Options

Just upgraded to 6D - can I use my EF-S lenses?

PixelCharmPixelCharm Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited February 15, 2014 in Cameras
Hey all, I have a Rebel 4ti, and have some nice lenses.... but they are all EF-S lenses.

Someone told me if I put any of those lenses on my new 6D - the lens will break my full frame camera.

But the guy at the photography store told me I can use my EF-s lens on my 6D, just that there will be some vignette or a black box reducing my picture on the 6D because of the lens.

I just don't want to "break" my camera..... does anyone know this?

I was hoping to use my Tokina wide angle until I can afford to replace it or my Sigma 28-250mm

Comments

• Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2014
    PixelCharm wrote: »
    Hey all, I have a Rebel 4ti, and have some nice lenses.... but they are all EF-S lenses.

Someone told me if I put any of those lenses on my new 6D - the lens will break my full frame camera.

But the guy at the photography store told me I can use my EF-s lens on my 6D, just that there will be some vignette or a black box reducing my picture on the 6D because of the lens.

I just don't want to "break" my camera..... does anyone know this?

I was hoping to use my Tokina wide angle until I can afford to replace it or my Sigma 28-250mm

if they are Canon EF-S lens (not third party) then they will not fit on a full frame. Sigma and Tamron crop lens fit on full frame but they have considerable vignetting. There are ways of modifying EF-S lens to fit full frame models but it's probably not worth it
  • Options
    PixelCharmPixelCharm Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2014
    Thanks..... the only two lenses I care about are the Sigma and the Tokina. I cannot afford to replace them right now, but until I do, I'm glad I can still use them. I don't need to modify anything, I can work around it for now.

Thanks for such a quick response
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2014
    Its more than just vignetting: your images will look like they are all shot thru a black tube. (For example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ttstam/2790552836/ )

Also, the EF-S have a stop on the mount that prevents them from being attached to a full frame camera. The primary reason is that the EF-S lens elements extend beyond the mount, and can damage the mirror on a full frame camera.