Options

clients having trouble ordering

VanishingAmericaVanishingAmerica Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited February 8, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Am I the only one whose clients always have trouble navigating Smugmug?:confused

Every single client I have has difficulty ordering, tagging, sharing, commenting, browsing, etc. All of them.
They have always had difficulties, even with the old site. It's very disconcerting because I am losing orders, losing client face time on the site, and wasting my own time explaining how to order to every client.

It's a great site, but even I have difficulty navigating it sometimes. And, I have to admit, the ordering process (though very detailed and useful) is not the most user-friendly.
Can you tell me who designed the interface? Was it an IT professional or a designer with experience making websites user-friendly? (Knowing who designed the interface won't fix it, but it will help me understand why it is not as user-friendly as it could be.)

Also, is there any progress on Smugmug creating a video showing customers how to order?
I made one for my clients just before Smugmug changed its interface and haven't had time to update it.
If you guys are too busy, uninterested or unable to make a short instructional video clip, I'll make one and share it with Smugmug... for a price, of course. :wink

Something has to be done.
If I'm the only one with these client issues, then I need help figuring out how to make ordering easier for my clients. If other professionals' clients are comfortable with the site, I need to know what I'm doing wrong.
However... if I'm not the only one, something needs to be done to make the site easier to navigate.

NOTE:
It's not just my money being lost here... Smugmug makes money off of my sales, so every time one of my customers leaves the site because they can't figure out how to do something, Smugmug is losing money, too.
America is changing... fast.
www.VanishingAmerica.net

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2013
    I received your message on the HelpDesk with additional information and will be replying to you there.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2013
    Also, is there any progress on Smugmug creating a video showing customers how to order?
    I made one for my clients just before Smugmug changed its interface and haven't had time to update it.
    If you guys are too busy, uninterested or unable to make a short instructional video clip, I'll make one and share it with Smugmug... for a price, of course. mwink.gif

The premise seems to be that a customer would be willing to sit through watching an instructional video simply in order to learn how to place an order. I would never do such a thing, I would find another place to shop. I can't imagine a person who could be bothered with that.
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    The premise seems to be that a customer would be willing to sit through watching an instructional video simply in order to learn how to place an order. I would never do such a thing, I would find another place to shop. I can't imagine a person who could be bothered with that.

I would have to agree, being presented with a video of 'how to order' would send me to another photographer in a heartbeat.

Do you have a link to your site - the one in your signature is for something else. If your clients find it hard to navigate your site then you may want to think about redesigning it. There will always be computer illiterate clients but generally speaking I think the process is pretty straight forward.
  • Options
    Traces of TexasTraces of Texas Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2013
    I'm kind of in the same boat. People who visit my Traces of Texas galleries email me asking me if they are for sale. I wonder how many simply never get to the point of e-mailing me and just move on?
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2013
    I'm kind of in the same boat. People who visit my Traces of Texas galleries email me asking me if they are for sale. I wonder how many simply never get to the point of e-mailing me and just move on?

Then the onus is on you to make it obvious they are for sale, that is not down to Smugmug - beyond the big green 'Add to Cart' button what do you expect them to do? Does it actually say anywhere on your Homepage or Contact page 'These photographs are for sale?' If it is not obvious within a few seconds of browsing your site then you need to make sure it is.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2014
    The difficulty shouldn't be that my site is improperly set up. The layout and options I'm able to configure don't seem to affect the overall useability of the ordering process. You can see for yourselves here: www.holtwebb.smugmug.com.

The difficulty seems to be with Smugmug's ordering platform. I do have a few customers who have been able to order through the site, but every one of them (every single one of my hundred or so clients) have had to contact me because they got confused with Smugmug's ordering process and navigation. I constantly get questions on how to select favorites, how to crop, how to choose the right size, etc.

Take a look at my site and see if it's something I did or if it seems fine to you. www.holtwebb.smugmug.com

I've been so unhappy with this process that I am currently setting up a site with Zenfolio. And, let me tell you, that's about as easy and flexible as I've seen (without resorting to code). It's incredibly user-friendly both for me to build and for my clients to view and order. It's possible I'll run into some issues down the road, but as of now, it's exactly what I was hoping it would be... and, more importantly, what I was hoping Smugmug could be.

Nobody so far has been able to give me any insight into why my customers have so many problems with ordering. No help has been forthcoming from the "Heroes" and no users have been able to shed any light. All the "Heroes" have told me is that they are sorry I'm having trouble. Nobody from SM has actually addressed my problem. I simply don't understand how this problem isn't more common.

And, by the way, if anyone is considering suggesting that I have stupid clients, rest assured that the majority of them are professionals (doctors, attorneys, architects, real estate agents, etc.) who have ordered from other online sites (including Zenfolio-hosted sites) without issue.
    www.VanishingAmerica.net
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2014
    LPC wrote: »
    Then the onus is on you to make it obvious they are for sale, that is not down to Smugmug - beyond the big green 'Add to Cart' button what do you expect them to do? Does it actually say anywhere on your Homepage or Contact page 'These photographs are for sale?' If it is not obvious within a few seconds of browsing your site then you need to make sure it is.

I'm not talking about making it known that my work is available. All my clients know my work is for sale. That's why they are visiting my site. For the sake of this discussion, I'm skipping over the unsolicited visitor and concentrating on my own clients who have a direct link to their own private galleries.
    www.VanishingAmerica.net
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2014
    www.VanishingAmerica.net[/url]

Likely irrelevant to your main theme but just FYI your signature link appears dead.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2014
    Well, I've been to your site and can see absolutely no reason why even doctors, attorneys, architects, real estate agents, etc. would have any problems and as you say, no one else seems to be having any similar issues but you are moving to Zenfolio now anyway so - problem solved ne_nau.gif