Selling High School Sports Photos

PIN16PIN16 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited March 17, 2014 in Mind Your Own Business
Wondering if anyone knows the legality of selling sports photos. I take them in Michigan for the newspaper and school's website and yearbook. I then post them on smug to sell. I have always had parents thrilled, but of course I now have that "one" that is upset. Does anyone know if you have to have permission to sell photos of an high school sporting event? I did take the ones down that were on fb. thank you!

First time putting something up, so I hope this isn't in the wrong spot!

Legal Question regarding selling photos 1 vote

legal issue
0% 0 votes
high school sports
100% 1 vote

Comments

• AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2014
    Your poll "Legal Question regarding selling photos" and the two options, make no sense to me at all. Doesn't mean it makes no sense - just that it makes no sense TO ME.
    What is the question I am supposed to be contemplating? The two options are not alternatives.
    Totally confused by your "poll". headscratch.gif
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited March 17, 2014
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2014
    The short answer is: You need to ask a lawyer in your state.

No one here competent to offer a legal opinion is likely to offer one, and it sounds like it isn't exactly theoretical.

You might also ask the school, as from a practical perspective the school can likely quiet the parents moreso than a legal opinion would.

But if you want to know the legality of it really, you need to spend a bit of money on a local lawyer. And good luck figuring out one who's an expert in that area, if you are part of any local professional organizations ask around. You need someone who does this enough they don't need to spend hours or days ($$$) researching the law to answer.