Options

First Paid Gig?? (Advice)

LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
edited November 9, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Hey... it's me again :) Hope you're not getting tired of me yet...

Well...

The photo shoot I did for "Raegan" turned out great. She loves them, and so does her Dad (I was scared) lol

Anyway... Her dad owns a custom limo company, where they build and design custom cars. Anyway, he just designed a brand new custom car and he wants a photo shoot done of the car, with his daughter as the model. Well... not sure what to charge and he wants to know my rate.

He will be using the picture to frame and show clients and such. Not published or anything, just showing customers.

HELP!!!

Steven
Wandering Through Life Photography
MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex

Comments

• Options
    PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    Another one!!
    LiquidOps wrote:
    ... First Paid Gig ...... HELP!!! Steven
    Can't offer help, only congratulations for getting the job. Steven I would not be waiting on the off-chance of people reading your post. Why don't you send PMs to a few people who have posted good car shots and might have some good tips about lighting, avoiding reflections in bumpers, stuff like that.
  • Options
    SafariSafari Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    LiquidOps wrote:
    ... not sure what to charge and he wants to know my rate.

He will be using the picture to frame and show clients and such. Not published or anything, just showing customers.
    Steven
    Congratulations!
    My first (only!) 3 paid assignments I figured my time as a "professional" should be worth CAD$100/hr, with a discount for any time that I wasted through incompetence and/or inexperience. CAD$25/hr for travel time, no fractions, no charge for the first 20 minutes each hour. "Administrative" time (waiting for printing, etc.) similar to travel time. Client pays direct costs if more than $10 (printing supplies, etc.) I print my own 5x7 to 8x10 and small quantities of 4x6, others go to local photo printer.
    Be sure to put your name and phone number on the prints, it might lead to more work.
    The pro's get a retainer in advance, 50-100% of the estimated total.

Good idea, getting specific "automobile" tips if you haven't done much of this previously. Also check out some galleries of auto photos for ideas about lighting, angles, background, etc.

Good luck.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    Steven
    I read your post twice, but I could not figure out what are your particular concerns (prolly it's my comprehension, I had way not enough sleep last night).
    What is the problem you need the help on? Pricing? Lighting? Posing?

I mean, come on, fancy cars and pretty young ladies - you pretty much can't go wrong no matter what you do:-)

Other than that - just specify what is that you need help on:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    Safari wrote:
    with a discount for any time that I wasted through incompetence and/or inexperience.

I'd end up owing money...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=19381

Read that and get the book that Shay talks about. I promise you that you won't regret it.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/