Moab metallic pearl

andiamoandiamo Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited March 9, 2014 in Digital Darkroom
Has anyone tried this paper? I have an Epson 3880 and there is a profile for the paper. Just wondering what opinions there are about it and any other paper recommendations.

Comments

• Bob in GVBob in GV Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2014
    I haven't used Moab, but I've used Red River pearl metallic. My opinion is that it was very reminiscent of Cibachrome. Like Cibachrome, there will be some images that work with it and some that don't.
  • MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2014
    The Red River Pearl and Moab Slickrock are very similar (if not exact) finishes. I believe these are both made by Mitsubishi, and are very similar to all the other ink jet metallic finishes. The weight of the paper is really the main variant between the brands. The red river pearl 60lb feels a little lighter than the Moab, but Red River now makes a heavier weight that I have not used.
    I used the printer profiles interchangeably between the 2 papers. This paper is a good inkjet alternative to the Kodak Metallic, but the Kodak metallic is still a notch above.
    The paper is a little warm, and skin tones can look a little off at times. The Red River profile is a bit better in this area. But I have now profiled my printer myself.
    I like the slickrock for cityscapes and architecture. Black an white looks interesting as well.

As for the opinion of use: it depends on your customer.
    For retail customers, they love it. It is something that you cannot get at the drugstore. I have used this paper for action sports and cityscapes.
    For fine art, it is considered gimmicky, and I use Epson Exhibition Fiber or Moab Entrada for those images.
  • andiamoandiamo Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2014
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    The Red River Pearl and Moab Slickrock are very similar (if not exact) finishes. I believe these are both made by Mitsubishi, and are very similar to all the other ink jet metallic finishes. The weight of the paper is really the main variant between the brands. The red river pearl 60lb feels a little lighter than the Moab, but Red River now makes a heavier weight that I have not used.
    I used the printer profiles interchangeably between the 2 papers. This paper is a good inkjet alternative to the Kodak Metallic, but the Kodak metallic is still a notch above.
    The paper is a little warm, and skin tones can look a little off at times. The Red River profile is a bit better in this area. But I have now profiled my printer myself.
    I like the slickrock for cityscapes and architecture. Black an white looks interesting as well.

As for the opinion of use: it depends on your customer.
    For retail customers, they love it. It is something that you cannot get at the drugstore. I have used this paper for action sports and cityscapes.
    For fine art, it is considered gimmicky, and I use Epson Exhibition Fiber or Moab Entrada for those images.

Thank you for the input.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2014
    Moab sells a sampler pack that includes this paper: http://moabpaper.com/sample-boxes/. A couple of years ago, I bought this and the corresponding sampler from Red River. Well worth it--I tried papers I would not have thought to consider, and I was able to compare the two side by side. In some cases, there are close matches between brands, but in other cases, there isn't/