Options

Smart Galleries as photo locations

SixthSensePhotoSixthSensePhoto Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited February 28, 2014 in SmugMug Feature Requests
I've been running into a few issues that would be resolved by one simple change. I have on upload gallery and use keywords and smart galleries to sort the photos on my site. When I add multiple photos to a page, and select them from a smart gallery, I would like to set the action on click to go to gallery, and have it go to the smart gallery I selected it from, not my upload gallery. The same thing when I view the smart gallery. The caption is there and then says "from 'upload gallery' " instead of the smart gallery I actually chose the photo from.

If you're going to make smart galleries available, know we need them to work LIKE galleries. The virtual versions of the photos should be referenced in the smart gallery. I go back in to change the photos, it remembers I chose the photo in the smart gallery. Why can't the site be smart enough to interpret that as well?

Comments

• Options
    WendeeWendee Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2013
    Thank you, we'll investigate and see what we can do! :)

Smart Galleries and Collected Photos are a great way to display one uploaded image in multiple places, but they are just virtual copies and will reference the original gallery settings and the original location.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Take care,
    Wendee
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2013
    We need a toggle in all gallery settings to select on/off for "originating gallery" for any collected photos.
    Also need it in a smart gallery.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    SixthSensePhotoSixthSensePhoto Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 15, 2013
    Re:Smart Galleries as photo locations
    Wendee wrote: »
    Thank you, we'll investigate and see what we can do! :)

Smart Galleries and Collected Photos are a great way to display one uploaded image in multiple places, but they are just virtual copies and will reference the original gallery settings and the original location.

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Take care,
    Wendee
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com/

Thanks for the response Wendee. I get how the virtual copies work at this point and time. It's just frustrating in that the organize function on the site remembers the locations of the virtual copies in the galleries, but the actual site doesn't. If I organize the photos by smart collections, it's not for me to to know where they all are, it's for the visitors to the site to have things grouped together in a fashion that makes sense. Leaving links back to the original upload gallery just ruins that experience. It's just something I've seen a lot of different posts complaining about. And I agree with Allen, making it a toggle would be a good idea.

Anyways, thanks for listening! You guys have been amazing!
  • Options
    pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2013
    I agree with Allen, making it a toggle would be a good idea.

I would also vote for a toggle because I sometimes want this option on for smart galleries, and sometimes off, depending on how I'm using the smart gallery. Mostly I prefer smart galleries to have the link to the original gallery, which is different from the folks on this thread. So a toggle would meet all of our needs.

I like the option on for keyword galleries, by the way (that's broken now in new smugmug), but also think it should be an option there, since I know other folks would prefer to not show the link to original gallery on keyword pages. Obviously you'd have to apply a single setting to all keyword pages, but it would be nice to be able to turn this on or off.
  • Options
    AperturePlusAperturePlus Registered Users Posts: 374 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    Has this been implemented?