Options

traveling to a weddinf

luckybryluckybry Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 23, 2014 in Weddings
hi i am going to wedding in Canada in sept am flying from Scotland i have been asked to take photos at wedding what lenses should i take i have a 18-270 amron lens that usiually travels with me what others would you guys recomend
bryan:D

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2014
    Hi Bryan, and welcome to the wedding forum here on DGrin!

Since I don't have much information to go on other than the lens you currently own, all the advice I can give is to read up on traveling professionally with your gear in general. I've personally written a few articles on the subject, as someone who has been traveling for wedding photography work for many years now:

http://www.slrlounge.com/travel-plane-gear
    http://www.slrlounge.com/airline-travel-tips-for-photographers

The main point is that you need to have an incredibly awesome backup system, plan for any contingency, and know what you're getting yourself into. Especially note my opinion on overhead compartments versus under-seat camera bags, that could save your skin in a pinch.

Aside from that, all I can say is weigh and size your bags in advance, split up your gear between bags in case one gets lost or stolen, if you think this is necessary.

I will let others advise on which lenses to bring. if you currently have an 18-270mm lens then I am unfortunately going to have to say that you're in for a world of hurt if you're going to try and use this lens for weddings professionally. For example, I usually travel with 2-3 camera bodies, two of them being full-frame, plus 2-3 pro-grade f/2.8 zooms or f/4 zooms, plus 2-3 f/1.4 or f/1.8 prime lenses. (Since I'm a Nikon shooter, our f/1.4 and f/1.8 stuff is actually really killer since we don't have anything f/1.2...)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum