Options

OOYCZ #3 Final Thread - Tell Me A Story

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited March 3, 2014 in The Dgrin Challenges
These are the final images.

Only those who are entered into this thread are the only ones to give short critiques to all the images except your own. Once you have finished doing so, private message me your top 3 images that you like. Please be sure to list them as First: (number of image), Second: (number of image) and Third: (number of image). Since there are only 3 images, you may place you own image in your favorites. This is only for this challenge only!.

To private message, click on my user name and go to my profile. You will see the private message link there.

I will post the results in by the 28th or sooner if everyone participating gets their choices in.

After I post results, all others who wish to critique may do so on this thread!

IMG_2582b.JPG

20140213_739_001-XL.jpg

AN7O2929C4-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    #2 - I can make up any number of stories about this image - the tiredness I feel in the woman and all the tasks in front of her - the dishes, the paperwork on the desk, the keys on the table and the cup on the counter. From a practical point of view, I think the refrigerator is too close to the stove, but that's not what the challenge is about. The only criticism I have is that I wish it was a little easier to see the details.

#3 - This doesn't meet the criteria of the challenge as it was to specifically be about people. The photo is a nice one though. Are the turtles are looking alert for danger - is the alligator hungry? The alligator looks smug (I think that it a natural expression of an alligator). I do wonder about the stick on the alligator's back and I wonder if he got up on the log first, or if the turtles were there first on their bit of flotsom and when he hauled out of the water that caused them to look around anxiously.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    I am interested in what this woman is thinking about, why she is choosing to sit on her suitcase... does it mean that she's weary from travel and all the seats in her area are taken because of delayed flights? I would work on the white balance a tiny bit, and it looks like the lighting situation was probably difficult... low and flat. That does make it ver challenging to create a photograph with clarity and dimension, but I feel this is a good attempt. The composition looks good and I like that she is looking out of the frame to the right.

I do love a good square crop! I might adjust the composition a little bit so that it is not quite so centered... not knowing what is outside of the frame, of course. The curve of the log would allow the eye to travel through the frame a bit more if the composition was angled and/or shifted just a tiny bit. I like the focus on the turtles, who totally don't care that the alligator is there - as if they weren't aware that they were sitting appetizers at the bottom of the food chain right next to an apex predator - and I think you've captured the laziness of the alligator very well. They are excellent at laying around. :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 27, 2014
    Ok, I have been traveling for the past 2 weeks and it seems that I have made an error in entering number 3 in the finals. Apparently I had mentioned in the instructions that the images had to have people in them. My mistake. I have not seen a response to a PM sent asking for critiquing and voting to be done, so I will close this challenge now by posting the obvious results.

I am nulling out #3 completely and we will call this round a tie in points between 1 and 2. I am sorry we didn't have more participants and I am sorry for my mistake. I will think about whether these challenges will continue after I return home.
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2014
    I would be really sorry if the challenges did not continue. I really think #2 should have won. It was a much better picture for the challenge.

As to the story behind mine - we were, obviously, in the airport waiting for a connecting flight. I noticed two flight attendants each on a cell phone at the edge of the waiting area. The current plane there was going someplace in South America and we were going to BWI. Eventually one flight attendant left, and the remaining one sat on her bag as you see her. Then she left. We found out why a little later - they changed the gate of our flight. She was the flight attendant on our flight. Bob said - that's what she gets for getting to work early

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    No worries. :)

It's a lot of work to run these challenges, and the energy seems to have declined over time. I wonder if there is a way to reach out to the community to get more folks involved and kind of revamp the whole thing...?
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited February 28, 2014
    I have commented on the first two entries in the preliminary threads, but just want to thank you both for entering and following through on the critiquing and all. I wasn't able to enter this time, but did participate in the first two OOYCZ challenges. Felt a little bit like being in a fishbowl to have no one but the participants commenting - though I understand the reason for it - so I am glad there is an opportunity for others to comment at this point.

Grandma, I think you made a good choice in entering this photo. The composition is effective. It looks a little crooked to me but that's a small thing. And as one who hesitates to take photos of people in public, my hat is off to you for capturing this!

Kinkajou, I think you did a great job of setting the stage for this photo and executing it. Looks like you brought out a few more details from the shadows, and I like that.

Chandlerja, I had to laugh when I saw your take on the challenge. Not sure whether the turtles are in any danger or not, but definitely tells a story!
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2014
    Joyce,

I apologize for not responding to your PM. I had a crazy week at work and ended the week extremely sick. Spent this weekend mostly in bed :(

I did not notice the people requirement but understand why my picture was disqualified. Thanks to those who commented on it :)

Both Grandma and Kinkajou entered wonderful images that really make you wonder what story laid behind each. I don't really have any criticism as both images are well shot and spot on for this challenge. Great job guys!! clap.gif
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.