Options

I believe I can fly

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited February 5, 2014 in Wildlife
Baylands Preserve comprises the shore area near Silicon Valley, near San Francisco. Found couple of new birds that I had not seen before. Birders told me they were Meadow Lark and Bit Urn, if I got it right. Also caught some ducks in flight besides mallards, and also other birds in flight, that I had not done before! All help/criticism cherished. Below are my attempts:

1)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-11-X2.jpg

2)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-14-X2.jpg

3)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-15-X2.jpg

4)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-X2.jpg

5)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-16-X2.jpg

6)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-21-X2.jpg

7)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-27-X2.jpg

8)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-31-X2.jpg

9)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-20-2-X2.jpg

10)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-31-2-X2.jpg

11)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-40-X2.jpg

12)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-49-X2.jpg

13)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-53-2-X2.jpg

14)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-55-X2.jpg

15)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-59-X2.jpg

16)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-94-X2.jpg

17)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-70-2-X2.jpg

18)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-69-X2.jpg

19)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-74-2-X2.jpg

20)

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-70-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2014
    A good set i really like number 10
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2014
    wave01 wrote: »
    A good set i really like number 10

Thanks! Much appreciated!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2014
    3 and 13 are killer! 12 has some funny processing artifacts
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2014
    Qarik wrote: »
    3 and 13 are killer! 12 has some funny processing artifacts

Thanks Daniel/Guru!! I tried hard, but couldn't put my finger on anything in #12. Drop a hint when you can! Cheers!!
  • Options
    kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2014
    Great set, I really like numbers 10, 16, 17 and 18.
    www.Prideinphotography.com
    Powered by Smugmug
    Three passions wildlife, golf and the STEELERS
    Equipment
    Nikon D4, D300
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 28, 2014
    Great set! 16 is my favorite, fabulous...

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2014
    kgarrett11 wrote: »
    Great set, I really like numbers 10, 16, 17 and 18.
    Great set! 16 is my favorite, fabulous...

--- Denise

Thanks guys for kind words! It was experimental visit as I was testing 7D camera body with crop sensor that I had rented. It gives me 1.6X crop factor and it worked, so for wildlife that is one quick way to get higher reach! On used market one can get 7D body for 700 bucks or so. Cheers!
  • Options
    SAJohnsonSAJohnson Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2014
    Nice set..
    Love #3
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. ~Scott Adams
  • Options
    marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2014
    Wow, great shots. Lol, it's "Bittern" not Bit Urn. https://www.google.com/search?q=bittern&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8HroUsu9IcXjsASU1oKYDg&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1228&bih=691
    I've got some bird shots but they're mostly kinda far away and like scenic in aspect.
    Did you sit in a blind, waiting for them?
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2014
    marionet wrote: »
    Wow, great shots. Lol, it's "Bittern" not Bit Urn. https://www.google.com/search?q=bittern&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8HroUsu9IcXjsASU1oKYDg&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1228&bih=691
    I've got some bird shots but they're mostly kinda far away and like scenic in aspect.
    Did you sit in a blind, waiting for them?

rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for dropping the knowledge! I am not a birder, and not very clever, just love beautiful things, including wildlife! The "Bittern" was beautiful!

Part of getting wildlife shots I believe is learning animal behavior somewhat. I have started to notice things like the way Geese crank up the sounds right before taking off....or duckies wobble their heads before taking off...and if one does, more than likely their friend or two will follow....so I let go of the first one and wait for second one.....and yes the spot is also the key.....I noticed which direction they take off and where it would better to catch them....and finally if you are sort of hiding out....they kind of relax and then stuff happens right in front of your eyes.

Solution for "far away" shots is to either get bigger zoom, but those are pretty expensive....or get crop sensor body, like 7D, in used market it is 700 bucks or so. So if you have 300mm, with 1.6 crop factor it would become 480 mm or so. Crop zoom during processing also works. Most of my shots are 30-40% of the frame only. However, for crop zoom to work, focus should be sharp and ofcourse high pixel density etc.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2014
    Hm, 7D sounds like Canon; I have Nikon, longest lens is a 50-200 kit lens that's a little longer on my 4/3 body. I could make a lot more excuses, but I'm not driven to make the kind of shots you show; I'm content to just look at your pictures. But I do love birds and I feel sort of grateful for being able to see your pictures.

Also, btw, I edit my pix like a maniac, and I don't think I've ever shot digital that I didn't crop. In the studio is different, but with outside, I'm with you 100% on cropping.
  • Options
    antaanta Banned Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 29, 2014
    beautiful, very nice
    A good set i really like number 19
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2014
    western meadowlark is very good 14 northern shoveler great capture and 3 also
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2014
    Number 3 is the best of the set IMHO you got all the colors of the Shoveler and good feather detail. 13 and 14 is a good landing sequence and a tough angle for the AF to keep up with with them coming at you , like the way you caught him just before touching the water.
    Bitterns are tough to find in the open to get a decent shot and to catch them preening is cool.
    Meadowlark has a great pose it would have been great if he was facing the sun, but it was nice of him to sit still long enough.
    You are getting the great Blue herons with meals action regularly now
    The Snowy Egret is nice take off and the white feathers are a tough thing to keep from blowing out.
    A good day for you for sure.
    They are having a Wild Bird Festival in Galt CA this weekend 2/1
    http://www.ci.galt.ca.us/index.aspx?page=495
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2014
    marionet wrote: »
    Hm, 7D sounds like Canon; I have Nikon, longest lens is a 50-200 kit lens that's a little longer on my 4/3 body. I could make a lot more excuses, but I'm not driven to make the kind of shots you show; I'm content to just look at your pictures. But I do love birds and I feel sort of grateful for being able to see your pictures.

Also, btw, I edit my pix like a maniac, and I don't think I've ever shot digital that I didn't crop. In the studio is different, but with outside, I'm with you 100% on cropping.

Thanks Bill! Much appreciated!
    anta wrote: »
    beautiful, very nice
    A good set i really like number 19

Thanks Anta! Welcome aboard!
    jwear wrote: »
    western meadowlark is very good 14 northern shoveler great capture and 3 also

I love the fact you not only love photographing wildlife but also know it! I am working on the latter! Thanks much for comments!
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2014
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    Number 3 is the best of the set IMHO you got all the colors of the Shoveler and good feather detail. 13 and 14 is a good landing sequence and a tough angle for the AF to keep up with with them coming at you , like the way you caught him just before touching the water.
    Bitterns are tough to find in the open to get a decent shot and to catch them preening is cool.
    Meadowlark has a great pose it would have been great if he was facing the sun, but it was nice of him to sit still long enough.
    You are getting the great Blue herons with meals action regularly now
    The Snowy Egret is nice take off and the white feathers are a tough thing to keep from blowing out.
    A good day for you for sure.
    They are having a Wild Bird Festival in Galt CA this weekend 2/1
    http://www.ci.galt.ca.us/index.aspx?page=495

Chris I have been hoping to hear from you!! Thanks much!

You are so right about the landing sequence for #13 and #14...I wanted to capture the moment of splash and did but it was out of focus.:cry

I wish I could go to the festival but unfortunately I made a commitment to a photo shoot with a meetup group that I help organize. But I WILL go to your neighborhood soon and get the cranes that you posted. IMHO you might want to crop the ones in water and it would be a wall hanger!

Here is the another shot of Meadow Lark.....not sure if it is necessarily better but slightly different.

1201_bayland_preserve_0067-37-X2.jpg
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2014
    I like the second meadowlark shot , the head angle the feather detail the angle of the shot you were either on the ground but it looks like the bird might have been on a raised area or hill.
    I am going to stop by Consumnes tomorrow morning, might be raining but it will beat the crowds that will be there this weekend.
    If you get out this way give me a shout (or PM)could give you a tour of the better spots to shoot
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2014
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    I like the second meadowlark shot , the head angle the feather detail the angle of the shot you were either on the ground but it looks like the bird might have been on a raised area or hill.
    I am going to stop by Consumnes tomorrow morning, might be raining but it will beat the crowds that will be there this weekend.
    If you get out this way give me a shout (or PM)could give you a tour of the better spots to shoot

Awesome! Just made my day! I would do that and is schedules align that would be awesome! I extend same offer to you. If you ever come up to Bay Area, this spot where I have gotten most of my shots, I would love to show you! Please do not hesitate for a moment. You may find bunch of keepers here. They don't have the vast variety that you find over your side, but still pretty cool!
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2014
    I love how they appear above the water. Very beautiful.

Thanks! Much appreciated! Beautiful creatures indeed!
  • Options
    MJoliatMJoliat Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2014
    Very nice shots! Very crisp detail and wonderful colors. It's not hard to see why they call it "the golden hour"!
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2014
    MJoliat wrote: »
    Very nice shots! Very crisp detail and wonderful colors. It's not hard to see why they call it "the golden hour"!

Thanks much! There is no substitute for light in early morning and golden hour!
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2014
    Stunning! Awesome series of images! Thanks for posting them, you make that 7D, "Sing". Good job.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2014
    Stunning! Awesome series of images! Thanks for posting them, you make that 7D, "Sing". Good job.

Thanks! Made my day!