Options

D700 focusing tricks?

FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
edited March 12, 2014 in Cameras
Greetings,

I am experiencing a bit of a problem with one of my bodies.
The issue started out of the blue, and most notable on my 85mm 1.4; When shooting at 1.6/1.8, it seems that the focus shifts a bit; mainly, it seems to be a backfocusing issue.

Are there any ways to reset the focusing calibration?

I did check, and sensor appears to be clean, no fine tune for focus is enabled.
Not sure where to go from here; I'd very much like to not send the camera out given that I cannot easily reproduce this.
thoughts?
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2014
    Is it a G or D type lens? I noticed with a few camera bodies that when I used a lens with the screw type autofocus, they're never 100% accurate or consistent; especially under f/2.8.
    Also, are you using single point, single servo with the center point selected and mount your camera on a tripod and photograph a static object?
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2014
    There's really no way of knowing what your problem is unless you can get that puppy on a tripod with a cable release and do some serious testing. I know it sounds dumb, but focus calibration is the one thing where I don't hesitate to be as nerdy and pixel-peeping as I need to be.

There is a good chance that your camera, or rather the camera and lens combination, have a tiny issue that may need to be resolved with a little bit of tweaking to the D700's AF microadjustment options. HOWEVER, your reference to the apertures of f/1.6 to f/1.8 alone have me puzzled, so I would rather have you test all apertures very thoroughly in order to make sure the issue is consistent...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2014
    there's really no way of knowing what your problem is unless you can get that puppy on a tripod with a cable release and do some serious testing. I know it sounds dumb, but focus calibration is the one thing where i don't hesitate to be as nerdy and pixel-peeping as i need to be.

There is a good chance that your camera, or rather the camera and lens combination, have a tiny issue that may need to be resolved with a little bit of tweaking to the d700's af microadjustment options. However, your reference to the apertures of f/1.6 to f/1.8 alone have me puzzled, so i would rather have you test all apertures very thoroughly in order to make sure the issue is consistent...

=matt=

+1
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2014
    sorry about the delayed reply. an ethug had to show that he was a bigger man.

Matt, you were spot on.
    there were two issues.
    the lens that really showed the signs of poor focus had dirty front element. I cleaned it proper, and it focused mostly ok.

I ended up purchasing the lensalign, and it took care of all the other concerns.

Many thanks to you gents.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    pieropiero Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 12, 2014
    Thanks for sharing. I had the same problem with my D700 / 50mm 1.8 and is fixed now.
    Many thanks
    Piero