Options

3rd-party Canon Camera Repair?

ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
edited February 7, 2014 in Cameras
Hey guys! Long time no see! Good to be back.

Soooo some bad news. I was using my 5DII on a car suction mount from film tools, which I heard is trustworthy... well it fell off. It was mounted to my door while I was driving, so it hit the pavement. It was then run over by a car or two behind me. :cry

When I turn it on now I get Err 20. That means a mechanical problem, and I'm pretty sure it's the mirror assembly.

Looking at ebay, this is a $250 part. I sent the camera to Canon (CPS Gold member) and even with the 20% discount, they quoted $600. :huh They said they needed to put a new back body casing, a new front one, or something like that, plus the assembly, and it all came out to 600. I had them send it back to me since I don't have that money now, and I was really hoping to spend what I had on a lens... That's almost as much as a new used 5DII.

(The camera is dinged up, but I can live with it, I just want it to work!)

So, do you guys know of any camera shop that will repair canons? Apparently Canon doesn't sell parts to repair shops anymore, is that correct?

I'm just trying to pay the least I can to get the camera working. I could buy the part on ebay but me trying to install it would be a very bad idea.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2014
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2014
    Seriously?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2014
    Could suggest a couple of places in the UK (both of which I've used) ... but suspect that's not of much help :)

Re scenario - curious why you didn't use some sort of tether - as a fail safe?

pp
  • Options
    jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2014
    3rd-party Canon Camera Repair?
    http://www.pho-tech.net/ I have used them in the past and can easily recommend them :D
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2014
    Hey guys! Long time no see! Good to be back.

Soooo some bad news. I was using my 5DII on a car suction mount from film tools, which I heard is trustworthy... well it fell off. It was mounted to my door while I was driving, so it hit the pavement. It was then run over by a car or two behind me. :cry

When I turn it on now I get Err 20. That means a mechanical problem, and I'm pretty sure it's the mirror assembly.

Looking at ebay, this is a $250 part. I sent the camera to Canon (CPS Gold member) and even with the 20% discount, they quoted $600. eek7.gif They said they needed to put a new back body casing, a new front one, or something like that, plus the assembly, and it all came out to 600. I had them send it back to me since I don't have that money now, and I was really hoping to spend what I had on a lens... That's almost as much as a new used 5DII.

(The camera is dinged up, but I can live with it, I just want it to work!)

So, do you guys know of any camera shop that will repair canons? Apparently Canon doesn't sell parts to repair shops anymore, is that correct?

I'm just trying to pay the least I can to get the camera working. I could buy the part on ebay but me trying to install it would be a very bad idea.

Any suggestions?

run over by two cars?

good luck - repair costs may exceed used prices
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2014
    Thanks guys, hopefully either keh or pho-tech can do it for lower than $600. I checked out their repair services and they seem pretty good. If anyone has other places they've used let me know :)

As far as the accident goes, it was a bad idea on my part obviously... I didn't have access to or budget for a tether; I could have made a DIY one but I didn't :/. Lesson learned, but now I need a safe way to mount to my car too.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2014
    I didn't have access to or budget for a tether; I could have made a DIY one but I didn't :/. Lesson learned, but now I need a safe way to mount to my car too.

either that or learn how to photoshop those moving car shots