New! Additional Design Options In Gallery Styles

mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
edited February 11, 2014 in SmugMug Product News
Hi Dgrinners!

This one is pretty cool. Ever wanted to make the Photos in your Collage gallery style bigger? Or change the spacing between the thumbnails of the SmugMug gallery style? Well, now you can! When in a gallery, click Customize--->Customize Site--->All Galleries (Or Just this gallery). Hover over the gallery photos to display a wrench icon in the upper left hand corner. Click the wrench to show all the gallery styles, and the new customization options now available.

*Note - This will not change the gallery style currently applied. You must still change that in the Customize--->Gallery Style or through the Gallery settings

As always, please provide your feedback here in this thread. Thanks, and enjoy!

i-dfTvcdR-X3.png

Comments

• beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2014
    Sweet!
    Initial testing here shows that it's almost perfect.
    Thank you thumb.gif
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2014
    beardedgit wrote: »
    Sweet!
    Initial testing here shows that it's almost perfect.
    Thank you thumb.gif

Good to hear! Keep us posted!
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 6, 2014
    Awesome!

Please pass my thanks on to your entire team.

--- Denise
    edited February 6, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Keep us posted!
    Can you clarify what "Vary Photo Height" is supposed to do in Collage Landscape, please?

I've been switching it between On and Off and I'm damned if I can tell any significant difference headscratch.gif
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2014
    I see no difference between thumbnail and college landscape styles.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 6, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    I haven't tried thumbnail but I definitely see a difference in collage landscape after making the change. I've initially changed to use mediums (default was small), might change to large. I want to check on a tablet first, will need to wait until tonight to check that.

--- Denise
  • martintylermartintyler Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2014
    Finally! Thank you!

Will try it out later
  • Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2014
    Cool beans!
  • Djm3006Djm3006 Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2014
  • ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2014
    Whoa, the most interesting aspect to me, is that it IS possible to allow users to modify the "default SM content" that was heretofore inaccessible to users. What potential SM has unlocked!
    wings.gifthumbwings.gif
  • LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2014
    It's getting there but we still can't make the thumbnails bigger in Smugmug style?
    edited February 6, 2014

Hi Allen,

Can you please let me know what you mean by that? Thumbnails is a set aspect ratio, while collage displays the full photo, no matter the aspect ratio.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hi Allen,

Can you please let me know what you mean by that? Thumbnails is a set aspect ratio, while collage displays the full photo, no matter the aspect ratio.
    What you're referring to as thumbnails are NOT thumbnails but photos that Smug has taken a slice of.
    The only real thumbnails are in a Smugmug style gallery and those are cropped how I want them.

BTW, playing with NewSmug gallery styles on NewSmug completely blows away the legacy gallery
    description by removing its html tags. So my visitors see crap.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited February 7, 2014
    What you're referring to as thumbnails are NOT thumbnails but photos that Smug has taken a slice of.
    The only real thumbnails are in a Smugmug style gallery and those are cropped how I want them.

BTW, playing with NewSmug gallery styles on NewSmug completely blows away the legacy gallery
    description by removing its html tags. So my visitors see crap.

Ok, I still don't understand the original statement of not seeing a difference between the Thumbnail style and the Collage Landscape style..one has all photos displayed in a set aspect ratio, the other displays the photos in their native aspect ratio.
    edited February 7, 2014
    Can you clarify what "Vary Photo Height" is supposed to do in Collage Landscape, please?

I've been switching it between On and Off and I'm damned if I can tell any significant difference headscratch.gif

ne_nau.gif
  • JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2014
    Let me add my thanks too. Before this update, I avoided Collage Landscape. With a choice of one of the larger image sizes and a small CSS patch to display the entire caption (below the picture), Collage Landscape is, all of the sudden, a viable option for me.

Jim Ringland
    jtringl.smugmug.com
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • DanCarl97DanCarl97 Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2014
    Thanks for the new options Smugmug. This is a nice improvement and I think it'll come in useful. It would be quite good if we could make modifications, if only small, to reserved content blocks like the password page, etc..

Hopefully we can have some bug fixes, etc. over new content soon though. :)

It is quite a small change. What it does is each row is a slightly different height, making the gallery seem more... Like a collage! :D
    edited February 8, 2014
    DanCarl97 wrote: »
    It is quite a small change. What it does is each row is a slightly different height, making the gallery seem more... Like a collage! :D
    Cheers for that. I've set the photo size to "Large", spacing to 12px and layout to "Stretchy". On my 1280px-wide monitor that means rows are usually 2 photos wide, with the odd singleton if the photo is a large pano-format and the odd triple if there are a few consecutive portrait-format photos. I guess the "On" option for "Vary Photo Height" just doesn't have much scope for variation when there are so few pics per line. I'll check the effect on my larger monitor when I can find the time.
  • phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2014
    Thanks for this great improvment... but any reason why i can not set pagination options? I want my visitors to click when the end of the current page in my photostream is reached. This works on a multiple photo content block but not on a gallery?

Here is an example:
    My old photostream page using a multiple photo content block with pagination style set to "click"... works perfectly...
    http://phaserbeam.smugmug.com/Photostream-old

My new photostream using a plain collage landscape style gallery... pagination style can not be changed? Am i missin something?
    http://phaserbeam.smugmug.com/Photostream/n-Kb5tq/

In the new gallery settings dialog the pagination style is not available...
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2014
    Well, pardon me for being Miss Negativity, but being able to set the distance between the thumbnails in the SmugMug gallery style is not exactly a great "freedom in design" breakthrough if you ask me. Here is what I would like:
    - the ability to choose the number of rows of thumbnails to display
    - number of thumbnails per row
    - choose where the the thumbnails are displayed (top, bottom, right, left)
    - set thumbnail border size/color

Some of these are achievable though the use of custom CSS but it would be nice to have these choices more readily available.

Cheers,

Sara
  • thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2014
    In the SmugMug gallery style, the number of thumbnails is set dynamically in order to make best use of the available space. The ability to set this to some fixed number is unlikely to be useful because a fixed choice causes a poor browsing experience on different devices (with larger or smaller screens).
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2014
    Hi!

I understand the dynamics of the available space thought - what I actually want are LESS rows of thumbnails so that the space allotted to the photo is proportionally larger than what is now displayed. I.e. I'd like ONE row of thumbnails UNDER the photo so that the photo receives emphasis but the viewer has somewhat of an overview through the thumnail row.

Geez, I've been using galleries like this for years, what's the problem!!! I just don't have much extra time right now and was hoping to not have to try and figure out how to hack the code to get this to work.

BTW Lamah, thanks for generously sharing your customization code - I'm using the "smaller gallery icons" and a couple of other tweaks.

Cheers,

Sara
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2014
    Because I was having other issues, I hesitated to turn this one, but just did, and like it a LOT better with "large". I need to try some other computers and tablets, but my phone was good (one browser set with desktopand one set as mobile device).

Can you please add one more check box to that selection to turn the ALT text on or off? Having BOTH hover and Alt Text on is pointless, and hover I can change to show the image number so hover is much better.

Nice work!
  • guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2014
    Lamah wrote: »
    In the SmugMug gallery style, the number of thumbnails is set dynamically in order to make best use of the available space.

Yeah but the problem is it doesn't do a very good job at it :^(..

On my 19" monitor set to 1600X960 it looks good:

Yocum%201600X960-L.jpg

However on my work pc with a smaller screen set to 1280X960 more thumnails are squashed in and are way to small & the overall look is not good.

Yocum%20Ridge%201280X960-L.jpg

I would be fine letting SM pick the number of rows & columns if we could pick a minimum thumbnail size that it had to work with.