Mini–Challenge #181: People in Nature: Monochrome–RESULTS

1magineer1magineer Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
edited February 12, 2014 in The Dgrin Challenges
First, I apologize for my tardiness in getting the results out. The finish coincided with some unexpected business happenings that I could not put aside, including some demanding travel. Thank you all for putting up with the delay, especially since this is my first "Mini." This was a tough one to judge (yeah, I know they all say that). At first I worried that I made the challenge too tough, but then what happened is exactly what I would have wished for: some beautiful, artistic work was entered to make my job difficult.

First, my favs from each of you:

ChandlerJa:

It was a tough pick for me between the raw beauty of #1, and the emotional appeal of #2, but the composition, combined with the range of tones, and the fact that "Isolation" could stand as a decent landscape even without the sole human inhabitant of the frame... well, the nod goes to #1, Isolation.

Davev:

Only one entry, and among my top picks... sorry to see you withdrew. I LOVED that shot and conversion.

LifeInFocus:

An easy pick for me! The look into the camera in "Redwings and Penguins" grabbed and held me and absolutely MAKES this pic IMHO. So much so, that I was tempted to overlook my requirement of having the background stand on it's own, even though the peeps are removed. Beautiful shot. A decisive moment. ;-)

Kentwaller:

Again, an easy pick. Though all your shots sang in some way, the first is the killer. The range of tones; the mood, the overall low key composition, plus... man, and man's best friend... lovely...

PixelPeeper/Kate:

Lovely conversions from a challenging range of tones! My favorite here is #3, "We Made it!" I love the three separate planes, the fact that you can take the main character out, and still have good composition (with a slight adjustment of focus :-)), and that you seem have a talent for capturing what is authentic in a human being who is in your frame.

GrandmaR:

I would have picked "Showing my Granddaughter Fern Spores," had you made it more monochrome. Yes, I know you tinted it, but had you made it MONOCHROME, I would have picked it as my fav of yours. Seeing the original compared to the one you posted? Yes, you brought the artist (you) to the capture. It is lovely.

That much attested, my next fav is the Geyser shot. It works as is, AND, I see some options there (provided that you shot in RAW format) for additional treatments that would bring out detail in the mountains and snow, and produce another image—different, but still compelling. Nicely done!

PhotoAddict:

Hands down, #2, "After the Big One." Nicely done. The retro treatment fit the mood/statement of the capture (that's all I ask!), and the whole thing works.

Alans Grin:

Though all your conversions are superb, and are seductive to someone like me who can just bask in a great conversion for long minutes... well, it's "Aiguille du midi ridge" the does it for me. The composition, and the timing here, are great... add that to the quality of the conversion, and well, I'd like to see this one 30x40. Enough said. Take the photographer out of “Mountain Photographer,” (no offense meant, if that’s a friend of yours), and I LOVE that composition and conversion. :-)

Billseye:

Eastern Sierra does it for me. That turn of the head is important to the composition, and the landscape stands on it's own even without the hiker. It's inviting, and you can hear the twigs snapping under her steps.

KDOTaylor/Kate:

Picked #3, "Sisters" in a heartbeat... that's because that's were it zinged me. The retro treatment fits, and talk about saying something about the peeps in the pic. Everything works there for me. Nicely done.

Gaby617:

Lovely composition, lovely moment in time, nice conversion and delivers on the emotion. I need to check out more of your work. I am guessing there are more like this one in your portfolio?

ALLWeather:

Lovely conversions. I like “Rowing” the best. It’s easy to put myself in that kayak or canoe, and soak in the natural beauty around me. I think the higher ISO helps give an ILFORD PAN feel to this shot. Seems like you just pulled it out of the fixer.

Shooting Star:

Though I like the subject matter of “the Real Outback, the visual tension of the main character in the shade vs. the brilliant foreground was too much for me. Call me strange, but I loved the angles, and distortions and visual statement of “Off the Beaten Track in Jordan.” Nice conversion, too!

Crevest:

Love your byline… “Inviting others to consider new perspectives” is a part of my personal mission statement for my executive coaching and training practice. Attendees to my workshops often here me say, “Perspective is everything!”

I liked your entry too, I can feel the heat of that day and empathize with those seeking relief in the shadow of the wall. Nicely done.

TonyCooper:

You have a gift for witty captures, don’t you? I enjoyed all three of your shots, and my favorite is #2 with the turtle. Do the shots qualify? Yes. Am I glad you posted them? Yes. One thing though… the peeps dominate in each one. Part of what I was looking for was a background that COULD stand up without peeps in it. The turtle shot comes closest. All that said, again, you have a gift, and I would celebrate it!

Gary752:

Lovely stuff. I like the shot of Grandpa and Grandson, best. I like the rich tones, and the metaphor. Youth, almost lunging forward, with little care, stretching to see and experience; then the mentor, with a gentle steadying hold, while looking ahead too, with a more practiced eye. Nice.

Earache:

Eric, you already know I admire your flexibility and skill. These three shots show your range. I like “I am the Sea” the best as a shot, though “The Tempest” best suits the contest guidelines. Still, "I am the Sea" stays in my minds eye.

RyanWsurf:

Elephant Man is my pick of yours. Great moment catching that pose and that particular alignment of amazing creatures.

sapphire73:

I like “Sunday Afternoon” emotionally, but once I enlarged “Climber” to the point where I could find the person (LOL), that became my fav for the context of this contest, as we can take the person out and still have a decent shot! Would love to see this in 30 x 40. Nice work. :-)

Winners:

Third Place:
kdotaylor
sisters
i-7fMNm9F-L.jpg

This would have scored higher if the nature piece could work more “stand alone.” Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE this shot. Nice work.

Second Place
ChandlerJA
Isolation
R96C3000-HDR2b6-XL.jpg

Hits all the points I wanted to see, and delivers on the vibe of being there. Nicely done.

First Place
kentwaller
monrepos
IMG_9238-L.jpg

Beautiful. Meets all my requirements, and extra credit points for the choice of post–production treatments.

Honorable Mention:

Gaby617
7363406160_885d4b8340_b.jpg

Yeah, the bench and flowers COULD work without the peeps, and so this qualifies for me, but the moment is what makes this sing, and spending time with a loved one in nature can prove out as one of life’s simple and profound pleasures.

Thank you all for taking the time to contribute!
–Mark

"Conventional thinking is the ruin of our souls..." ~Rumi

Comments

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2014
    Congratulations to the winners - all really wonderful photos.

Just a note - my geyser photo

x100_4860.JPG

has no snow in it. (The photo was taken in June and snow would not be impossible, but it wouldn't be lying on the ground next to the hot spot). I think those are all salt deposits or something. You are correct though about the detail but RAW is probably beyond my capabilities right now. Maybe sometime in the future.

100_4860.JPG
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • 1magineer1magineer Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2014
    Grandma R, very cool. I'm glad you posted the original and the explanation. Fun! You have an artists eye, and the rest of the technical stuff will come if you have interest and desire.

~M
    –Mark

1magineer wrote: »
    Gaby617:

Lovely composition, lovely moment in time, nice conversion and delivers on the emotion. I need to check out more of your work. I am guessing there are more like this one in your portfolio?

Honorable Mention:

Yeah, the bench and flowers COULD work without the peeps, and so this qualifies for me, but the moment is what makes this sing, and spending time with a loved one in nature can prove out as one of life’s simple and profound pleasures.

Thank you all for taking the time to contribute!

Thanks! This is the second contest I have entered and have been acknowledged on both... pretty siked. Considering I was 3 month in w/ my first DSLR and the tripod/timer setup made it happen, this is one of my favorite photos. If intertested in more work please feel free to vist the site.
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2014
    Congrats to all. Well done challenge and I am looking forward to next mini.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2014
    Congrats to kentwaller and all the winners - great entries this round and very nice choices Mark.

grandmaR... we'll wear you down, and get you loving B&W in no-time!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2014
    The photographer of the turtle is my daughter, and this is
    the image she was taking:

2009-05-15-2-X2.jpg
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2014
    Wow! Thanks a bunch - there really were some great shots in here! I will come up with the next topic soon!
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited February 8, 2014
    Thank you for your eloquent comments, great picks, and taking the time to give everyone feedback. Much appreciated !
  • 1magineer1magineer Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2014

@Gabby617:
    you are very welcome, and glad that you are meeting with some positive feedback for your early photographic efforts.
    LifeInFocus: Phil, glad you enjoyed it, and I will say again how much I liked "Redwings and Penguins." What a great moment in time... Henri Cartier–Bresson would be proud. ;-) http://mediastore2.magnumphotos.com/CoreXDoc/MAG/Media/TR2/f/0/f/e/PAR46659.jpg
    @Earache: Thank you, having done the last mini yourself, you know how tough it is to judge these. Still loving that surfer shot. Another decisive moment.
    @Tony Cooper: You had to gross us out, huh? Laughing.gif!
    @Kentwaller: Looking forward to it!
    @Sapphire73: Wow, you are very welcome, Gretchen! I checked out your page, and you have many beautiful images to your credit. :-) Still loving "Sunday Afternoon"!
    –Mark

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide everyone with feedback.
    Love those challenges :)

Cedric

Everything is a matter of perspective
    http://www.in-perspectives.com/