Options

Status and connection quality

synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
edited February 22, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I'm sure I've seen a screen from SmugMug that showed the current server status. But I couldn't find it yesterday when I got the attached error message. I had just put a text content block and had clicked on it and I think this popped up on the first keystroke in there.

I was having difficulty with other websites also, things like youtube stuttering, which it hasn't done in the past few months. So I suspect internet traffic, probably the Olympics, is the root cause of that error.

But, the end result was that when I clicked done and publish, my changes were not saved. I should have quit after seeing that error instead of closing down and starting up again.

I'd strongly suggest some kind of connection quality monitoring be set up on the server side and when the connection quality falls below some kind of threshold, fire a message to that connection's user and let them know that further editing at this connection quality might result in loss of changes. Something like that.

A menu item between Account Settings and Profile perhaps called System Status, that takes you to the appropriate place.
Brandon Smith
http://redwoodtwig.com
Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.

Comments

• Options
    FlounderFlounder Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2014
    Hey Brandon,

Just so you're aware, this is not a problem with the site that you're viewing, it's usually an issue within your browser. Generally when you refresh the browser, it should load the page without any problems. If it doesn't, I would suggest checking your browser extensions. I would also recommend clearing your browser cache, restart the browser, then have another look. This Google help page explains why you would get that message, and some suggestions for getting rid of it https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95669?hl=en

If you have any questions or problems, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Nick Wilson
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2014
    The status page I was looking for was http://status.smugmug.com/

However, that shows no incidents at all, everything good there.

But I'm still getting those aw snap messages from Chrome. Smugmug in customize site mode is the only place where I get these and I use Chrome a lot on the other sites mentioned as having the problem in the discussions I found at the link Nick provided. Unfortunately it's very intermittant, though it seems to occur while or just after being in edit mode on a text block. I can't make it repeat though. Cleaned out all the smugmug cookies, checked extensions and so forth. Seemed fine, did several customize sessions, saved changes no problems. But then it happened again. Fortunately this time was able to step back had not lost the text I'd entered. Saved and applied. Most likely I won't see it again tonight...

I did bring up the Chrome developer tool and took a look at what's being rendered and did notice a number of "deprecated" comments inserted in the display of CSS code. Leads me to suspect there might be some interaction between the customize sessions and css rendering.
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    DanCarl97DanCarl97 Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2014
    I haven't seen the actual 'Aw Snap' messages but when in the middle of using the customiser, I have had the tab just completely freeze up (which usually causes the 'Aw Snap' screen) just as I'm editing a content block (usually text, HTML or CSS). Similarly, I've only had it using the customiser editing blocks similar to the text block.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2014
    That icon indicates that Chrome has actually crashed, which a website should never be able to cause. It indicates a bug in Chrome itself, one of the extensions you have installed, a corrupted font, or an add-on like Flash. Intermittent Internet connections don't cause this.

To at least remove some of the possibility of corrupted fonts, clear your internet cache: Click the menu button, then Tools -> Clear Browsing Data. Make sure that only "cached images and files" is ticked, change the dropdown to "the beginning of time" and clear.