#4 OOYCZ Around the House

grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
edited March 19, 2014 in The Dgrin Challenges
I walked around the house and took some pictures and as I was eating dinner I thought of another one I could do (the cat sitting looking out the window) but my camera was upstairs. I might try to do him tomorrow.

So these are the possibilities.

IMG_2619.JPG

This one lacks something I think.

IMG_2620.JPG

I guess that green section is the equivalent of solar flare.

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

having a little fun

IMG_2624.JPG

I wish I had brushed my hair first as I'm not sure I can do this one again.
“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 15, 2014
    of these, I think the second one has possibilities. I suggest you do a re-shoot and open the curtains wide. Then try different settings and angles. There should not be any details in the silhouette at all. That is what a silhouette is, an image that only shows the shape of an object that lacks the details of the image itself.
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2014
    Tried this again today

IMG_2633.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

IMG_2631.JPG

I've tweaked this one

IMG_2616.JPG

And I still really like this one now that I've made it more of a silhouette

IMG_2624.JPG
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 16, 2014
    Interesting, the first time I looked at this post, I was on my laptop ( which is an inexpensive toshiba that is not good for images). It was showing the details of all these images, thus making them not look like silhouettes but rather underexposed images. Thus why my first comment about not having details in silhouettes. Now I am seeing these images on my android tablet and even your images in the first post arelooking like silhouettes. This tells me that you should post process in an editing program and bump your contrast to darken your silhouettes so that those veiwing from screens that are not calibrated, will see the same as those that are. The last one with you taking the picture of yourself through a mirror is a nice silhouette on my tablet, but not on the laptop. I have yet to see it from a true photography calibrated monitor. Maybe someone else who has one they are seeing it with now, can chime in on whether they are seeing details of the face or not. I am not planning to go upstairs until tomorrow. That is where my work horse photography computer is.
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2014
    I do not see detail but only with the pic before do we know that is a camera -- what if u take that out of knowledge ??? then what is the hole is the head ? Maybe a different angle ? I think the second one if u remove the curtain up or down .
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    edited March 16, 2014
    We know it is a reflection in the camera lens. So if we don't know it is a photographer with a camera, it might be a hole in the head but my thought was that it was a mirror reflection in front of the face, like a compact mirror.

Joyce what I did was what you suggested for one of the other photos - I increased the contrast and made the shadows darker. And when I did that, I updated the on-line photo which is the one that is linked from to digigrins. So the new edit now shows on both the original photo and the new one. You can tell what I mean if you look at the macrame hanging. Originally, it was upsidedown. What I'm saying is - your laptop wasn't at fault - the photos have been changed.

I still wish I had stopped to comb my hair. Maybe I do need to look in the mirror.
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2014
    I really like the square crop on the reshoot of the mannequin! Nicely done :)

Do you think it would be possible to try that self-portrait silhouette again? I really like it, but feel that it could be a little cleaner. The messy hair is kind of interesting to me so that's not the issue, it's more that it's soft instead of crisp and contrast-y.

Good work!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
    edited March 17, 2014
    Ok here are some more

This one was in the first batch but I hadn't done the contrast thing yet

IMG_2618.JPG

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_2636.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

Does this look sharper?
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2014
    Of these, the square manikin is the only one that makes sense to me.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited March 18, 2014
    I agree that the square mannequin is your strongest silhouette shot here. Your first self portrait is my favorite of that series - because the silhouette of your head is distinct from its surroundings - but I much prefer the mannequin.
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2014
    I like the second mannequin shot, as well. If you can make a little room between the curtains and the mannequin, I think it would feel more balanced. Can you move the mannequin lower or closer to the window to create some space?

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
    edited March 19, 2014
    It is hard for me to even open the curtains. This is a back room in the house with very dark curtains and is completely closed up and unheated. (We have a big house and now that the kids are gone we use only one bedroom (of 5) and one of two bathrooms up here. Downstairs we use only the kitchen and family room. The dining room and living room are just for storage. There is an A/c under the window on the floor which I can't move. It is the only room in the house that I can get dark enough to do a silhouette

IMG_2639.JPG

slightly blurred because I forgot to activate the flash. I open the curtains and turn the manikin and then sit in the chair to take he photo as I can't stand for very long

Mirror where I did the selfie

IMG_2648.JPG
    edited March 19, 2014
    Ok here are some ones I shot tonight. I don't really like the mannequin pictures so I am trying to get something else.

IMG_2667.JPG

IMG_2669.JPG

IMG_2675.JPG

I can move the plane model someplace where I can get a better silhouette of it.

IMG_2670.JPG

I can only do this one at night as it is outside.