Options

Looking for a new lens

LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
edited March 11, 2014 in Accessories
I have $500 to spend and want to buy a lens. I have a 24-70 f2.8, an 18-200 and a 70-200 f2.8. I'm looking to try to kill 2 birds with one stone if possible. I want something that will get me some nice wide angles for close up motocross shots as well as something that would be nice for model/portrait stuff. Obviously something with a nice fixed aperture of 2.8 or lower. Could be a prime or zoom. Any brand, what do u think? Oh, if there are 2 different lens that I could get for these purposes for $500 or less that would work too. Using Nikon bodies.
D300s D90
Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com

Comments

• Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2014
    Wide angle motocross and model/portrait are rather different. Seems you could use the 70-200 you have for portraits. I have heard nothing but good things of the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 (that's the next lens on my wishlist) for about $450 (older version), but it's not what you'd call the prototypical portrait lens. Or you could get the Tokina for wide and also get the new 50 f/1.8G, which is a nice portrait length on DX, and around $200. (Or the old f/1.8D for ~$100.) The new 85 f/1.8G is supposed to be a very nice portrait lens, most of the f/1.4 version but much less expensive at $400 right now. But then of course your wide angle zoom + the 85 blows up your $500 budget by a few hundred. Tokina + 50 would be not too far off your target price, though. But again, I'd think you could use your 2.8 zooms you already have for portrait work and just get the wide for motocross. That's my 2 cents, anyway.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2014
    Damn, I need a much higher budget, lol. Too many good things to buy here.
    D300s D90

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2014
    Yeah it sounds like the two lenses you already own should be used for portraiture, and for close-up / wide angle stuff, save up for the Tokina 11-16. It is fantastic. If you're not totally obsessed with ultra-wide or true telephoto however, you could consider the Sigma 18-35 1.8 because it is the only 1.8 zoom ever made as far as I know, and it is perfect for mid-range work. I wouldn't do a close-up headshot on it of course because forehead distortion would get nasty, but that's what a 70-200 is for anyways.

Either way, yeah the best stuff is going to cost you a little more than $500...
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2014
    You've got close portraits covered with the telezoom. For a nice standard/wide angle that's great for wider portraits (full length/lifestyle/environmental), consider the Sigma 35 1.4. WONDERFUL lens, and can be found on sale for about $700 (maybe less if you get lucky with a used copy, or a rebate or special offer). I'm really loving mine :)
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2014
    You are covering 24-200mm with F2.8. Doesn't get much better than that. I love my 85mm 1.4 but that's outside your budget. I shot the 70-200 for a long while for portraits and still do. In terms of wide, you aren't going to get much wider than 24mm at F2.8 or wider for $500. Maybe with a manual prime.
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2014
    In terms of wide, you aren't going to get much wider than 24mm at F2.8 or wider for $500. Maybe with a manual prime.

He's shooting a D90 and D300s, which is why I suggested the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. The older version (which he could use since both his bodies have screw-drive AF) is $449, and the newer one is $509. Everything I've ever heard of that lens indicates it's a great option for ultra-wide on crop bodies.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2014
    Agreed. I had looked at that very same lens some time back (and a friend owned it as well). For some reason I thought that lens was more expensive.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2014
    You are covering 24-200mm with F2.8. Doesn't get much better than that. I love my 85mm 1.4 but that's outside your budget. I shot the 70-200 for a long while for portraits and still do. In terms of wide, you aren't going to get much wider than 24mm at F2.8 or wider for $500. Maybe with a manual prime.

I got my Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 used on Ebay for $450 I believe, actually it was official and refurbished, but sold through Tokina's authorized Ebay store. Anyways I love the lens on crop sensors and I actually use it from time to time on full-frame at 16mm with great results if you're stopping down all the way or if you don't mind having blurry corners. ;-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2014
    Thank u all for the input. I am going to look into a wide angle like most of u are suggesting.
    D300s D90

• Options
    LiveAwakeLiveAwake Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2014
    I'm unable to post a new thread, so commenting here just to see if it works. Sorry for the spam.

Moderators: it seems I can comment on an existing thread, but when I try to post a thread, I get a white blank page with web address: http://www.dgrin.com/newthread.php?do=postthread&f=4

This has been the case since yesterday. Help?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited March 11, 2014
    LiveAwake wrote: »
    I'm unable to post a new thread, so commenting here just to see if it works. Sorry for the spam.

Moderators: it seems I can comment on an existing thread, but when I try to post a thread, I get a white blank page with web address: http://www.dgrin.com/newthread.php?do=postthread&f=4

This has been the case since yesterday. Help?
    You might want to add a comment to this thread in Dgrin Forum Support.

--- Denise