Options

A Wider Point & Shoot

drdoakdrdoak Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited March 2, 2014 in Cameras
At work I'm going to be wandering around and inventorying a bunch of equipment spaces and we're looking to get a camera toward this end. Problem is that I'm pretty sure that to do this well/easily, I need a work camera that's closer to my Sigma 10-20mm lens than to my 24-125mm Canon lens. It would be nice if I can do this with something compact (ie: not a DSLR) and not wildly expensive. We'll keep it around for future use, but during buisness hours we're IT engineers not photogs :D. And they can't have MY camera for this :).

I think price wise, anything with an interchangeable lens will probably be a nonstarter. So: Is there a compact that anyone knows about that goes wider than 24mm?

Thoughts?
...and the river flows through our souls...
www.chrislindbergphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited February 21, 2014
    I'm not aware of any p&s cameras wider than an effective 24mm wide angle.

A number of compact cameras can do in-camera stitched panoramic images, and they even have abilities to assist in keeping the camera level and to assist in lining up the next image for a decent overlap. It is rather important to rotate the camera around the "nodal point" of the lens, but there are simple techniques to do that too. That can get you to some very wide effective angles of view (some Nikon p&s cameras will do 180-360 degrees), but the output images are not usually of high resolution.

Alternately, you can use a number of overlapping images and computer software to produce images of any angle of view and very high resolution.

Does that sound like a solution for your application?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2014
    It's definitely a possible solution, though getting all the many, many cables to line up right may drive me mad. PS has gotten extremely good at that these 3-4 years, so perhaps it's only an issue in my frequently sleep deprived head. On the plus side, this is a good excuse to make them let me run a newer copy of PS. Not sure I'd trust in-camera processing for these, obvious stitching glitches drive me batty.

I've also been offered the use of a 10D, which we could stick a Sigma 10-20 on. I am a little concerned about its performance in low light though. These closets don't tend to be well lit and I generally would need to stop down the lens for depth. The proximity of the subject tends to allow flashes tend to create rather impressive hot spots, even with diffusers (can't back up very far from the subjects). Might still be the best overall bet and I do love that lens. Sadly, they won't let me wander off with the 7D for a month :). I don't suppose you've messed with a 10D much before? You always have the answers :).

I'm sure I'll figure it out, was hoping that perhaps I had missed something on the P&S side of things.
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2014
    drdoak wrote: »
    At work I'm going to be wandering around and inventorying a bunch of equipment spaces and we're looking to get a camera toward this end. Problem is that I'm pretty sure that to do this well/easily, I need a work camera that's closer to my Sigma 10-20mm lens than to my 24-125mm Canon lens. It would be nice if I can do this with something compact (ie: not a DSLR) and not wildly expensive. We'll keep it around for future use, but during buisness hours we're IT engineers not photogs :D. And they can't have MY camera for this :).

I think price wise, anything with an interchangeable lens will probably be a nonstarter. So: Is there a compact that anyone knows about that goes wider than 24mm?

Thoughts?

There is an option size wise but the part in bold is going to be the issue, the m4/3 9-18 is really small.....but 700 dollars.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2014
    There is an option size wise but the part in bold is going to be the issue, the m4/3 9-18 is really small.....but 700 dollars.

That, plus we'd need the body. I do have one at home, but it's iR converted :). Not too much iR in basement closets I've found!

Cost wise, it's gonna be a toss up between an old, old EOS 10D (we own) with a new 10-20mm lens, or a compact camera and a bunch of pano stitching. Hmm... Or I could swipe the 7D while they go look for the 10D mwink.gif.
  • Options
    ABS34ABS34 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2014
    Wider than 24mm
    I have a Panasonic FZ70 which has a 20-1200mm zoom lens on it.......... and ALSO has pano-stitch
    It is presently on Craigslist Lexington, KY if you want a LOOK......

It is also for sale $290
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2014
    or just rent what you need for the project
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2014
    Like Ziggy suggested, but a little simpler; Won't an iPhone work for this inventory purpose?

In camera panning works great on mine. Simple, effective, and you probably have one in your pocket. ne_nau.gif

Just another thought...
    Randy