Options

Finches flying

OsoOso Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
edited February 26, 2014 in Wildlife
Got a finch feeder for Xmas -- and the thing works well. It's amazingly unphotogenic but allows me to practice getting bird-in-flight photos and the finches often launch from a nearby apple tree, which looks a little more natural. A few recent pics, the top one being my favorite. Look Ma, no wings!

FinchesInFlight22Feb2014-1481-Edit-L.jpg

FinchesInFlight22Feb2014-1464-Edit-2-L.jpg

FinchesInFlight22Feb2014-1539-Edit-L.jpg

DSC_0653-L.jpg

DSC_0528-L.jpg

I took all the shots with my Nikon D5100 and the Nikon 70-300mm telephoto, which is 105-450mm on DX cameras. Some handheld, some with monopod. The action shots were shutter speeds of 1000 to 2000 with ISO cranked to 800 to 1000. Finches are tough -- it's hard to guess when they're going to take off and land and they don't hover like hummingbirds. The 5100's burst mode in RAW is pretty good, can usually fire off five shots until buffer fills.

Tx for looking!

Comments

• Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2014
    Well done. 4 is my favorite. (suggest numbering images so people can comment on them.)

My wife has been a bird feeder for years - finches, woodpeckers, eastern bluebird, blue jay and many more. Since we have a cold winter, it has been tough to capture them.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2014
    Love the 4th one myself! So warm, so beautiful!thumb.gif

I like 5th one also! Nice expression!

As for airborne shots, the first one eye catching as it looks like it is not flying and someone just threw it out!

Cheers!
  • Options
    OsoOso Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2014
    Laughing.gif, Stumblebum -- thanks. And you figured it out. Had my girlfriend out of frame tossing finches! :)