Photoshop CC

LoganHLoganH Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
edited March 2, 2014 in Digital Darkroom
Hey everyone,

I was wanting some quick input.

I currently run with Photoshop CS6 and LR4. I also run my my website with 4ormat.com
I currently pay $6.99 per month for my website with 4ormat.

Adobe is offering Photoshop CC, LR5, 20GB of online storage, AND a behance pro website for the $9.99 a month. So for $3 more I could have updated PS(not to big of a deal, since everything I use is pretty rad already), LR5, and 20GB of online storage. Thinking I would use this storage solely for my portfolio and keeping that backed up in an extra "safe-house".

Could I get some pros and cons to subscribing with Adobe for this service? :dunno

Thanks in advance! :bow

Comments

• kridpicskridpics Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 15, 2014
    I am in a slightly different situation but with some considerations that are also relevant for your question:

To start with, I have to say, that I really hate the idea of the creative cloud. I want to have PS on my computer, pay for it once and that is it. Especially given the security breaches at Adobe in the past.

However the 9.99$ offer (or for me as a poor German 12.29EUR) seems at least worth considering. I have been using Aperture and Pixelmator in the past but have reached the limits of Pixelmator and really want to get into Photoshop, which I have tested using their 30day trial. Therefore my problem is slightly different than yours but I believe they are connected. I try to decide between the following two alternatives:

Alternative 1: Get PS CS6 and use it as long as possible. (891.79 EUR)
    Alternative 2: Get PS CC (12.29EUR)

(I have a Smugmug Pro account.)

Doing the math and disregarding the value of additional updates that come FOC with PS CC and disregarding possible price increases, that makes 6 years until you paid the same about of money. Obviously, the "no price increases" assumption is not very realistic.

Even though I am really no fan of subscription models, I think the PS CC offer is pretty good. But there is one item that has been holding me back: How can i work with my .psd files once I decide to leave the cloud? How can I still use/edit them? I was so far not really successful to find an answer to this question.

Today, I tend to still go with the subscription as I do not often go back to re-edit a picture, once I have published it, saving the final product in .jpg format. But if you are into editorial work, often going back to past work, or something similar I would keep my hands off. Otherwise you are locked in for life or at least have very high exit costs. I can simply exit once I realise that I start to rely on old work more and more and take another decision to get "locked-in" or move to an alternative losing only the time invested to get familiar with PS.

Hope my considerations help you to form an opinion for your decision.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2014
    There is endless debate on the web already about the pros and cons. My own view is simply that while I hate a subscription model, the current price of $9.99/month is low enough that it is not worth worrying about and being increasingly out of date, so I recently subscribed. I already have a perpetual license for LR 5 and CS 6, so I can always use these to read PSD files if I give up on the cloud. It would be a different matter if I didn't already own CS6. By the way, the wording on the site when I subscribed was that my subscription will be renewed in a year at the then-current price. Adobe can make that whatever they want.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2014
    kridpics wrote: »
    I am in a slightly different situation but with some considerations that are also relevant for your question:

Even though I am really no fan of subscription models, I think the PS CC offer is pretty good. But there is one item that has been holding me back: How can i work with my .psd files once I decide to leave the cloud? How can I still use/edit them? I was so far not really successful to find an answer to this question.[/ENDQUOTE]

Your files, including all edits of those files, will be on your computer. The program itself will be on your computer. Periodically, when you are online, Adobe will determine if you are still paying your monthly subscription price. If not, the program on your computer is disabled.

However, any files you have modified during your active subscription remain on your computer. You can continue to modify them, but not using PS CC. If you have an older version of PS or Elements, you can use that version to modify the files. You just won't have the tools that you have in PS CC.

You will not be working on files "in the cloud" if you subscribe. You can store backups of them
    in the cloud, but the originals will be on your computer just as they would be if you owned the program.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • 1magineer1magineer Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2014
    Personally, I love it...
    Great post by Tony Cooper correcting some misconceptions about CC. Personally, I love it, because I use practically the whole suite for different things that I am involved in, and for the price I pay per month, it is a painless good value. I like that the apps are always up-to-date, and they keep updating the Cloud software itself, so that it is less of a drag on resources.

The other thing I like is that both my machines (one Windows and one OS X) can sync settings on the cloud, and both can run the full suite for the single monthly price. And since I teach at local community colleges about 30 days per year, I get the edu discount, so for $20 bucks a month, it is an absolute no–brainer for me. :ivar:ivar:ivar
    –Mark

"Conventional thinking is the ruin of our souls..." ~Rumi
    ...just did the deed the other day...impressed. I gave up my Netflix-seldom-used DVD so now I'm paying 2 bux more a month...my PS6 was already outdated, just the new camera shake selection in filters is amazing and worth it...now I'm cross platform (been resisting buying another copy of PS to get my PC desktop online) so all my machines are consistent, that's a HUGE boon. I'm sold (at least until they jack the price sky-high, then I may purchase a parrot and an eyepatch...heh)...
    Charlie Groh
    (tin can tied to the bumper)