Options

So, You Wanna Be A Wildlife Photographer...

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited March 18, 2014 in Wildlife

Comments

• Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2014
    Love it! I think this one will see a lot of Facebook postings too.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2014
    That was great! Thanks for posting it.

Spinner
  • Options
    wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2014
    rolleyes1.gif This is why in Yellowstone you have to stay 100 yds/m from predators and 25 yds/m from everything else. It's called being respectful. Sheesh! rolleyes1.gif
    Steve
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2014
    Steve Irwin, the crocodile hunter learned the hard way and paid for it with his life, what comes out of it when just disrespect an animal. Saying "You all right mate" is not enough. He would block off an animal, mess with it, basically humiliate it and then express his admiration, and periodic, "You all right mate". Well mate, you are not all right, you are dead.

The photographer here had chance to walk away after the first time elk lost interest. He had chance to stay low and not aim camera at the elk. It was clearly bothering the elk as with camera on his face he kind of looks like an elk.

When I went to photograph elephant seals, rangers warned that your telephoto looks like a proboscis to the seals and they can start defending their territory.

Glad he didn't die, but he deserved what he got.
  • Options
    peargrinpeargrin Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2014
    Glad the guy did't get gored, but have to admit, after seeing some ridiculous lack of photographer etiquette and respect out there, I was cheering for the Elk! :). Great post...thanks!
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2014
    peargrin wrote: »
    Glad the guy did't get gored, but have to admit, after seeing some ridiculous lack of photographer etiquette and respect out there, I was cheering for the Elk! :). ...

+1
    Wonder if he thinks the shots are worth the experience ... would like to see them - especially the quick grab shots ...

pp
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 11, 2014
    I think that photographer was really quite lucky, that he got away so unscathed.

It could have gone south in so many ways!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jack608jack608 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 16, 2014
    They ended up putting the animal down, this had happened before with the same Bull Elk.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2014
    Without knowing the rules / legislation associated with the 'park' / venue it's difficult to accurately comment further ... but if they state that people stay inside their vehicles ... 'at all times' ... I hope he's satisfied with the outcome ... just for adding a few frames to his memory card.

pp
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2014
    I grew up not far from this location, and spent a couple decades of my adult life in the area. The park has no rules about staying in your vehicle. However, there are signs posted everywhere to not interact with the wildlife.

This guy is not the first jackf**k to enter the park, nor will he be the last, sadly. There are over 13 million human visitors per year, so the odds are high.