API Method to Get Keyword List?

David PLDavid PL Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
Hello,

This is likely a request for a new API method, but if there is currently an alternative that would also work to get the same result, I would be interested. I would like a method to be able to retrieve a list of keywords for a user. This capability would be very useful for the software application I am currently developing for the following reasons:
  • I am developing a feature that will enable a user to add/change keywords of the photos already on their SmugMug site. Being able to easily obtain the list of all their current keywords would allow for the entry box to be pre-populated with the user's current keywords. This will allow for easier entry of keywords and also allow for more consistent choice of keywords when keywording photos.
  • For the photo browsing/download capabilities I am working on, it would be great to be able to obtain the list of keywords, so that the user could select from the list, and then retrieve the photos matching those keywords. As it is now, SmugMug already has the keyword RSS Feeds that could can be used to query SmugMug for the photos matching a given keyword, so with the capability to first retrieve the list of keywords, you could then use the Feeds to then obtain the photos matching a keyword.
Thanks again for all the help.

Comments

• DMADMA Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 29, 2010
    I am also interested in this functionality. Does anyone know if there is a way of getting the list of keywords (without having to go through all of the galleries and images individually) ?
    David PL wrote: »
    Hello,

This is likely a request for a new API method, but if there is currently an alternative that would also work to get the same result, I would be interested. I would like a method to be able to retrieve a list of keywords for a user. This capability would be very useful for the software application I am currently developing for the following reasons:
    • I am developing a feature that will enable a user to add/change keywords of the photos already on their SmugMug site. Being able to easily obtain the list of all their current keywords would allow for the entry box to be pre-populated with the user's current keywords. This will allow for easier entry of keywords and also allow for more consistent choice of keywords when keywording photos.
    • For the photo browsing/download capabilities I am working on, it would be great to be able to obtain the list of keywords, so that the user could select from the list, and then retrieve the photos matching those keywords. As it is now, SmugMug already has the keyword RSS Feeds that could can be used to query SmugMug for the photos matching a given keyword, so with the capability to first retrieve the list of keywords, you could then use the Feeds to then obtain the photos matching a keyword.
    Thanks again for all the help.
  • MarcusTMarcusT Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    I agree that support for retrieving a master list of keywords for a given user is needed, I'd like to do this for a new site I'm building around my SmugMug galleries...
  • David PLDavid PL Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Hello,

I wanted to see if there is any update on whether this request is under consideration. I still haven't found a solution or workaround to this. One possibility for implementation would be to add a method called "smugmug.users.getImageKeywords" that would simply return a list of all indexed image keywords used for the user's account.

That would provide the functionality I am hoping for.

Thanks for all the work on the API.
  • DsweetDsweet Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    I would also be interested in this. Good idea!
  • MarcusTMarcusT Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2014
    Any update on this, SmugMug devs?