Options

which point and shoot for vacations??

ZetZet Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited February 27, 2014 in Cameras
Hello! I own a Nikon D7000 and love it! I took it to Disney two years ago and felt that it was just too heavy to lug around with me. I was a nervous wreck worrying about it getting damaged or stolen! My hubby bought me a Nikon Coolpix L610. I love the size and that is about all I love about it. It is soooooo slow! (I know I'm spoiled with the D7000) It eats batteries up!!! and I don't like having to look at the monitor while taking the picture. I prefer a view finder.

I want something small, faster, that doesn't eat batteries with a view finder. I have three sons and we are very active. I want to be able to carry it on me for times when we are skiing, hanging out on the boat or the beach etc. We are going to Brazil in Aug and I would like to have a new one by then.

Which cameras do you suggest I look into? Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2014
    A friend has just been trying out the Canon SX50 - for an all-in-one with a 50x zoom (!!) at under $400, I have been IMPRESSED with the images she's sharing. Seriously - if I were going away and wanted a lighteweight superzoom, I would totally consider getting one. It's not supersmall, but it's smaller and lighter than a dslr.

For a really small unit, I always recommend the Canon s series - I think it's up to the s110 at this point. I have the s95 and can't say enough good things about it - LOVED it when I took it to France and Scotland. It was super and coped with everything... and is about the size of a cellphone.
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2014
    I have a Canon G12 and love it! There is a newer version now that is supposed to be even better (G15, I think). I like it because it is smaller than a dSLR, yet you can still shoot RAW if you want. Can shoot in 'auto' or several other preset modes, or can go fully manual. You can attach a flash to it or even triggers if you want to shoot with studio lights. It's great on vacation. A 'serious' photog can do all the manual things if desired, but still hand it off to the hubby or the kids and it's simple enough for them. It takes excellent images, too. :)

You can even purchase additional lenses and accessories for it, to include underwater housing if you want that. I think the G15 runs about $350 ish.

Highly recommend.

Sherry
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2014
    IMO there is only one point-n-shoot worth considering if you want something truly pocketable and are picky about image quality, and that is the Sony RX100. No viewfinder, but I think these days that is becoming an unreasonable expectation in point-n-shoots unless you want to go to a Canon G or Fuji X100S.

If you can justify the expense and accept a fixed 35mm (effective) lens, I can recommend the X100S highly.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    MGRPhotoMGRPhoto Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2014
    Nikon J3 would probably be your best bet even though it doesn't have a viewfinder. They are really cheap at places like Best Buy right now.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    jpope42jpope42 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2014
    IPhone. Seriously, my iPhone 5 has a really good camera and you can make phone calls with it! But please don't leave the D7000 behind on your Brazil trip. I've gotten sooooo many great images there.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2014
    for high end..I echo the fuji x100s. battery life is not great though
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2014
    I am a Nikon Shooter of DSLR, but most of the p&s I have been Canon, my favorite is the S100 pocket size and shoots RAW. no view finder and battery life is not what you have in a D7000 but then you have to consider the the battery size that will fit in the smaller cameras and that the LCD is always on when using. Most p&s have a electronic view finder if they have one(like the superzooms) The D7000 has incredible battery life but goes down faster when shooting video or live view.
    If you want to stick with Nikon the new P340
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    NedCan63NedCan63 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 16, 2014
    Water proof, shock proof, sand proof - Olympus TG-2
    I understand your concerns. DSLR really have no place on a beach. I use the Olympus TG-2 and am very satisfied with it. The one drawback is that it does not shoot in RAW but Lightroom does offer some good editing with jpeg so it really is no issue for me. You can see my underwater results, at the following place; http://fotos4eternity.smugmug.com/Marine-Life/

BTW I just switched over to Smuggmug and therefore I am at the infancy stage of moving my photos over but I am impressed with Smuggmug and the tight incorporation with Lightroom.

Good luck with your decision making.

Luc
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2014
    Love, love, love my Sony RX100 II. Intuitive controls, bounce flash, remote control with smartphone. Very small w/ 28 - 100mm zoom. Large sensor, 20 mp.

2nd place: Canon G-series—great cameras.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site