Options

I can't seem to wrap my head around this

kcentrickcentric Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited March 11, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I really need help. After three days I finally managed to get some headway on my header by switching to fixed width and using various positive and negative paddings to position things.

Now I am in the body of the page two issues.

1) I want to have a folder to hold things like logos and not have it display. Built one. Set it to private. There is still a link on the homepage to a folder called "temp" under that says private. How do I hide it? How to make it go away? This is driving me nuts.

2) I have a link to four galleries down the left side of the page stacked vertically taking 20% width and a slideshow on the right filling the other 80%. All good. Now I want a space under it and have a new block of content that is full-width of the page. It seems impossible. There is no green block under the existing content. When I try to add more galleries as an alternate route from the organization page they just appear underneath the existing four galleries in my 20% wide left column. I have tried for hours to get content underneath that fills the width of the page.

I really don't have the extra several hundred dollars to get someone else to do the site for me and I'm a fairly handy webmaster outside of Smugmug, but these tools are far-from intuitive. Can anyone help? I need to get my site up ASAP. The mess is here until I get it close enough to transfer my domain if you need a look http://keithedmunds.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2014
    For your 1), your gallery cannot be set to "private" and be usable as a place to store logos, as your viewers can never see an image from a Private gallery (you must be logged on to see them).

Set the gallery to "Unlisted" instead. This will allow you to use the images from the gallery without an issue. It'll still show up on the list of galleries for you when you're logged in, but your visitors won't see that gallery link (the gallery thumbnail disappears when logged out).

For 2), I was able to do this by dragging the final block underneath the left hand column, this caused a drop zone across the entire width of the page to light up for me.
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2014
    On my site that folder is called "My SmugMug Site Files (Do Not Delete)"
    It is found within the "Other" folder
    I believe SmugMug creates that folder on all account holders (certainly was the case in Legacy). As I have unveiled, it now appears in "Other"
    As Lamah has indicated, this "My SmugMug Site Files (Do Not Delete)" folder is an unlisted folder

So you may already have the folder you are looking to create
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2014
    OK thank you for the help.

I deleted the homepage, started fresh, got a few hours to work on it, and it is looking much better (other than needing to get clean copies of my work). Now I want to to avoid the problems I ran into yesterday.

I have four galleries and one folder on the homepage. I only want those five there for now but I want to create many galleries and folders to display on pages besides the homepage.

When I create new ones, how do I prevent them from appearing in the list of galleries on the homepage? Do I need to make them all unlisted if I only want the four galleries to display on the homepage? Also how to do the same for folders and pages as well? As an example I want a portrait page with only portrait galleries listed there. I also want a page with a separate gallery for each town I work in. There are dozens of towns and I don't want those galleries to share equal billing with the main four on my homepage.

I'm afraid I won't be able to and I'll wind up with only four galleries and everything else as a huge tree of just folders within folders. So how to do it, unlisted galleries, folders instead of galleries, or some better solution?
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2014
    The easiest way is to edit the settings of the Gallery blocks on the homepage and set them to show "Galleries I choose" instead of "Current location" or "Top-level galleries". Then you can choose precisely which galleries will appear in them:

8oocp0Th.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2014
    Ah, thank you. I knew there had to be a simpler way and I was just not having luck in searching for it. Much appreciated.