Plate doesn't fit tight in ballhead clamp

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited April 30, 2014 in Accessories
So I bought a new L-Bracket that is Arca-Swiss compatible. I have an Oben BB-OT ballhead that is also Arca-Swiss compatible. The problem is that the L-Bracket doesn't fit tight even with the clamp completely closed. It won't fall out but it slides in the clamp if I nudge it. The bracket seems to be just a hair to narrow... maybe just a mm or two.

Could it be the that the L-bracket is outside of tolerance or is Arca-Swiss not truly a standard?

Any suggestions other than getting a new clamp for the ballhead?

Here is the Ballhead I have:

IMG_230721.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2014
    Yes, I have found the Oben models in particular to be slightly the wrong measurements for complete compatibility with all Arca-Swiss stuff. I have also found that some generic plates are too small. So it could be either problem, unfortunately! I would recommend buying an actual Oben plate or plates, unfortunately.

Either that or you can do what I just did, which was to line the grooves on the plate with gaffers tape. Made an OK shim for the time being...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2014
    You can file the ball head clamp a bit to make it close tighter. I noticed a slight bur that keeps it from closing fully, just take the plate apart a run a file lightly on it, (sorry) or replace the clamp on the ball head with a tighter closing one.

good luck
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2014
    Yes, I have found the Oben models in particular to be slightly the wrong measurements for complete compatibility with all Arca-Swiss stuff. I have also found that some generic plates are too small. So it could be either problem, unfortunately! I would recommend buying an actual Oben plate or plates, unfortunately.

Either that or you can do what I just did, which was to line the grooves on the plate with gaffers tape. Made an OK shim for the time being...

=Matt=

Matt, I actually did the gaffers tape thing. I guess great minds think alike. mwink.gif
    time2smile wrote: »
    You can file the ball head clamp a bit to make it close tighter. I noticed a slight bur that keeps it from closing fully, just take the plate apart a run a file lightly on it, (sorry) or replace the clamp on the ball head with a tighter closing one.

good luck

Yeah... I was considering take the clamp to my grinder to make it a bit tighter. It will only require a couple of millimeter reduction. I was hesitant since it will end up removing the factory finish but at this point, my only other permanent solution is to buy a new clamp so I may just grind the thing down and then primer and paint it just to keep it from oxidizing. thumb.gif
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    Think I'd consider adding a sheet metal shim of the appropriate thickness to the fixed dovetail side ... fixing same with decent double sided tape would keep it in place and wouldn't damage the finish.

pp
  • RKlukasRKlukas Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 26, 2014
    Plates vary in size for Arca-Swiss
    We at Arca-swiss did set a standard for which the patent ran out and therefore is open now for use.. Unfortunately many companies are advertising Arca-Swiss 'Style' quick releases and plates. But many of these offerings vary as much as 2-3mm larger or smaller and don't accept plates out of their spec in many cases. This I guess is to limit whose plates and brackets you can purchase.
    We recommend staying with the same manufacturer or trying a plate and or bracket before buying.
    Hope this helps,
    Rod Klukas
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2014
    It's been a while since I bought plates or clamps, but my recollection is that even with top brands, there are sometimes incompatibilities. What brand of plate did you buy? That could be the problem.Am I right that Oben is a B&H store brand? I know I bought my Oben tripod and monopod there. If so, I would call their customer service and ask about this. In my experience, their customer service is very good.