Options

Another crack at a family shoot

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited March 3, 2014 in People
Boy, I find these shoots hard. I'm (slloowwwllly) getting happier with the results, but I never feel entirely like I know what I'm doing with these! This was another case where a friend begged me to do it, despite my initial reluctance. Last family shoot, I had a really difficult toddler and space. This time, the toddler was AWESOME and I had glorious natural light to work with, but the newborn was very fussy. She's having a slow start wtih feeding/tummy, so she's just a bit uncomfortable, but still made it challenging since she never fell into a deep sleep, yet she's VERY strong so when she was awake it was super-hard to keep her from moving around (she can already lift her head at 13 days old!

Also, I swear I'm gonna buy myself an f4 lens to use when I'm shooting multi-subject groups so I HAVE to stop down. I get so focused on getting a good exposure and interaction that I freakin' forget to stop down and wind up with key subjects OOF ~facepalm~ SO annoying!

5dII, a bunch of different lenses, and a speedlight on camera bounced for extra fill when I needed it. GORGEOUS big windows gave me really yummy light to work with.

To say that this 28mo cherub was fun is an understatement. She was so, so good, but is a real little personality - such fun to play with her :lust

i-xmcNX3z-XL.jpg

2. She also wanted to take pictures - she went and got her flashlight and started working on all of us (SO cute!)

i-tPFMhbz-XL.jpg

3. Course, baby sister was involved too ;)

i-XbL5H2T-XL.jpg

i-Qr5J3QH-XL.jpg

5. Mama is one very beautiful lady and oh, that light - can't decide if I like this better in color or B&W

i-X8JWKfH-XL.jpg

6. We never quite got the formal family shot....

i-4mmj9f7-XL.jpg

6. ... but much fun was had trying!!

i-LLCBXzS-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2014
    :Dthumb.gif
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2014
    1, 3, and 5 are my favorites. I especially like #1 and how you arranged the two images. I will have do that more with my grandkids' images.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2014
    My absolute favorite is the top right image in number four. I love this image and would love to see it full sized.

My nit-picks are that a number of the images seem kind of soft and, with the family shots, I sure wish the infant was turned so I could see the face instead of the back of the head.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2014
    Thanks guys.

Bryce, YES!! I wanted to turn her too, but every time we did she would start to fuss, and mom just didn't want to fight it (mom had a c-section, which limited her motion too - I just wanted them both as comfortable as possible.

A couple have shallower dof than might be optimum, but I don't think any of them are actually soft in the originals ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    TG3TG3 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2014
    Hello, I really like the expressions caught in #1, she looks like a lot of fun . I personally like #5 in b&w. Have you tried #7 in b&w?
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2014
    Thanks!

She absolutely LOOOVVVEEES them, I'm happy to say. TG3, yes, the last one was delivered in BW as well; I just shared it in colour here for variety :) Oh, and I also prefer #5 in BW. Much of this shoot really took conversions well; I'm hoping that if she orders an album, she'll let me do one that's 90% BW with just occasional colour pops. It looks great like that, IMO :)