Options

do not show map block on info for photos that are not geo coded

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
edited February 22, 2015 in SmugMug Feature Requests
I was a bit shocked to request info on a photo from one of my galleries today to find a large map block with "No Map Data" above the information I had requested.

If there is map data then showing the map data on "info" makes sense.
With no map data the essentially empty block forces the viewer to scroll down to see information that was previously visible without map data. If there is no map data (or if the gallery setting to enable map features is turned off) then the map data block should not be shown.

--- Denise

Comments

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 15, 2014
    I see what you mean. I will pass it on to the team.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2014
    For anyone who wants to remove this silly empty box themselves, see this post for CSS.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2014
    I see a problem when there is only a few GEO tagged photos in a gallery. The ONLY indication
    now is clicking any photo and looking for the double arrow in the upper right corner. Even with
    this "NO MAP DATA" the arrows are there if at least one mapped photo is in the gallery you
    can expand the map to see other photos. Removing the map from photos with no map data
    and you are back to clicking every photo in a gallery looking for the map.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited March 19, 2014
    +1 on this and I reported it in another thread. I see Lamah, as usual, wasted no time to offer up a fix. While that is great, there's still no need to have the map display when there is no location data. That, and why have anyone scroll down to see more image data past a map that isn't showing anything? And even then, I can't see why everyone wanting to see an EXIF would want to also see a map, which might slow down the display.

If there's no data, should be an easy fix to just not show the map at all. If someone wants to see a location map in an EXIF display, then that can perhaps be clickable text - then open up the display.

As it stands now, the usability of this new change makes almost no sense for the user or account owner.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2014
    Remember, removing the map from photos with no map data and IF there are mapped photos in the gallery
    you are back to clicking every photo in a gallery looking for the map. It's ever worst, you have to have the
    Photo Detail box open because they removed the globe under a mapped photo.

We need one single button per mapped gallery like the legacy "Map This" button. Then the single image button
    only show maps for mapped photos, at least it locates the mapped photo as a green icon, very useful.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2014
    I see that this is still broken. I agree with Denise and David, if a photo is not geotagged, why show the "No map data" image in the info? Further, Mapping the location does not show this info, the "no map data" remains...

Also, I would like to be able to disable this "feature" for certain pics, eg rhino pics - why would I want to give the poacher the gps location of the rhino's last known whereabouts? The rhinos are being decimated at a rapid enough rate.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2014
    Even if the photo does not have map data you can click the "expand" arrows in the upper right corner and see
    other photos that are mapped. This is the only way to find mapped photos in a gallery. Until we get a gallery
    map button like legacy had visitors will never see a map unless by random they happen to click on one photo
    with map data. Even then they would have to click "photo info" with almost zero odds of doing that.
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,829 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2014
    Bump... any chance of getting a gallery-level map button any time soon?

Thanks, Sara
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2015
    There is a solution available for this using CSS here (thanks to thenickdude).

Unfortunately not everyone who wants the empty map info box to be suppressed has managed to find that CSS.

Can the info popup be changed to not show the empty map block when photos are not geocoded? It feels like this shouldn't require the use of CSS.

--- Denise