Options

photographing waterfalls?

ssersser Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited November 9, 2005 in Technique
Just a question that im a little unclear of can anyone tell me how to photograph waterfalls and water that gives that 'flowing' feeling to it ive seen alot of photos now ive never tried it as of yet but looking at the exif with shutter speeds at around 2-5 seconds and iso's at 100-200 now my question is wouldnt that just blow the picture out what i mean is wouldnt a ton of light come into the camera especially is broad daylight?
Can anyone shed some light on this for me or direct me somewhere i can learn about this?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    sser wrote:
    Just a question that im a little unclear of can anyone tell me how to photograph waterfalls and water that gives that 'flowing' feeling to it ive seen alot of photos now ive never tried it as of yet but looking at the exif with shutter speeds at around 2-5 seconds and iso's at 100-200 now my question is wouldnt that just blow the picture out what i mean is wouldnt a ton of light come into the camera especially is broad daylight?
    Can anyone shed some light on this for me or direct me somewhere i can learn about this?

Shed some light? Actually, we need to shed some "darkness" :D

neutral density filters

The trick is to fool mother nature lol3.gif you have to force a longer shutter speed. In bright daylight, I used a 10-stop Neutral Density filter and ISO 100, f/13, and 6seconds to obtain this effect:

42610386-L.jpg

Of course, you'll need to mount on a tripod mwink.gif Oh and one more thing: usually you need to use some negative exposure compensation, as the highlights in the water tend to blow out. Typically I'm -2/3s or -1/3 ec.

Hope this helps,
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2005
    Thanks andy that helps so much ive been wondering about this for some time now, i knew it had something to do with using filters but wasnt sure.. also beautiful picture clap.gif I'm gonna have to post mine as soon as i do it up

andy wrote:
    Shed some light? Actually, we need to shed some "darkness" :D

neutral density filters

The trick is to fool mother nature lol3.gif you have to force a longer shutter speed. In bright daylight, I used a 10-stop Neutral Density filter and ISO 100, f/13, and 6seconds to obtain this effect:

42610386-L.jpg

Of course, you'll need to mount on a tripod mwink.gif Oh and one more thing: usually you need to use some negative exposure compensation, as the highlights in the water tend to blow out. Typically I'm -2/3s or -1/3 ec.

Hope this helps,
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2005
    sser wrote:
    Thanks andy that helps so much ive been wondering about this for some time now, i knew it had something to do with using filters but wasnt sure.. also beautiful picture clap.gif I'm gonna have to post mine as soon as i do it up

You are very welcome.
  • Options
    schmoeschmoe Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    Waterfalls
    As Andy mentioned, using ND filters is one way of doing the flowing waterfall effects. But if you don't own a ND filter you can get the extended exposure without blowing the picture off the end of the histogram.

You set the camera up on a tripod and take several shots at the longest exposure you can muster without blowing it out and then stack them in your photo editing program of choice and then use the "lighten" blend mode on all the leyers. This will bring the brightest pixel in the stack to the surface. Everything around the waterfall is static and the only thing changing will be the flowing water.

An example:
    11592586-M.jpg

I think this was around six exposures stacked. The more unique shots you stack the more pronounced the flowing effect will be.

Joel
    Youth is wasted on the young!
  • Options
    babybluetx23babybluetx23 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2005
    I did a few at the Zoo this week that didnt come out bad AT ALL! I did a long exposure on them....WITHOUT A tripod and came out Shake FREEE!!! hehehehe I had a rock to set the camera on to keep it steady (ok ok so I cheated a LITTLE - But ya gotta use what ya got!) hehehe
    Here ya go!

684eb5c935871962bd98ed287580ea48-.jpg

Camera Model Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL
    Exposure Time1/5s
    F-Stop f20.0
    ISO Speed 100
    Focal Length 34.0mm

7bbe2c7757e08d4b3a087c364fd578c1-.jpg

Exposure Time 1/5s
    F-Stop f36.0
    ISO Speed 100
    Focal Length 54.0mm

f632ea9efbffb294d3609ff2ee7e042b-.jpg

Exposure Time 1/20s
    F-Stop f4.0
    ISO Speed 400
    Focal Length 27.0mm
    Cynthia Cox
    Arlington, Tx
    http://www.innovativeillusionsphoto.com/

OMP member #: 173034

Canon EOS 5D : Bogen 3051 tripod : Bogen Monopod : Bogen 3030 head unit : Canon Speedlight 580EX : Canon EF 28-200 F3.5 : Canon 70-200 f2.8L : Canon 24-70mm F2.8L and other Canon Gear

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 8, 2005
    Great tips from Andy and Joel. Two different approaches with equally awesome results. clap.gif

Coincidently, I did the same thing as Cynthia this weekend at the local park with the kids.

f22, 1/15s, ISO100

park_waterfall.jpg
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    Another useful tip is to shoot on an overcast day or wait for a large cloud. The light is softer that way so there isn't as much contrast. You can control contrast later when you edit. Use this in conjunction with the other tips already mentioned.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2005
    thanks for the suggestions, and really nice photos i ended up getting a ND 8 filter this week so now to fins some waterfalls...hmm