Options

Identical passwords does not grant universal access

ReignReign Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited February 17, 2014 in SmugMug Support
All my "Vo" galleries have the same password, but visitors have to enter the password separately on each visit. What's wrong? I tested it myself and my cookies are on. In the Q&A found here, Smugmug explains that galleries with identical passwords will grant the visitor access to all galleries with the same password.

Q: I want to set one password for a group of galleries.
A: If you set the same password on multiple galleries, anyone who enters it will automatically be granted access to all galleries who share the identical password. Note that they must not DiFFEr In CaSe.
www.nathantpham.com (your comments and suggestions are welcomed)

Comments

• Options
    bobbyherobobbyhero Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2014
    Please contact the Heroes directly so we can look into this:
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2014
    Thanks. E-mail sent.
  • Options
    shandrewshandrew Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 33 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 13, 2014
    This is an error in the help pages which should be fixed shortly.

You can create folder-level passwords now which may do what you are trying to accomplish.
    I work at SmugMug but these opinions are usually my own.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2014
    shandrew wrote: »
    This is an error in the help pages which should be fixed shortly.

You can create folder-level passwords now which may do what you are trying to accomplish.
    What is the error? I've set the same password on many galleries and this sounds like there
    is a problem with this?.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    What is the error? I've set the same password on many galleries and this sounds like there
    is a problem with this?.
    On New SmugMug, if you want the same password for all galleries in a folder, you should only set a password on the folder and not the individual galleries. That's also what the system automatically does when you're migrating from Legacy SmugMug to New SmugMug (unless there's a gallery in the folder with no password or not all galleries use the same password).

If you do password protect individual galleries with a password, regardless of what which password is set, a visitor will have to enter the password for each gallery they're visiting.

It looks like the help page has already been corrected, too.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2014
    On New SmugMug, if you want the same password for all galleries in a folder, you should only set a password on the folder and not the individual galleries. That's also what the system automatically does when you're migrating from Legacy SmugMug to New SmugMug (unless there's a gallery in the folder with no password or not all galleries use the same password).

If you do password protect individual galleries with a password, regardless of what which password is set, a visitor will have to enter the password for each gallery they're visiting.

It looks like the help page has already been corrected, too.
    I have 100's of galleries that have the same PW set on them. When you say "should only set" do you
    mean "have to set"? When adding a new gallery I use a preset that adds the PW and hint. Is this no
    longer supported?

You also mentioned happening when "migrating", does this happen when your site goes into the sandbox?
    Does anything happen when "unveiling"?
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2014
    If you do password protect individual galleries with a password, regardless of what which password is set, a visitor will have to enter the password for each gallery they're visiting. ...
    I removed every password from individual galleries and it does inherit the one
    from the parent. But still have to enter the PW for EVERY gallery trying to
    enter. All PW's in a tree are the same.

I have multiple trees each with a different PW but only entered at the top
    level with all children inheriting.

I just opened another top level folder using a password. Clicking anything, sub-folder or
    gallery I get the enter password page. All set to "inherit" with blank PW. Disaster!!!!

None work.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2014
    Another question
    I have

folder (PW) > folders (inherit) > galleries (inherit)
    folder (PW) > galleries (inherit)

I'm taking it that you set the PW at the highest folder level. Then when first going to anything in tree
    and using PW you shouldn't be asked for the PW when going to another.

My problem is that the PW applies to everything in the tree but have to enter PW for each.

Update: two other people have to enter the password for every link they click to.
    These links all have the same password.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2014
    It looks like the first time entering any place in a tree (under top level folder where PW is set) you have to enter the password.
    Even though the PW is the same, entering any other tree (under different top level folder) you have to enter the password again.
    So each tree has to be "activated" with the PW to browse around to different trees.

I thought I read that Smug now only saves (cookie) the PW for 24hr. I think this is way too short. A lot of
    visitors come back every day or week. And it's a PITA to keep entering PW's.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2014
    Great. I got an email response telling me to click "Remember My Password" for it to work... of course it didn't. Now when I finally go back to this thread, it looks like it was an error on the original page and it was a feature never available to begin with. Yay for Smugmug Support. =/