355&k=NkHHrGC

This in gallery description
    <html>
    <iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="http://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1353324755_8zhnW3F?width=640&height=360"></IFRAME&gt;
    </html>
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    That doesn't seem to be the issue-I just uploaded a video to youtube and embedded it with iframe and it works fine. Maybe I'll stick with that even though it doesn't look as good
    I put my old code back in, and now I am able to edit in the larger box-at least got that figured out!
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    I put my old code back in, and now I am able to edit in the larger box-at least got that figured out!
    Video is now running here. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    Video is now running here. thumb.gif

Yes, that is the Youtube version (with iframe). Still no luck uploading to my site files and using the embed/share function. I'd rather use the video from my site files. Thanks Allen. Chip