Options

Well tested CSS-customization changes not working anymore

corinoscorinos Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited February 12, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Hi there,

I just noticed that some custom settings of my website (www.orinosphotography.com), implemented via CSS, do not work anymore. Just to name one, the thumbs/photo exchange tweak (http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations/Gallery/SM-Layout/Swap-Photo-Thumbnails-SM).

Additionally some paddings that I inserted so that the bread-crumb, text description and photos of landscape and portrait collage galleries (http://www.orinosphotography.com/Portfolio/Travel/ & http://www.orinosphotography.com/Portfolio/Portrait/) are alligned, only partly work.

Any ideas?

It is unacceptable that such changes in the layout occur. I cannot afford wasting hours checking my site pages every week and re-tune the CSS code to cater for those changes.

Comments

• Options
    bobbyherobobbyhero Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2014
    You should contact the developer of that custom CSS, to see if they're able to update it. We do not support that customization directly, and cannot promise that as time goes on, things may not change slightly (which will require an update to existing customizations).
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2014
    bobbyhero wrote: »
    You should contact the developer of that custom CSS, to see if they're able to update it. We do not support that customization directly, and cannot promise that as time goes on, things may not change slightly (which will require an update to existing customizations).

But if you had a real, detailed release notes posted, the developers and users of such customizations would stand a better chance.

All you post are marketing-level updates with significant feature changes, and occasionally say "fixed" on a bug, there's never the kind of "what happens to the page" detail that would help those who help you, by providing features people want and need (I am a consume of same, not provider, but feel their pain).
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2014
    I'm also using that tweak for change thumbs/photo on smugmug style galleries... and here it is still working.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited February 9, 2014
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    I'm also using that tweak for change thumbs/photo on smugmug style galleries... and here it is still working.
    I see thumbs on the left and photo on the right on that page, the usual smugmug-style presentation.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2014
    I see thumbs on the left and photo on the right on that page, the usual smugmug-style presentation.

--- Denise

Now thats odd... see screenshot... Maybe there is a rollout still not yet finished any maybe europeans will get that "update" later...
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited February 9, 2014
    Now thats odd... see screenshot... Maybe there is a rollout still not yet finished any maybe europeans will get that "update" later...
    It's a bit disconcerting that different viewers of the same page see different things. I wonder what else is lurking...

--- Denise
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2014
    Maybe this is one of those instances where custom code needs to be tailored for each browser?

I'm on latest Firefox and I see the same as Phaserbeam's screenshot.

Oh, and I'm in Europe too. Or maybe I'm not. Hell, I don't know, I'm in the UK so, depending on who's top of the political pile today, we could be in - out - in - out - shake it all about... (Link for Anna Lisa)
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2014
    beardedgit wrote: »
    Maybe this is one of those instances where custom code needs to be tailored for each browser?

Yep, in Firefox (latest version), Phaserbeam's tweak is working, in Chrome it is not.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2014
    pbandj wrote: »
    Yep, in Firefox (latest version), Phaserbeam's tweak is working, in Chrome it is not.

Now that's funny... the tweak does not use many complicated css hacks... especially none of them is really browser specific...

I would like to help fixing the code but i have no chrome here... and all other (unsupported) browsers i have (opera 12 and konqueror) do show the page "correctly"... (photo left/thumbs right)
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2014
    pbandj wrote: »
    I'd agree with that.
    Now that's funny... the tweak does not use many complicated css hacks... especially none of them is really browser specific...

I would like to help fixing the code but i have no chrome here... and all other (unsupported) browsers i have (opera 12 and konqueror) do show the page "correctly"... (photo left/thumbs right)
    Probably best to contact Aaron about that, so that he can update his code repository and maybe post some sort of warning for those using his customisations.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2014
    I just installed ubuntu with google-chrome on virtualbox and i was able to see the "difference"... :-/
    I'm not sure but could this be a chrome bug? Because i tried to change the float-css-part and i do not see any difference...

P.S. Hopefully this is not a hard coded "update"... while i can "update" the code on firefox the same code does not work on chrome. Maybe also javascript related? In that case we could not "fix" it anymore... and i really prefer to have the thumbs on the right...

When using chrome the float setting for .sm-gallery-image-container does always show the value "none". FF shows float:left.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2014
    In SmugMug's CSS, the div .sm-gallery-images is currently set to "flex-direction: row-reverse" which is swapping the order of those elements back to the standard one. Add this CSS to fix it:
    .sm-user-ui .sm-gallery-smugmug .sm-gallery-images.yui3-g {
        -webkit-flex-direction: row;
        -ms-flex-direction: row;
        flex-direction: row;
    }

• Options
    edited February 12, 2014
    I replaced the code:
    .sm-gallery-smugmug .sm-gallery-image-container {
      float: left !important;
    }

with the above snippet provided by Lamah and my galleries appear correctly (i.e. thumbs on the right) in Chrome. For example: http://www.orinosphotography.com/Photo-Exhibit/Places/Santorini-Spring-2013/i-tMm4Pgd
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2014
    corinos wrote: »
    I replaced the code:
    .sm-gallery-smugmug .sm-gallery-image-container {
      float: left !important;
    }

with the above snippet provided by Lamah and my galleries appear correctly (i.e. thumbs on the right) in Chrome. For example: http://www.orinosphotography.com/Photo-Exhibit/Places/Santorini-Spring-2013/i-tMm4Pgd

FYI, this is what I see (scaled to fit DG's rules).
    The thumbs are below the main image because of the width of my window. I think this is normal behavior. My window feels the "right size" for viewing to me. I had to enlarge the window to about 1080 px wide to bring the thumbs to the left of the image.

FYI, to my unpracticed eye, you have a lot of unused space in the left bar. I highlighted in PINK an area that you might be able to remove. If you narrowed the width of the left bar, the thumbs and image might align better? (Guessing).
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2014
    I checked Lamahs code already on my own site and it seem to work very well... that icons appear below the main photo is pretty normal because of the dynamic design (which i think is a must-have these days with all those various devices and screensizes...).

Thx. to Lamah for the quick update on that.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2014
    Thanks for the comments ChancyRat. Indeed I have a lot of unused space in the left bar. The initial rationale was to have all the icons (linkedin, FB, etc.) in one row. I think I will change them to two rows though and squeeze the left bar.
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    FYI, this is what I see (scaled to fit DG's rules).
    The thumbs are below the main image because of the width of my window. I think this is normal behavior. My window feels the "right size" for viewing to me. I had to enlarge the window to about 1080 px wide to bring the thumbs to the left of the image.

FYI, to my unpracticed eye, you have a lot of unused space in the left bar. I highlighted in PINK an area that you might be able to remove. If you narrowed the width of the left bar, the thumbs and image might align better? (Guessing).
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2014
    corinos wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments ChancyRat. Indeed I have a lot of unused space in the left bar. The initial rationale was to have all the icons (linkedin, FB, etc.) in one row. I think I will change them to two rows though and squeeze the left bar.

Oh goodness, I missed the icons taking up space. Two rows sounds good tool. :)