RESULTS for Mini-Challenge #182: Reflections

kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
edited February 27, 2014 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well, this was really, really tough. So many great works to choose from! After much internal debate and also consultation with my wife, Gretchen, here are a few Honorable Mentions and then pictures of the Top 6 selections. Remember, if #1 cannot assume the next challenge then #2 must step in and so forth.

Honorable Mentions:
puzzledpaul - horses eye
1magineer - November Riverbend
grandmaR - 20yr old selfie
jPope42 - sky boat
marionette - waterlily
Alans Grin - swan reflecting
sapphire73 - Morning Light on the Maroon Bells
chandlerja - eye to eye
billseye - wetter days

Really, depending on the judge and individual preferences, obviously any of these honorable mentions (and a few others to boot) could easily be judged the winners. But I must decide now, so here we go:

5th Runner Up: crevest - reflections. such a unique idea! makes one think. probably should be on the cover of a math book somewhere :)
4.jpg

4th Runner Up: kscooper - sandpipers pre-dawn. kind of hard to tell which birds are flying and which ones are reflections - very cool - great sense of motion.
original.jpg

3rd Runner Up: kdotaylor - beach and rocks. this is just a fantastic shot. beautiful colors and the reflections, although subtle, really make the piece work.
i-ZqbHFs4-L.jpg

2nd Runner Up: Earache - me, myself and I. You know, it took me a few looks to realize what I was actually seeing. I assume this was done with composites - clearly you put forth quite a bit of strategy and effort on this one and the result is terrific! Intriguing and one of the photos I found myself really looking at for a long time. Thought provoking.
i-KDHFrzN-XL.jpg

1st Runner Up: shawnc - Last Rays. I love the fact that such a small puddle makes such a huge impact on the photo. I think there is actually more color in the puddle than there is in the main subject. Very creative use of what was available to you. Well done!
IMG_6816%20copy-L.jpg

WINNER: jwear - a peli can do it. Well, what can I say here but WOW. Super sharp image, perfect reflection of a high speed subject, the wingtip in the water adds great interest. Just a great work of art all around! Now, to reward you for your efforts, you get to host the next round! Good luck!
_JLJ9533-XL.jpg

Comments

• EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2014
    Congrats to all winners and especially Jeff, that is an awesome BIF image!
    As I've mentioned, fantastic images by all, and a great turn-out too!

Kent, no editing other than crop and B&W conversion - the image is a double reflection in two parallel, mirror-windowed, building walls.
    No talent or strategy involved - but thanks for thinking so ;) - just got lucky that they stopped to try and peer into the building.
    Thanks for liking it!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2014
    Congratulations to jwear - pelicans rule. And thanks to Kent for the judging which I would have found difficult

FYI - the selfie was taken 56 years ago - I was the one who was 20.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • 1magineer1magineer Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2014
    Congratulations to jwear, and appreciation for all those who submitted, and for Ken's quick turnaround on the daunting task of judging this one!
    –Mark

"Conventional thinking is the ruin of our souls..." ~Rumi
    Well done jwear, a fantastic shot.

Alan.
  • kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2014
    Earache wrote: »
    Congrats to all winners and especially Jeff, that is an awesome BIF image!
    As I've mentioned, fantastic images by all, and a great turn-out too!

Kent, no editing other than crop and B&W conversion - the image is a double reflection in two parallel, mirror-windowed, building walls.
    No talent or strategy involved - but thanks for thinking so ;) - just got lucky that they stopped to try and peer into the building.
    Thanks for liking it!

No composite? Now I am REALLY impressed!
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2014
    First off, thank you Kent, not just for your very good choice for # 1 rolleyes1.gif However ,really this may have bin in my opinion in the top 10 or even 5 of the minis ! The photos were really up there in not just diversity but in quality. Feed back and many looks. Picking was not easy lots of #1's in this thread . Your top 5 have a lot to be proud of .This was my most proud moment in picks at dgrin. As I scrolled down I did not see my name in the top picks and feeling bad I was and then WOW eek7.gif Thank you
    Eric thank you again Grandma Thank you 1magineer thanks Alan coming from you means a lot and again Kent this was a very good theme and I cannot come close? I have to think, please give me a bit I will try to come up with an idea tonight. However just like you had to work hard to pick the winners, you make it difficult for me to come up with a good idea for a theme that all can play . My love is wildlife but I have done it before . Thank you Dgrin for making me a better shooter but I am still not a better writer . Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • crevestcrevest Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    Thanks Kent for providing us with this great challenge and results so fast :) Congratulations to jwear and Earache for those shots which I love !
    Looking forward for the next challenge :)

Cedric

Everything is a matter of perspective
    http://www.in-perspectives.com/
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited February 25, 2014
    Congratulations jwear on that great shot! Looking forward to the next mini. :)

And thank you again, Kent, for giving us a great mini and for the honorable mention on my shot of the Maroon Bells. I appreciated the "push" to process those....
  • superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    Congrats to everyone and an amazing winning shot.
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • kscooperkscooper Registered Users Posts: 387 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2014
    Yes - what a great challenge. Thanks to Kent for such a great topic, and congrats to all of the entrants. I enjoyed each and every one of the submissions.

Good going especially to Jeff and Eric.

Eric

good gear; not enough time
  • shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 674 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2014
    Jeff, congratulations for an amazing image! Thank you for sharing with us. A well deserved win for a well captured image.

Thank you Kent for the efforts you(and your Wife) put into this challenge.

It was a great topic, one that I think most photographers look to embody in many of our photos when available.

Thank you also for allowing me to share my photo of "Last Rays".
    I hope it conveyed the same emotion in each of you as it did when I captured it.

Looking forward to the next challenge Jeff.