Options

Ford GT 40 Race Cars

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited February 11, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
Talk about a sight that will get your heart pumping. Imagine looking across a lake and seeing 14 ....that's right, 14.....of one of the most successful series of race cars ever built, all there at the same time and same place. To see so many together is a very rare event in itself.

I struggled with a term to apply to such a gathering. To call them a ' covey ' wasn't right. A ' flock ' seemed most inappropriate. I'd about settled on a ' pack ' when it came to me....I was looking at a ' herd ' of Ford GT 40s. A stunning sight, to say the least.

The history of the GT 40 is very well known and documented as it is a true icon in the racing world. In the early 1960's, Henry Ford II tried to buy Ferrari. When old Enzo Ferrari rebuffed him after extended negotiations, Mr. Ford decided to launch his own racing program with the intent of conquering the world championship. Out of that endeavor came the famous GT 40, and the Ford Motor Co. did, in fact, race its way to the top....trouncing Ferrari in the process.

These cars were built and raced from 1964 to 1969. As you look at these examples, you may notice some subtle differences between them; an air scoop here, a wind deflector there, etc., but they all share the same " bones " and heritage. The yellow one ( a 1967 ) with the extended rear body work is probably the most noticeably different in appearance.

Amelia%202013%20319-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20339-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20337-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20358-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20353-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20327-X3.jpg

Amelis%202013%20343-X3.jpg

8. Seeing these four GT 40s done up in the Gulf Oil livery at the same place and time is unheard of.

Amelia%202013%20324-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20331-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20348-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20351-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20372-X3.jpg

13. The following car was one of only 4 GT 40 roadsters ( convertibles ) produced. It was also very successfully raced. This one is very rare. It's the only survivor of the 4 that is intact and original. Of the other 3, one is a parts car, one was converted to a coupe version, and the other one has completely vanished.

Amelia%202013%20371-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2014
    Thanks for history lesson as well as sweet shots! Perhaps not the manliest color choice, but I like the yellow best:D , followed by black ones towards the bottom! They look futuristic even for today!
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2014
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And what a Herd it is, that has to be one of the most rare sites

I've ever seen, that many 40's in one place and the 4 flying Gulf Oil Colors
    is amazing !!!

Once again, you've done it, showing us things that rarely ever occur or most
    have never seen, myself included.

Oh My, You know, that place may not be heaven , but they sure give you a
    lot of glimpses :D:D:D

Well Done Tom !!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 10, 2014
    Man, just looking at those beauties gets your heart pumping. Terrific work as always, Tom. You do an amazing job on your shots given the adverse shooting conditions at a show like this. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks for history lesson as well as sweet shots! Perhaps not the manliest color choice, but I like the yellow best:D , followed by black ones towards the bottom! They look futuristic even for today!

I really appreciate you looking in. I've got to agree with you; that yellow Mark IV is flat gorgeous. Somebody spent a bloody fortune on prep work with that one....not a flaw on it.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2014
    Panther wrote: »
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And what a Herd it is, that has to be one of the most rare sites

I've ever seen, that many 40's in one place and the 4 flying Gulf Oil Colors
    is amazing !!!

Once again, you've done it, showing us things that rarely ever occur or most
    have never seen, myself included.

Oh My, You know, that place may not be heaven , but they sure give you a
    lot of glimpses :D:D:D

Well Done Tom !!!

Thanks for your support, pard. It's much appreciated.

Every year, I wonder how in the world the folks who stage this show ( Bill Warner and a whole host of talented people ) can top last year's efforts. Yet they consistently manage to round up the very best stuff out there....amazing performance on their part.

The best to you and KK,

Tom
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Man, just looking at those beauties gets your heart pumping. Terrific work as always, Tom. You do an amazing job on your shots given the adverse shooting conditions at a show like this. bowdown.gif

Mighty kind words, Joel. Your support means a lot to me.

I tell you, if you don't have a satchel full of patience, you'd best not try and shoot an event like this. I'm like all the rest of y'all....I'd give anything to have access to subjects like these in a more serene and suitable setting. You just have to roll with the punches. Every year, I say "enough is enough ". Yet, every year, I jump back into the fray....hoping I can get something worth sharing with all you guys and gals.

Frankly, though, as I make my way through the premier shows I go to, I find my tolerance for the crowds and other obstacles to be rapidly fading. The last time I went to the big Ferrari gathering
    in the Palm Beach area, I didn't even take my camera. That's pretty sad.

Thanks again, Joel,

Tom
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited February 10, 2014
    Wasn't the yellow once owned by some celeb at one point? I seem to recall something about it and the ungodly (at the time) sum paid to make it "street legal".

I also cannot remember a time I've ever seen more than one or two in the same place-so this was a real treat.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    Wasn't the yellow once owned by some celeb at one point? I seem to recall something about it and the ungodly (at the time) sum paid to make it "street legal".

I also cannot remember a time I've ever seen more than one or two in the same place-so this was a real treat.

Hi Ian,

It's always great to have you visit.

I honestly have no idea who a celeb owner might have been. If forced to guess, I'd say Nick Mason ( the drummer for Pink Floyd ). He has amassed a truly stunning car collection. Better than that, he believes in driving his cars and racing them in vintage car events. But, again, it's purely a guess that he may have owned this car.

This car was running real strong at the 1967 LeMans 24 hour race when its rear body panel went flying off as it stormed down the Mulsanne Straight. A trip to the pits cost it valuable time and it eventually finished fourth in that race....driven by Bruce McLaren and Mark Donohue. A similar Mk IV, driven by Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt, won the race.

I've read where the current owner ( again, I don't know who that is ) has driven the car for 40,000 road miles since 1990. I can't imagine driving this car on the street.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited February 10, 2014

I've read where the current owner ( again, I don't know who that is ) has driven the car for 40,000 road miles since 1990. I can't imagine driving this car on the street.

I'm glad to hear people drive these cars. A guy I worked with owned a Carerra GT which he drove on a regular basis. Having taken a ride in that, I can only imagine it as "refined" when compared to GT 40.

I often wish organizers could allow for a photography hour or two where you'd have the time to make your way through the cars in some decent light and with fewer people.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2014
    Dang! Wish I had known! I would have driven over! Was this at Amelia Island? I keep promising myself a trip over for the Concours, but haven't made it yet.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2014
    Dang! Wish I had known! I would have driven over! Was this at Amelia Island? I keep promising myself a trip over for the Concours, but haven't made it yet.

Hi Perrone,

Yes, these were shot at the Amelia Island Concours. These photos were taken at the 2013 show. The 2014 show is coming up early next month ( March 7, 8, and 9 ). The show itself...not counting prior social events, etc....is limited to Sunday, March 9. I hope you can make it. You will not be disappointed, I promise.

Tom