Options

Layers question

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited July 14, 2004 in Finishing School
Being new to Photoshop, I'm trying to get the hang of using layers. I think that I need them to do the following, anyone want to point me in the right direction?

I saw a house on a cliff backlit by a nice sunset, so I took a shot exposed for the dark foreground, then I took one exposed for the bright sky details. How do I combine/overlay the 2 shots to get the proper result?

Comments

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    Try this tutorial on luminous landscape describing blending, that should get you started.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Try this tutorial on luminous landscape describing blending, that should get you started.
    Perfect, thank you Patch.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    Luminous Landscape has one important mistake in its directions. It says to click on Layer/Add Layer Mask/Hide All. That's wrong. It should be Reveal All.

Here's a thread where we discussed it. The thread has pictures of the Photoshop steps, makes it easy to follow.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2004
    Thanks Sid. I checked out that site, there are enough tutorials there to save you guys from a bombardment of stupid newbie PS questions!

If there are other good sites that are similar that you guys like, let me know. I appreciate the help. If I get a chance I'll post some results for you guys to comment on.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    No sweat man, as you can see from the linked thread, I was thoroughly confused meself. Wander through the Photoshop Shenanigans forum and you'll find some excellent tutoirals from Andy, and at the beginning of each Challenge Cletus also gives very good tips and how tos.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2004
    here's a tutorial on layer masks
    give this a once over
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2004
    andy wrote:
    That is the thread that got me to start fooling around with layers in the first place! Very well done Andy, easy to follow.

It's funny, I'm no stranger to complicated software since I do CAD for a living. I'm a self-taught AutoCAD, Intergraph and ProEngineer user, and I have no problem fooling around with the myriad commands and options in those kind of programs. But Photoshop is such a different mindset from what I am comfortable with that it's almost like I'm intimidated or something!

I'll get over it, and I will cruise through the tutorials before I ask more questions. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2004
    Here's my attempt
    The 2 donor images:
    6129635-S.jpg

6129633-S.jpg

and the merged result:

6136495-L.jpg

I get the process now, and it was pretty easy. But I'm not happy with the boundary between the 2 parts, it needs to be crisper. I'm sure there was an option somewhere to not feather edges or something similar, I'll try another one some other time.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    6136495-S.jpg
    But I'm not happy with the boundary between the 2 parts, it needs to be crisper. I'm sure there was an option somewhere to not feather edges or something similar, I'll try another one some other time.
    I think it looks really good thumb.gif

I know what you mean about Photoshop being different from CAD software. I constantly find my self trying Photoshop shortcut keys in CAD programs and vice versa.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2004
    Thanks Cletus! I'm just starting to look at some of your tutorials and assignments too, thanks for taking the time to do that stuff.

Too bad you're in Missouri, we could use a good CAD guy or 2 here in RI. Maybe I could take a few days off once in a while...:D