Inline Editing, and lightbox / map / info changes + improvements

moirainemoiraine Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
edited July 12, 2014 in SmugMug Product News
INLINE EDITING

In Journal Style, SmugMug Style, and lightbox (all styles), we now support inline editing for title, caption, and keywords.

- hovering over a title/caption/keyword should show a pencil icon
- clicking on a field anywhere as long as the pencil icon is showing will open inline editing
- links will still act as links, so keywords, for example, will need to be clicked slightly to the left (where the tag icon is) or right (the pencil)
- hitting "enter" will act as clicking the save button for titles and keywords
- inline editing is also functional on mobile platforms, but lacking the pencil icon indicator

LIGHTBOX CHANGES

- Added Keywords to lightbox

- Hover (rollover) interaction has changed
-- we now show more of the info by default (instead of just the title)
-- hovering will expand to show more if there is more, but still capped at a reasonable height

- Mobile interaction changes
-- you no longer have to fight with the screen to keep the info open to read
-- after the initial page load, the info will still autohide after a set time
-- however, you can now click the image to show/hide the info
-- after manually tapping the image to show/hide the info will no longer auto-hide

MAP & EXIF DATA CHANGES
- map and exif data have been re-combined into one panel, similar to legacy behavior
- the globe icon is now gone, map data is rolled up into the info panel
- you no longer have to search for a photo with the globe icon in your galleries (still only applicable to the galleries that supported bulk markers [normal galleries, user keyword, user popular])
-- if there is map data on any image in the gallery, an expand icon will appear next to the "x" button on the panel to show a bigger map
-- the expand icon will show even if the current image has no map data (but something else in the gallery does)
-- thumbnails will no longer be opened automatically for you when you open the info panel

MAP IMPROVEMENTS
- duplicate markers should no longer show up
- scrollwheel can be used (in the info panel) to zoom in/out the map

BUG FIXES
- thumbnail pagination in smugmug style should no longer look horrendous in windows firefox
- image pagination in smugmug style should now actually be centered (those with css fixes may want to check to make sure they're not broken)
- fixed a bug where changing between satellite and aerial view in map didn't always work
- while editing photos in smugmug style, outdated information should no longer show up when switching thumbnail pages
- open panels will now be properly closed for you when entering fullscreen slideshow (so IE is not affected by this fix)
- open panels will now be closed for you when exiting lightbox, instead of leaving lingering orphaned panels that didn't do anything

KNOWN ISSUES
- as stated in the bug fixes - panels still won't be closed on IE when entering slideshow
- also as stated, on mobile, there will be no indicator that the inline-edit option is there, you just have to know to tap the location to edit (same tapping areas as on desktop)
- on Mavericks Chrome, trying to inline-edit a photo in lightbox while having the image sized to the point of creating a scrollbar (X2 in most laptop cases) can cause some flickering behavior in the info. To avoid this problem, just use the "fill" option for image sizes ("A" in the URL)

Please let us know if there are any problems, questions, or concerns here, thank you!

Moiraine

Comments

• mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2014
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited March 14, 2014
    Thanks much for the inline editing and lightbox changes. I'm delighted that the keywords on my photos are no longer hidden in lightbox.

--- Denise
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2014
    The lightbox is now garbage when using the R/L arrows as too much caption is covering the photos. It needs
    to collapse the same height as the buttons on the right. Nothing worst then having to wait after every new photo.

Most viewers will keep their mouse on the arrow and will get no full collapses.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited March 14, 2014
  • moirainemoiraine Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2014
    The photo isn't showing in your smugmug style either... I don't think that is related to this change
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2014
    edited March 14, 2014
    Here's another no show. FF lightbox and gallery, IE lightbox only.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/Birds/Missouri-Bird-Photos-H-Z/i-6gLCWh5
    edited March 14, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Here's another no show. FF lightbox and gallery, IE lightbox only.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/Birds/Missouri-Bird-Photos-H-Z/i-6gLCWh5
    That one shows (for me) in Chrome in the gallery but it does not show in lightbox.

--- Denise
    edited March 14, 2014
    That one shows (for me) in Chrome in the gallery but it does not show in lightbox.

--- Denise
    Using WebDev deleted CSS, refreshed and didn't show. But closing WebDev LB photo showed. Then back to not showing.
    Only "fill" doesn't show, other sizes do. Looks like it's only the X-Large that doesn't work (used for fill).
    Edit: I re-added watermark to see if both will regenerate sizes. Edit: worked
  • kimbomackimbomac Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2014
    I am disappointed this didn't include adding titles in the organiser panel when modifying keywords and captions. I do a lot of work adding captions to photos in bulk, and not being able to modify keywords there is very inconvenient.

And although the map and exif data sounds like a really great change, I can't actually see it working. This gallery (http://www.featurephotography.net/Kimbomac/Holidays/2014/Walpole/Conspicuous-Cliffs/) has images with map data on them, but nowhere can I see how that is detectable at the gallery level to display the map. I see that pressing info on any individual photo will do it, but the tiny map in the popup is not very satisfactory.

Great to see stuff is happening though!
    Kimbomac

(FeaturePhotography.net)
    edited March 14, 2014
    Hi kimbomac, inline editing should be working for lightbox in organizer. If it isn't, please provide a link to where you are seeing the issue so we can investigate further.

Regarding the small map, as mentioned in the release notes, if you have any map data in your gallery (sans date galleries), an expand icon will appear next to the x icon to get the large map view.

This actually makes it so if you only have 2/100 photos with map data in a gallery, you no longer have to hunt for them in the gallery, as we had heard that was a concern.

Moiraine
  • JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2014
    One request/suggestion while this is still hot: is it possible on the info/exif box for the map to either shrink or go away if there is no location information? It seems odd use of the space to fill half the initial info/exif box with an empty map and then make the user scroll to get to available data.

Other than that, no problems with the update. I appreciate being able to edit captions live. I did have to adjust my custom CSS a bit, but it was not a big effort.

Jim Ringland
    jtringl@smugmug.com
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
    edited March 15, 2014
    moiraine wrote: »
    Hi kimbomac, inline editing should be working for lightbox in organizer. If it isn't, please provide a link to where you are seeing the issue so we can investigate further.

Regarding the small map, as mentioned in the release notes, if you have any map data in your gallery (sans date galleries), an expand icon will appear next to the x icon to get the large map view.

This actually makes it so if you only have 2/100 photos with map data in a gallery, you no longer have to hunt for them in the gallery, as we had heard that was a concern.

Moiraine

Thanks for your response, Moiraine. I am talking about in the organiser, where you click the little spanner and get all the images one below each other with their caption and keywords fields open for editing, so you can do it in bulk. It would be great if their title fields were there too. I don't want to have to inline edit and then save each image individually, when I can do them all at once in bulk and save once.

It's good not to have to hunt for images with map data on them, and that was indeed a concern and irritation of mine before. But instead of having to view an image on its own and THEN go to its map and THEN click for the bigger map, you might be able to see at the gallery level that there is a map applicable to one or more photo in the gallery and click to get to the big map with one click. That's how the old Smuggie worked, and though I am not one that's averse to change, I am averse to change that loses flexibility and/or convenience.
    Kimbomac

(FeaturePhotography.net)
  • rustybladesrustyblades Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2014
    I like the improvements except for the new way to access the map. For outsiders it is not obvious how to get to it. Clicking the info icon opens a small map plus the EXIF data. Took me a while to see the expand arrows and then you have to zoom out to get all the photo pins in the gallery to show up. This can be quite a few zoom outs (clicks or scrolls) for a global gallery. Contrast this with the old method where you click on the map icon and the map zoomed to the max extent of the gallery content shows up. One click.

In SM style is it possible to place the map icon under the gallery and have it display the gallery. Same rules as for the new method. The icon only shows up if at least one photo has a map. There is plenty of space to do this next to the pagination. The map in info can remain with the EXIF data as it is.

Paul
  • dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2014
    It sure would be nice if you could toggle the lightbox closed by clicking on the picture again like it used to be in legacy instead of having to click the tiny X.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • ande8150ande8150 Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2014
    I like the improvements except for the new way to access the map. For outsiders it is not obvious how to get to it. Clicking the info icon opens a small map plus the EXIF data. Took me a while to see the expand arrows and then you have to zoom out to get all the photo pins in the gallery to show up. This can be quite a few zoom outs (clicks or scrolls) for a global gallery. Contrast this with the old method where you click on the map icon and the map zoomed to the max extent of the gallery content shows up. One click.
    Paul

Agreed. I much prefer the dedicated map button. I think the average viewer could care less about the exif data so won't be in the photo info section, but would click on a map button if they saw it on the photo.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    edited March 15, 2014
    The below suggestions about a map button for the gallery are exactly what I was talking about. It is so much clearer. Right now, there is no indication, especially when looking at collage gallery style, that anything like a map even exists. And when in collage style, many people wouldn't click on one photo at a time to see anything, since they display so well just like that. It's too hidden where it is.
    Kimbomac

(FeaturePhotography.net)
  • DJDigitalDaveDJDigitalDave Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2014
    moiraine wrote: »

BUG FIXES
    - thumbnail pagination in smugmug style should no longer look horrendous in windows firefox

May be fixed in Windows but what's the deal with the new ugly and redundant button for Smugmug Style thumbnail pagination on Mac Firefox (27.0.1) on Mavericks (10.9.2). (See screencap below.)

1) It looks like something from a website circa 1997 and has nothing to do with the rest of the site's modern design elements.

2) It is redundant with the other arrow on the right side of the pagination form.

That thing sure wasn't there yesterday! Mercifully, it doesn't appear on either Chrome or Safari (though God only knows what it looks like in IE...)

I don't want the thing anywhere near my website but there doesn't seem to be a way to hide it with CSS as the button appears to be attached to the same div that addresses the page-selector-form portion of the pagination dialog!
    i-fZHdXkP-L.png
  • rustybladesrustyblades Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2014
    One other shortcoming of the new map in EXIF approach. Previously I could identify which photos did not have map info and then add the info or in some instances remove the info. There is now no way (that I can see) that I can quickly determine if an image has or doesn't have map info, unless I painfully examine the EXIF data of every single image.

Paul
  • jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    The lightbox is now garbage when using the R/L arrows as too much caption is covering the photos. It needs
    to collapse the same height as the buttons on the right. Nothing worst then having to wait after every new photo.

Most viewers will keep their mouse on the arrow and will get no full collapses.

I agree - I noticed this just yesterday and found it annoying that that section covers so much of the photo. It should be collapsed by default and show up when you hover down there. (Or at least that should be an option we can turn on...)
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
    edited March 16, 2014
    I agree - I noticed this just yesterday and found it annoying that that section covers so much of the photo. It should be collapsed by default and show up when you hover down there. (Or at least that should be an option we can turn on...)
    I entered a feature request yesterday to suppress the map section if there is no mapping data - do not show map block on info for photos that are not geo coded. Maybe that request should be expanded.

--- Denise
  • dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2014
    In Gallery Settings there is an option to Enable Map Features. If this is turned off the blank map in Info should not be shown.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
    edited March 16, 2014
    Your new lightbox changes have destroyed the usability of the browser bottom scroll bar. FF and IE here.

Reported in bug forum here.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=245887
    edited March 16, 2014
    May be fixed in Windows but what's the deal with the new ugly and redundant button for Smugmug Style thumbnail pagination on Mac Firefox (27.0.1) on Mavericks (10.9.2). (See screencap below.)

1) It looks like something from a website circa 1997 and has nothing to do with the rest of the site's modern design elements.

Are you still seeing this issue? We have checked and on the same version of firefox on mavericks don't see the problem. http://screencast.com/t/HctmFeCwuZ
  • pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2014
    As a bit of feedback, it would be nice to have the ability to have toggles to control what items appear in the lightbox overlay. I'd like the ability to only show the caption and not the keywords, since, as Allen pointed out, the overlay now covers up too much of the photo. I'd like to shrink it back to just showing the caption, since I use Smugmug gallery style and my keywords appear there.
  • rhermansrhermans Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2014
    Like the addition below the lightbox but scrolling isn't working in Chrome/Firefox
    Noticed the addition to the lightbox and I really like it, at this point I almost never enter extra data in the caption and this will motivate me to do that.
    But ... there is a small problem, when viewing an image larger than the available screen size the bottom scroll-bar disappears below the popup making it impossible to scroll horizontally.
    IE(10) doesn't have the problem, but because IE is a problem on itself I only use it to test.

The new feature is more worth imho than the disappearance of the scroll bar.

PS just added
    .sm-lightbox-basic .yui3-widget-ft .sm-lightbox-panel
    {
    margin-bottom:15px;
    }

Makes the panel move up a bit, and makes scrolling possible.
    Not sure all classes are needed or the 15px is correct, but it looks good enough
    best regards

Ronny
  • HaraldEHaraldE Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2014
    pbandj wrote: »
    As a bit of feedback, it would be nice to have the ability to have toggles to control what items appear in the lightbox overlay. I'd like the ability to only show the caption and not the keywords, since, as Allen pointed out, the overlay now covers up too much of the photo. I'd like to shrink it back to just showing the caption, since I use Smugmug gallery style and my keywords appear there.

Morning,
    A few toggles here would be great. The obvious ones (for me) are Description, Photodate and Filename.

Regards, Harald
    ==================
    My focus is on digitizing memories
  • JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2014
    Having spent more time with this patch, I too find I'd value a bug fix for the covered horizontal scroll bar in the lightbox when the image size is larger than "fill". I have many plant pictures (mostly wildflowers) where looking at the full-sized original can be useful for seeing identifying details or small structures. It's not something I do real often. I didn't catch this the first evening when the changes came out. But I (and perhaps others) do so from time to time.

In the short term, scrolling with shift-mouse-wheel in Chrome on Win7 seems to be my best workaround. Firefox has no wheel-based horizontal scrolling as far as I can tell. The patch suggested by rhermans works too, or course, but I'd prefer not to give up screen space all the time for an occasional action.

Please address this.

Jim Ringland
    jtringl.smugmug.com
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • dnwvictordnwvictor Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2014
    I give up
    Lightbox on photography website should be used to concentrate viewer attention to image itself!!!
    With option to show info, if viewer would like to see it.

Hover (rollover) interaction… I give up…
    I’m under impression that whoever is responsible for SM design never seen any photography website or maybe never goes on line. How about learning good practise from competition like 500px or Flicker?
    Or why to stop there, lets add keywords, comments, bio,… to be visible on rollover.
    Why visitors would look at our images, lets make them read!!!
  • thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2014