Watermark can now be limited to larger display sizes

mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
edited July 1, 2014 in SmugMug Product News
Hi Dgrinners,

Want to protect your images with a watermark, but don't like how they appear on a multiple photos block on your homepage? Well, we have now added the ability to only have your watermark appear on the display sizes you choose. This option will appear in the watermark edit page.

Two Things To Know:

The Tiny size display copy will no longer be watermarked, even when Thumbnails are set as the Smallest Size. This Ti size is mostly used as thumbnails for SmugMug style galleries, so new uploads won’t appear to have watermarks on their thumbnails in SM styles.

Existing Watermarks: If the Apply to Thumbs option was turned on, the Smallest Watermark Size will default to Thumbnails. If that option was off, the Smallest Watermark Size will default to Small.

Comments

• dwterrydwterry Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    I still see watermarks on the Gallery Thumbnails on my site. Should they be gone? Is it a patience issue? (does it take time for them to go away?)

Where do I find the watermark settings in the new smugmug?
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    dwterry wrote: »
    Where do I find the watermark settings in the new smugmug?
    Account Settings > Business > Watermarks > Manage
    Click edit on watermark to see new settings
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • EltanoEltano Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 28, 2014
    Cant find watermark settings on my new site.
    Hi, I'm new to this site, I want to remove the watermarks on one of my galleries, but there is no where to be found.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

Eltano
    edited February 28, 2014
    Go to the gallery and click Organizer at the top.

On the Organizer click the wrench at the top.
    Select watermarks in the drop.
    At the top click remove and "select all".
    Click Watermark on right end then wait for a time for them all to be done.
  • byoshibyoshi Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    So in the watermark edit page if I select large, it should only show on pictures displayed large or higher correct?

I put it on large but my thumbnails in all my galleries still show watermarks. They still show on the gallery list images as well.
    Landscape and Nature photography
    site - http://www.bay-photography.com/
    blog - http://bayphotos.blogspot.com/
    edited February 28, 2014
    byoshi wrote: »
    So in the watermark edit page if I select large, it should only show on pictures displayed large or higher correct?

I put it on large but my thumbnails in all my galleries still show watermarks. They still show on the gallery list images as well.
    To get any watermark change to take effect the display size photos have to be
    regenerated. Only new uploads will use the new settings. If you "select all" and
    re-add the watermark they should regenerate.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 28, 2014
    byoshi wrote: »

Do you need to regenerate the watermarks in your galleries for the change to show? I could be wrong but I believe the setting on the watermark is only used when a watermark needs to be applied (as opposed to automatically applying to your already-watermarked photos).

--- Denise
    edited February 28, 2014
    dwterry wrote: »
    I still see watermarks on the Gallery Thumbnails on my site. Should they be gone? Is it a patience issue? (does it take time for them to go away?)
    Did you re-watermark your photos? I don't believe it would apply to already-watermarked images.

--- Denise
    edited February 28, 2014
    Caveat, I'm not sure if Smug will now only regenerate the size you select and larger or all of them.

You might have to "remove" from all first then add.
    edited February 28, 2014
    Ah ok. Is there a way to remove the watermark from ALL galleries at once, or does it have to be done gallery to gallery? I don't recall if there was something like this.
    edited February 28, 2014
    In gallery settings the watermark setting only applies to new uploads. To change any watermark
    on existing photos you'll have to do one gallery at a time.
    edited February 28, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Caveat, I'm not sure if Smug will now only regenerate the size you select and larger or all of them.

You might have to "remove" from all first then add.
    I experimented with one gallery and I didn't need to remove the watermarks first. Adding the watermark (again) was good enough.

--- Denise
    edited February 28, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    In gallery settings the watermark setting only applies to new uploads. To change any watermark
    on existing photos you'll have to do one gallery at a time.
    Ah, you're right - I lost my brain for a minute.

--- Denise
    edited February 28, 2014
    Yes, adding a watermark will regenerate the display photos to show the new watermark. It will
    override the existing WM, no need to remove first.

What I'm not sure of is the "new" watermark set to a minimum size, if it is "added"
    to "select all" does it remove the WM on smaller sizes or only change the minimum
    size and larger.
    edited February 28, 2014
    Good to know, thanks for the guidance Allen and Denise.
    edited February 28, 2014
    One thing to keep in mind is in Smugmug style galleries if you re-do your watermarks and you
    have special cropped all your thumbs you will lose that crop.

We complained about this years ago and they did not exclude thumbs from the process.
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    Do you need to regenerate the watermarks in your galleries for the change to show? I could be wrong but I believe the setting on the watermark is only used when a watermark needs to be applied (as opposed to automatically applying to your already-watermarked photos).

--- Denise

Yes, you need to reapply existing watermarks
  • AperturePlusAperturePlus Registered Users Posts: 374 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2014
    Wow - brilliant news SM. Well done and thank you.
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2014
    Wow - brilliant news SM. Well done and thank you.

Thanks Aperture! Let us know how it works! thumb.gif
  • AperturePlusAperturePlus Registered Users Posts: 374 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2014
    It works perfectly Michael. It took me a bit of fiddling to get the size-thing right, but once I did, it was perfect.
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2014
    I believe I have found a bug. When a feature image is used, it retains the watermark on the gallery listing page even if the size is smaller than what has been set for watermarking.

For example, see http://www.dmvpix.com/Sports/Basketball/2013-14

The gallery listing shows some thumbnails with watermarks and others without. The layout is Grid with Medium-sized photos. I have watermark set to Large as the smallest size. Each image that retains the watermark is from a gallery where I selected the Feature Image. The ones without a watermark are the galleries where I did not select a Feature Image.

Each of the galleries utilizes the same settings and the watermarks were rebuilt yesterday at the same time.
    edited March 2, 2014
    Remove the feature photo then re-add it. The featured photo is probably saved, so you have to re-do it.
    edited March 2, 2014
    Already tried that, even selecting a different photo and no change in the result.
  • Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2014
    Thanks. I'll play around with this at some point!
  • ko04ko04 Registered Users Posts: 370 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hi Dgrinners,

Want to protect your images with a watermark, but don't like how they appear on a multiple photos block on your homepage? Well, we have now added the ability to only have your watermark appear on the display sizes you choose. This option will appear in the watermark edit page.

Two Things To Know:

The Tiny size display copy will no longer be watermarked, even when Thumbnails are set as the Smallest Size. This Ti size is mostly used as thumbnails for SmugMug style galleries, so new uploads won’t appear to have watermarks on their thumbnails in SM styles.

Existing Watermarks: If the Apply to Thumbs option was turned on, the Smallest Watermark Size will default to Thumbnails. If that option was off, the Smallest Watermark Size will default to Small.

well that sure does make things a lot easier when designing before you had to have a feature gallery just for un-watermarked images to use them on your site for thumbnails and such. For the sounds of it this takes away that issue.
    edited June 23, 2017
    I'm still getting inconsistent results. Two galleries were uploaded tonight with identical settings and one shows the gallery thumbnail with the watermark and the other doesn't.

http://www.dmvpix.com/Sports/Lacrosse/
  • taylowataylowa Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2014
    Would be very nice, if the thumbnail images no matter what you have it set to (mine is Collage Landscape Medium) would remove the watermark. This way you could make it so you could protect your smallest images individually, but have your gallery page not look like "crap" with watermarks all over the place. This was fixed for the slideshows, so it should be fixed for galleries, folder, pages, etc.
  • bokehlover71bokehlover71 Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2014
    Even though I have chosen minimum X-Large on my watermarks, they appear on thumbnails on my retina display Mac because the retina display uses larger image sizes.

Another problem with retina displays is that they look blurry because they are upscaled. The watermark size is based on low resolution screens. I know I can make a 1600 px transparent watermark with a smaller logo inside to force the watermark to be downscaled, but then I have to make different versions for portrait and landscape pictures, and for different placements. This is unnecessarily cumbersome.
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited April 3, 2014
    While it's good to see SM trying to improve the watermark interface there's still a lot left to be desired. Two of the biggest features are missing: resize and image offset.

I shouldn't have to figure out the size of my watermark before I go to use the watermark. Similar to the opacity (transparency), there should be a slider to reduce the image size. Additionally, if you choose a location of the watermark that's on the edge, there should be a way to offset it by a user customizable # of pixels. For example, if I choose bottom left, I should be able to move it 5 pixels to the right and 5 pixels up so that it has some space inside the image.

Apparently there's no way to do this via CSS because SmugMug actually adds it to the image itself rather than just putting it on top of it in CSS. Only the watermark preview can be altered in CSS.

Guess I'll have to make my watermark image with some extra pixels to the left and below it.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited April 3, 2014
    OK, better, but still not right. Here's what I see, no matter how I resize my browser (Safari):

i-c92R3v7-L.jpg

Most of my custom watermarks aren't even visible in the right side column. All of those that are designed for application to an outside edge of a photo (I have twelve of those) are not showing at all, yet the name of the watermark is there, thankfully. Not very useful to me if I can't see them at the right. The watermark does display in the sample photo on the left when selected. The old watermark interface used to show my watermark images completely. The new one shows approx. 70% of the image.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky