it's a jeep thing....do you understand?

Comments

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2014
    5 months until Colorado! (If all goes as planned)
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 15, 2014
    Jeffro wrote: »
    5 months until Colorado! (If all goes as planned)

Good times!

I did get some new tires.

tacoma-mtrk-scs-1-X3.jpg
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited March 15, 2014
    And I'm told this might end up in a magazine ad. For the wheels. Maybe.
    edited March 16, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    And I'm told this might end up in a magazine ad. For the wheels. Maybe.

Looks good....good luck with that ad, that'd be cool.
    edited May 13, 2014
    Hit the 40th annual Molina Ghost Run this weekend. Had a great time-didn't drive the truck once lol3.gif

1O1G0096-L.jpg

1O1G0146-L.jpg

Casey busted the transfer case within 10m of unloading it. Fixed it again and...

1O1G0274-L.jpg

1O1G0280-L.jpg

1O1G0286-L.jpg

This was the last place it ran. Came down on the top of this obstacle and the t-case broke again...Casey hopped out only to have it roll backward and hit the bottom of the obstacle.

1O1G0292-L.jpg

They got it rolled over and towed back to camp.

1O1G0325-L.jpg

Had a few Yotas. Including Troy from Superior 4WD.

1O1G0206-L.jpg

Great weekend wheeling.

Oh, also learned that the Northern California Backroads book is being re-printed. It'll have a better binding and will include both Northern and Southern California.
    edited May 21, 2014
    Great weekend wheeling.

Nice. I haven't been out in "forever". I have plans to be in Ouray Colorado from August 10-16th, until then I'll just be mall crawling. mwink.gif
    edited June 1, 2014
    i-7JJvHcT-X2.jpg
    Went out for an evening ride, posed along the way.
  • FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2014
    I know its not wheeling photos, but we did have a big meet up recently

TWHooterMeet-2-X3.jpg

TWHooterMeet-1-X3.jpg

TWHooterMeet-3-X3.jpg

TWHooterMeet-4-X3.jpg

TWHooterMeet-5-X3.jpg

TWHooterMeet-7-X3.jpg

TWHooterMeet-6-X3.jpg

TWHooterMeet-9-X3.jpg

TWHooterMeet-8-X3.jpg

TWHooterMeet-10-X3.jpg

TWHooterMeet-11-X3.jpg

TWHooterMeet-12-X3.jpg

TWHooterMeet-13-X3.jpg

TWHooterMeet-14-X3.jpg

TWHooterMeet-15-X3.jpg

TWHooterMeet-17-X3.jpg

TWHooterMeet-16-X3.jpg

TWHooterMeet-18-X3.jpg
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
    edited July 15, 2014
    Looks like a great gathering!
    edited July 16, 2014
    I know its not wheeling photos, but we did have a big meet up recently.

We all have to mall crawl once in awhile. rolleyes1.gif

Nice shots.

I'm about 3 weeks away from a wheeling trip to Ouray, Colorado....that should provide me with a few photo ops. :D
    edited July 16, 2014
    I should totally have posted earlier! Went on a 4 day dry camping trip.

Our meetup point would be the town of Bridgeport, CA. It's on the other side of hwy 108 for me. I made a pit stop near the top.

This is the Dardanelles:
    CA_06291419480855-L.jpg

My co-pilot for this mission:
    CA_06291419480032-L.jpg

We exchanged pleasantries, introductions and fueled up in Bridgeport. From there, we visited the ghost town of Masonic. I didn't take any pictures at the mine as I'd been before.

These two are from my last trip:
    masonic-weeds-2-M.jpg

CA_05061310440869-XL.jpg

The mine is open and decaying as any abandoned site can and unlike Bodie, you can walk around and touch anything. Bodie is only a half dozen miles down the same road we are on and completely opposite.

Our first camp was near the old townsite:
    masonic-camping-X3.jpg

Tucked into the trees, we enjoy a cool evening with a light breeze (up near the mine where the wind is blowing pretty hard). Horseshoes and another game would occupy a couple of hours prior to dinner.

The following morning, breakfast was served, we packed up and were on our way to Bodie for a tour.

IMG_4294-XL.jpg

IMG_4295-XL.jpg

IMG_4299-XL.jpg

Just above Bodie, we would see this view:
    IMG_4307-XL.jpg

You get a better sense of the size of the old town. Upward of 10,000 people lived here at the height of it's existence.

All too soon, we left the ghost town and headed to the northern end of Mono Lake for a night camping in the sand...initially, I didn't think much of this idea. But I'm glad we did. It was a phenomenal evening.

IMG_4333-XL.jpg

horseshoes-mono-lake-X3.jpg

StartySky-1-X2.jpg

The following day, our route took us down the eastern side of Mono Lake toward a small cabin, Boyer. We stopped for lunch and a bit of exploration.

mono-from-boyer-cabin-X3.jpg

With the cabin in the background, Dani explains one of several riddles we worked on during the trip:
    IMG_4346-XL.jpg

Our crew:
    IMG_4353-XL.jpg

The group listening to Todd talk about Mono Lake.
    IMG_4366-XL.jpg

Our third and final night was spent in the forest off of Hwy 120 (heading toward Benton Hot Springs) and near the southern end of Mono Lake:
    IMG_4395-XL.jpg

The final day was an exploration of Mono Lake's South Tufa area. Here we are heading off to have a look around:
    IMG_4404-XL.jpg

IMG_4405-XL.jpg

Finished with the Tufa, we drove on to an extinct volcano-or is it?
    IMG_4409-XL.jpg

In the center of the picture is the volcano's cone. Pretty sweet and something not too many people drive down the road to see.
    volcano-pano-X3.jpg

We ended our trip at the infamous Whoa Nellie! Deli located at the Mobil station on the corner of hwy 120 and hwy 395. Just like that, three nights and four days of one of the best overlanding trips I've done was over-didn't seem like any time at all.

The trip was organized by Tepui Tents in Santa Cruz and led by Todd Rogers with Dani & Griffin providing excellent meals, entertainment and all around fun.
    edited July 16, 2014
    Looks like a cool trip. Nice pics too.
    edited July 17, 2014
    Jeffro wrote: »
    I'm about 3 weeks away from a wheeling trip to Ouray, Colorado....that should provide me with a few photo ops. :D

If you had been there this weekend, you could have hung with the FJ Summit crowd.
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2014
    IMG_4395-XL.jpg

What are these camping systems called? I'm mulling a project that would put me on the road for maybe 12 months and am just starting to look at what might be workable for my F250 PS 4x4, or pulling a small teardrop style trailer with a 4x4 Tahoe, or purchase of a Jeep and determine a camping solution with that. Any advice, pros/cons or suggestions/pointers would be greatly appreciated. Would most probably be looking at camping in all the National Parks with my camera gear.

edited July 18, 2014
    M38A1 wrote: »
    What are these camping systems called? I'm mulling a project that would put me on the road for maybe 12 months and am just starting to look at what might be workable for my F250 PS 4x4, or pulling a small teardrop style trailer with a 4x4 Tahoe, or purchase of a Jeep and determine a camping solution with that. Any advice, pros/cons or suggestions/pointers would be greatly appreciated. Would most probably be looking at camping in all the National Parks with my camera gear.

This is referred to as a Roof Top Tent, RTT for short. The tent folds up and sits on the truck. Usually on a rack on a camper shell or a bed rack. The tent takes about 15 minutes to deploy and about the same to close up. Tepui Tents is the manufacturer of my tent. There are others.
    My tent is about $1K all in.

if you want to do get into the back country, you'll want a smaller vehicle. A tear drop trailer would be nice but if you're going to be on the road, you'll probably also want to think about space to stand up in.
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2014
    This is referred to as a Roof Top Tent, RTT for short. The tent folds up and sits on the truck. Usually on a rack on a camper shell or a bed rack. The tent takes about 15 minutes to deploy and about the same to close up. Tepui Tents is the manufacturer of my tent. There are others.
    My tent is about $1K all in.

if you want to do get into the back country, you'll want a smaller vehicle. A tear drop trailer would be nice but if you're going to be on the road, you'll probably also want to think about space to stand up in.

Thanks for the input.... I'm just scratching the surface on what I'd like to do. I've camped from Central Tejas to the Arctic Circle North of Fairbanks and back on my motorcycle, so I'm comfortable camping. Just don't have any experience doing this in a truck/SUV.
    edited July 18, 2014
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the input.... I'm just scratching the surface on what I'd like to do. I've camped from Central Tejas to the Arctic Circle North of Fairbanks and back on my motorcycle, so I'm comfortable camping. Just don't have any experience doing this in a truck/SUV.

Camping is definitely comfy. I mention the trailer aspect since you are looking at such a long time out. Planning could keep you away from any real weather.

It's a great idea though.
    edited August 21, 2014
    As soon as I got back from Moab last year I started planning my trip to Ouray Colorado.

In 2012 we took a family vacation to Disneyland and drove through Ouray, and along the way we stopped at the start of Black Bear Pass.

i-Z7BXCCn-X3.jpg
    From that point right there I decided I had to return and do Black Bear.

Three of, myself, Brian (Stock JK Rubicon) and Steve (Modified JK Rubicon), left for Ouray on Saturday August 9th. Brian and Steve towed there Jeeps, buy I drove mine. That probably has something to do with me not having a truck/trailer. Brian lives in the same town as me, but Steve is from Iowa, so we met him at the I-80 truck stop, which is the biggest truck stop in the world!

We drove to Ogallal Nebraska the Saturday, spent the night and headed out towards Ouray Sunday Morning.

i-4SSVPTZ-X2.jpg
    We stopped for the customary welcome to Colorado picture.

i-nBXt5M8-X2.jpg
    Brian and Steve didn't unload their Jeeps for a picture...I don't know why.

i-zPXQ2dc-X2.jpg
    Then we were back on the road, through colorful Colorado.....do you see it?

We were headed towards Denver, but a flashing road sign warned us against going through Denver. We had plans to go south on I-25, but apparently I-25 was closed, in both directions in Denver, Friday through Sunday. We pulled off at the next available road, bought a map at a small gas station and scoped out the county roads. We ended up stopping at a county road that went south, so away we went. We stayed on county roads, which were smooth, traffic free and had speed limits of 55-60 mph. We did the back road thing all the way down to Castle Rock, where we got back on I-25. We probably saved ourselves hours of hassle and grid lock.

We traveled through Colorado Springs then hit 115 to Canon City, where we jumped on Hwy 50 west bound to Montrose, from there it was south on 550 Ouray. We drove about 12 hours in all Sunday, arriving in Ouray at about 6:30 pm.

The drive along 50 and 550 is just beautiful...

i-HFRvxT9-X2.jpg

i-DN9L7X4-X2.jpg

i-R5nh7xx-X2.jpg

i-nmVMLtr-X2.jpg
    The long downhills, after climbing as high as 11,500 feet were interesting. The climbs were slow....like 45 mph slow.

i-Bb9633D-X2.jpg
    Approaching Ouray.

i-MF2MVTR-X2.jpg
    Entering Ouray.

Brian and Steve are staying at the Ouray KOA, I on the other hand am staying in downtown Ouray.

i-jKCMgHB-X2.jpg
    Parked for the night, at the Ouray Chalet.

i-zsj3QLT-X2.jpg
    The Ouray Chalet.

i-9nz3Khq-X2.jpg
    Downtown Ouray.

Once in town I was able to meet up with Kevin (ksilovich), who you may remember was with me in Moab last year, as was Brian.

Kevin left for Ouray on Thursday and met up with a group he had met on a trip to Kentucky. That group is going to hit some other areas in Colorado, and do some harder trails than we plan on doing.

It's currently 7am Monday morning, and in a little over an hour we'll be on our way to the first trail of the trip, and which trail will that be?

Black Bear Pass!

I'll catch you later.
    edited August 21, 2014
    Monday morning started out with Kevin and I having breakfast at the Backstreet Bistro. A bit pricey, but good. From there we fueled up, Kevin washed his Jeep, and we grabbed some supplies from the local grocery store. After that we met up with Brian, Steve and his son Blake, and headed down the road to Black Bear Pass.
    i-FVGw46P-X2.jpg
    All ready for a day on the trails.
    i-ggjWFzN-X2.jpg
    Headed to the trails.
    i-cw2zv9h-X2.jpg
    Finally arrived at Black Bear.
    i-rvZQQ4p-X3.jpg
    Happy happy.
    i-3Q499NZ-X3.jpg
    Kevin must have been happier than me.
    i-FS36bHc-X2.jpg
    All lined up and ready to go.
    i-X4MfDw5-X2.jpg
    i-HfwSGp9-X2.jpg
    i-ckBBJ62-X2.jpg
    Posing at the top.
    i-g4mJD9s-X2.jpg
    i-7VGmCf8-X2.jpg
    i-mzdt4Pp-X2.jpg
    i-9LtcH4L-X2.jpg
    Approaching the steps.
    i-3Cfbb4n-X2.jpg
    Brian and Kevin rounding the steps.
    i-MMXLRhN-X2.jpg
    Kevin at the tightest spot on Black Bear. I believe his Jeep is 83" wide.
    i-dpVtRNV-X3.jpg
    i-zxjtkG9-X2.jpg
    i-sbbLH9p-X2.jpg
    i-fBvrmDw-X2.jpg
    The trail was fun, the scenery was gorgeous. I led the way down. The three point turns on the way down really weren't nearly as frightening as some have made them seem. The trail isn't much of a challenge for a Jeep, it's more of a challenge for the driver, especially if that driver doesn't like heights. This is a must do.....I loved it! I recorded the entire trail on a GoPro, so I can relive it anytime I'd like now.
    We did the trail in 2 hours 25 minutes, and it measured 9.71 miles.
    After Black Bear we went to Imogene, where we were able to look back at Black Bear.
    i-7XTdDKx-X3.jpg
    Looking back at the the Z's.
    edited August 21, 2014
    When you get off Black Bear Pass you roll into the tiny (expensive) town of Telluride. The beginning of Imogene Pass is just a couple of blocks off the main drag, right in a residential area.
    We headed on up, and unlike Black Bear, we passed a lot of traffic, coming from the other direction. At times it was a tight squeeze.

i-WRrpQHn-X3.jpg
    You get a view of Black Bear, as you start up Imogene.

i-Dm7Z3M2-X3.jpg
    There was also a view of my Jeep.

i-6kvx5Pt-X2.jpg
    Looking back at one of my cohorts.

i-gv6bQ6S-X2.jpg
    There are old mine buildings here and there.

i-9ZKtWwR-X2.jpg

i-XRtdrtN-X2.jpg

i-FfZPctX-X2.jpg
    We saw a herd of elk on the Telluride side.

i-k6znQzp-X2.jpg
    You have to wonder what went on back when these building were first built.

i-XBc4F9f-X2.jpg

i-2mFw3Kv-X2.jpg
    Kevin using my Jeep as a parking brake.

i-gFN3gxK-X2.jpg
    These views never grow old.

i-X9PXx75-X2.jpg
    Kevin at the top, 13,114 feet. It was a bit cold.

i-VtjW3RV-X2.jpg

i-F7htZvr-X2.jpg
    Checking the mail.

When I checked the mailbox I found a can of PBR and a can of Bud Light. I don't drink, so I didn't take one. I did however throw a bag of peanut M&M's into the mailbox. When I closed the mailbox it punctured the can of PBR, so Kevin grabbed it and drank it....it was ice cold. He couldn't stand to see it wasted. Kevin even thought it was funny to spray me with the beer....idiot.

i-XT7L8mW-X2.jpg
    Mailing the M&M's.

i-hGh4NXJ-X2.jpg
    The punctured PBR.

i-cx5vFT3-X2.jpg
    Jeep commercial time.

i-Td82QJn-X2.jpg
    Down below the lookout.

i-FbJ644z-X2.jpg
    Kevin's commercial.

i-Nv5v98W-X2.jpg
    This is Steve and his son Blake, where I was for my commercial. Blake drove it out there.

Imogene was a blast. When you finish Imogene you are at the start of Yankee Boy Basin, which takes you to Governor Basin too. Kevin and I opted to both of those trails....as you will soon see.
    edited August 21, 2014
    Kevin and I decided to do Governor Basin after Imogene Pass. The others, Brian, Jan, Steve and Blake, opted to go back to Ouray, to eat dinner. Kevin and I figured dinner could wait.
    i-VxP6X5C-X3.jpg
    No matter the trail. the scenery was always beautiful.
    i-sg9J8sr-X2.jpg
    If the choice is bridge or water crossing, I'll take water crossing.....whenever possible.
    Soon after we started up the trail we ran into a guy on a dozer, and it seemed our journey was over. I went over and talked to him and he said we could go on up, but there were two excavators and a truck up top, working.
    We made our way around the dozer, and up the now rather smooth trail...which was supposed to be difficult.
    It wasn't long and we rounded a corner to find this....
    i-ssPqfHm-X2.jpg
    Again we thought our journey was over. I went over and talked to the operator who said give him 10 minutes and the trail would be passable and he would be out of our way. Turns out I was the first person to Jeep across this section of the trail.
    i-M53rQ4w-X2.jpg
    There were deer just standing around watching the guy build the trail.
    i-Tx37T8W-X2.jpg
    Waiting for the trail to be built.
    i-Jt65SNh-X2.jpg
    Another old mine.
    i-GV8LpCQ-X2.jpg
    i-Nh3mKLt-X3.jpg
    We were down there.
    i-xhr8Tzh-X3.jpg
    i-MbNvj3h-X3.jpg
    i-PbBkgTZ-X3.jpg
    Kevin took the bridge just so he could get his picture taken.
    This trail did not live up to it's difficult rating...moderate at best, but still worth doing.
    We late learned that the trail was being widened and smoothed out, due to a new mining effort. Oh well, can't fault that, after all that's the reason most of these trails (or county roads) are here in the first place.
    Next up is Yankee Boy Basin.
    edited August 21, 2014
    Wednesday we did the Alpine Loop.
    i-Mpbkbhq-X2.jpg
    Let the fun begin.

i-kKTjcz6-X3.jpg
    It seemed as if every time I took a photo of an old building, Kevin jumped right in the pic.

i-XrsnR3D-X2.jpg
    We took Poughkeepsie.

i-NqFJc4v-X3.jpg
    The scenery was great.

i-qxxr2pX-X2.jpg

i-ZGvzpR7-X3.jpg

i-tcz8x3L-X2.jpg
    The boulder on Poughkeepsie, just before the wall.

i-XzK3fLm-X2.jpg
    Up and over.

i-5xCQXHf-X2.jpg
    Al's turn.

i-6RMChCp-X2.jpg
    Like there was even a doubt.

i-2rRjX5f-X2.jpg
    Kevin trying to make it harder than it needed to be.

i-CPBdTg3-X2.jpg
    Time for the wall....me first.

i-Cwc4Gnd-X2.jpg
    I took the far right.

Someone took a video on their phone, I have no idea who he was. I hope he sees this and remembers to send me the video. I put my email and phone number in his phone. I don't have any pictures of me lifting my driver side front tire off the ground....even though I gave my camera to someone (I won't mention any names) to take photos of me. lol.

i-NQJMQsQ-X2.jpg
    It was a little slick, and it took me a couple of tries to find the right line.

i-jKt5dJQ-X2.jpg
    No idea who this was.

i-HLZmKJQ-X2.jpg
    Kevin playing around on the middle line.

i-nhxXrwW-X2.jpg

i-6nTPfDn-X2.jpg
    Lake Como was beautiful.....and cold, or so I was told.

i-m6fSGrv-X2.jpg

i-F886rNg-X2.jpg
    edited August 21, 2014
    ]i-4hD3tt3-X2.jpg
    We saw the sheep, and spotted one of the dogs.

i-rbdm44v-X2.jpg
    This guy had an interesting machine.

He had photos of several different machines like this one...4 axle, all wheel drive, all wheel steer...really neat stuff.

i-F9n6Dqn-X2.jpg
    The old mines really made you wonder what life was like back then.

i-C4CxtbT-X2.jpg
    Kevin giving a little perspective to one of the building at Animas Forks.

i-MtPrFMD-X2.jpg
    My turn.

i-xXRSDQZ-X2.jpg
    Location, location, location.

The rooms in these houses were small. Not much privacy back then, at all.

i-fp57FDc-X2.jpg
    Leaving Animas Forks.

i-G76hRv7-X3.jpg

i-kj7zJ78-X3.jpg

i-KM7HZB2-X2.jpg
    I could so live here.

i-zXJcDkQ-X2.jpg

i-wmFfcsp-X2.jpg
    Kevin, the photo bomber.

i-dCQB5b2-X2.jpg
    Just past Animas Forks we caught up with two more of our group.

i-BqWZVxk-X3.jpg

i-HTtNN8C-X2.jpg
    Thank goodness.

i-M9zCcfd-X2.jpg

i-b5D2dWQ-X2.jpg
    Al heading back to Ouray....in a hurry.

Al had broken an axle shaft on Die Trying, I think it was, a day before arriving in Ouray and had ordered new chromo shafts...overnighted, so he was wanting to get back and start the install.

The two Jeeps we caught up with on the trail stopped on Engineer and camped for the night.....I hope they made it out.

i-6DRFwWC-X2.jpg
    Kevin and I stopped at the top of Engineer.

i-hgLtXLn-X3.jpg
    This was the third bear I saw, on Engineer.

A few mile back I had seen a mother and her cub, near some water falls, about three miles into the trail.

i-bKpkxxj-X2.jpg
    He didn't like Kevin's 4bt.

Right after seeing the bear Steve and his son Blake caught up with us. They had been with Brian, who was in a stock JK Rubicon. Brian opted not to do Engineer and took the road back to Ouray.

I made a left when I should have made a right, on the way down. We ended up doing a couple of loops at Mineral Point, before we found our way back to Mineral Creek. It was all good, because the trails were fun.

As we approached the end of the trail we passed a couple in a Jeep Compass. Here's the kicker, the Compass had a donut spare on the rear driver side....wtf? Apparently they started the trail that way....doh. They declined help from several passerby's. They were gone the next day, so they made it out, somehow.
    This was a long day, I believe we did somewhere between 70 and 90 miles all together
    edited August 21, 2014
    Thursday morning it was raining, pretty hard. But that was ok actually, because Steve had developed an issue with his transfer case coming down Mineral Creek, the night before. I figured he just broke the little plastic bushing in the linkage....and that's what it was.

So Thursday morning I checked for the part he needed in town, since he was up at the KOA, and I was at the Ouray Chalet. I stopped by [URL="[URL]http://coloradowestjeeps.com/"]Colorado[/URL] West Jeep Tours[/URL] to see if they'd have the part....nope. I was however directed to the local service stations, Steve's I believe it was. As luck would have it he had a replacement part. He said it was the fifth one he had sold that week. It was only $4, but I gave him $5.

I went up to the KOA and the rain just got harder. Working on the JK in the mud wasn't something we wanted to do, so Steve and I went into town to see what our options were. Steve's shop was full, so I stopped by Colorado West and asked about renting some shop space, I had seen they had alot of it when I stopped to ask about the part. Unfortunately his insurance didn't cover that. I told him that was fine, didn't hurt to ask, and said we'd do it in my hotel parking lot.

I was almost to my Jeep when he called me back and said if we signed something saying we wouldn't sue him we could use the shop. Done!
    Steve and I went and got his Jeep, returned to [URL="[URL]http://coloradowestjeeps.com/"]Colorado[/URL] West Jeep Tours[/URL] and replaced the part. We had a bit of an issue getting Steve's transfer case skid to line back up, so it stayed off the Jeep.

I highly recommend stopping by Colorado West if you're in Ouray and need a Jeep rental/tour.

Once we were done wrenching the rain had stopped, so we decided to hit Yankee Boy Basin. Steve and Brian hadn't run the trail with Kevin and I on Monday, so I figured why not go again, if they were up to it?

i-gjNMWnf-X3.jpg

i-tzpXnqL-X2.jpg
    Steve's JK and my TJ on top of Yankee Basin.

i-P8dNSNm-X3.jpg
    Me and my Rubi.

The weather changed quite a few times on Yankee, it was raining when we started, then cleared, then clouded up, then cleared....well, you get the point.

i-h9Jp46K-X3.jpg

i-6c2nZ2j-X2.jpg

i-vpcpwTB-X3.jpg
    Steve and Brian, on the way down.

i-LMJwCVJ-X3.jpg

i-8H7BXzt-X2.jpg

i-82pf2XP-X3.jpg

i-DBGBTz7-X2.jpg
    This creek crossing is actually where Imogene meets Yankee/Governor...but we had to cross it.

i-SWqFwSk-X2.jpg
    Steve

i-Fpd3P7h-X2.jpg
    Brian

i-XCHCvSp-X2.jpg
    Me

i-JQL7ZkW-X3.jpg
    I was able to enjoy my other hobby quite a bit, on this trip.

We couldn't do Governor Basin because it was closed. We were told the mining company was doing work on the trail....which means it probably won't be listed as "red" much longer, in fact Yankee was actually harder than Governor.....but neither was a "red" trail in Moab standards
    edited August 21, 2014
    Friday was our last day. I wanted to drive Black Bear again, and Steve wanted to give Blake a chance to drive it as well, so off we went. Brian and Jan decided to drive to Telluride, the boring way, on the road.

i-Ksb5wCq-X2.jpg
    These guys were in front of us as we started the trail.

i-PQkfwcQ-X3.jpg
    The view never gets old.

i-SHVq6CQ-X3.jpg
    I grabbed this shot, as I drove by.

i-d4XLQxQ-X3.jpg
    Blake driving down...remember, he's 14.

i-kFsDB59-X3.jpg

i-KjwHkhj-X2.jpg

i-jDSptNp-X2.jpg

I looked down and saw the Rubi below, and the driver yelled "Hey, aren't you Jeff?" I said yes. He said I'm Redneck Ron from Rubicon Owners Forum. This was the third person to recognize me, the two others were JF members.

i-55hSTd2-X3.jpg
    Redneck Ron, from Rubicon Owners Forum.

i-Wnm8bDH-X3.jpg

i-MbBBbgR-X2.jpg
    Blake did an awesome job.

On the way down we encountered a Pathfinder (I believe it was) parked blocking part of the last switch back before the two way traffic began. It was causing issues. I wasn't happy. I may or may not have wrote "I'm and *******" in the dust on the rear window. What a jerk, there was plenty of room to park, out of the way.
    We never did stop in Telluride. In fact the only thing we bought in Telluride, on Monday, was lemonade from a young girl, who had a stand just as we rolled back into town. She had a pretty good gig going
    edited August 21, 2014
    After Black Bear we decided to take Last Dollar Road back to Ouray. We couldn't find Brian and Jan...their phone was taking messages, probably because they were on a mine tour.

Last Dollar is a 21 mile road, about half gravel and half clay. It was wet in a few spots, but travel was actually pretty easy. It is a "green" trail after all. The views along the way were awesome.

i-ms5nHBs-X3.jpg

i-gLwdQgx-X3.jpg

i-tM5PHZn-X3.jpg

i-mg7Tr2P-X3.jpg

i-FVf2VJP-X2.jpg

i-Qh82h5g-X3.jpg

I'll have some video of this trail/road as well.
    edited August 21, 2014
    After the rain stopped on Thursday, and before we hit Yankee Boy, I went for a little drive and took a few scenic shots.

i-dCL9s4g-X3.jpg
    Looking down on Ouray.

i-LkC6kN5-X3.jpg

i-mkvxwTw-X3.jpg

i-qjhK4Nr-X3.jpg

i-TsqrFWG-X3.jpg

i-zqNrR4L-X3.jpg

i-Qs35JPM-X3.jpg

I still have some photos to get off my laptop, and I have a bunch of GoPro video to process.
    You can see more photos from the trip [URL="[URL]http://www.leiningerphotos.com/Only-In-A-Jeep/Ouray/Ouray-2014"]here.[/URL[/URL]]
    edited August 21, 2014
    What a great trip! I love me some CO.
    edited August 21, 2014
    What a great trip! I love me some CO.

It sure was. I love that part of Colorado, I'd move in a heart beat....if I could.
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2014
    Have you been there in the winter? I wonder if that would make a difference in your desire to move there.