Options

Heliopan High Transmission Polfilter for Fuji XF 14mm lens?

Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
edited February 15, 2014 in Accessories
Hello,

I want a 58mm Pol for my Fuji XF 14mm f/2.8 lens.

On the DSLR I use a B&W KSM which darkens the viewfinder alot.
So I though why not go with the Heliopan as it only eats half a stop of light.
Does anyone have any experiences with the Heliopan High Transmission Series Filters?
How is the color cast compared to B&W. The price between the two is about the same.

Thanks for your recommendation!
“To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
― Edward Weston

Comments

• Options
    edited February 9, 2014
    Anyone?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,797 moderator
    edited February 10, 2014
    I don't have either of these, so I can't help directly.

I don't see many Internet complaints about the color or image quality, in general, of the Heliopan High Transmission Filters. At their prices you should expect pretty good quality, so I suggest just purchasing from a reputable dealer with ample return privileges, just in case.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2014
    There seems to be a lack of genuine reviews for any filter out there. Real tests and actual results and comparing them to others. Here are a few that I could find:
    http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test.html
    http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article-Polarizing_filters_test.html
    Based on their scoring, Heliopan in general, seem to do poorly to just fair. Brands like Hoya surprised a lot of photographers who said Hoya was bad and Heliopan was the best. Not sure how people come up with their results. I do notice that on a lot of forums, there are so many people who blindly say B+W is the best, with out giving a comparison and real reason why.
    Anyways, if you want a high transmission polarizer, look in to Hoya HD series too.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2014
    Thanks for your replies.

Yes, the problem is that there are no reviews to be found of the High Transmission Polfilters.
    Heliopan uses Shott glass in these which is the same stuff B+W uses for their KSM filters.
    Therefore it is kind of difficult to compare them against their poorly tested UV-Filters.

I will now order both and keep the one which I like best.
    ― Edward Weston