Options

New title, caption, and keyword function not right

W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
edited March 20, 2014 in Bug Reporting
This new function, added quietlywithout any announcement (that I saw) over the past day or two, doesn't deal to the problem of not being able to bulk-edit image titles as for captions and keywords, but it's welcome just the same.

However, while it allows a title, caption, keywords or all of these to be added to a newly uploaded image, once you have entered any or all of these, you can no longer go in and add or edit keywords for the image - only the title and/or caption.

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2014
    Going to a photo on your site in lightbox, I can click on the keyword icon on the left or pencil on the right to edit the keywords for the photo.
    i-GKqtx3d-O.png

Can you try again? Perhaps it's a browser related issue? If you still have an issue, let us know what browsers you tried it in and also include a link to the photo in question along with details what happens.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2014
    I'm not referring to this function used in the Lightbox, but in the usual gallery display.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2014
    Out of curiosity, why are the keywords now displaying in the Lightbox? They don't (and shouldn't) show in the gallery display. Is this another bug?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2014
    Out of curiosity, why are the keywords now displaying in the Lightbox? They don't (and shouldn't) show in the gallery display. Is this another bug?
    I added this to "all galleries" CSS.

.sm-lightbox-info .sm-lightbox-keywords {display:none;}
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2014
    I changed nothing and now keywords are appearing with my Lightbox images! ne_nau.gif

Do I understand I now have invoke some custom code to suppress them? And without any warning that the presentation of my site would be corrupted in this way? This is nuts! What else on my site is changing without me being aware of it?
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    I added this to "all galleries" CSS.

.sm-lightbox-info .sm-lightbox-keywords {display:none;}

Thanks Alan, but I tried this and it doesn't appear to work.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2014
    Correction - now working. I applied to 'entire site' instead of 'all galleries' - although I don't know why that didn't work. eek7.gif

But now I notice that for Lightbox images without any Title, Caption or Keywords, there is a grey band across the bottom of the image. Why, on earth, is that there, and how do I get rid of it?

Shikes, I didn't cause any of this nonsense, but I've got to clean it up! This just isn't good enough, SmugMug! :nono
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2014
    This might have something to do with the fact that, since these unannounced changes, Lightbox images with Titles and Captions have this detail now automatically appearing across the bottom left of images, rather than only popping up when visitor clicks on the arrow.

What's this all about? I just wish SmugMug wouldn't break stuff that's working!
  • Options
    moirainemoiraine Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2014
    Hi W.W. Webster,

Sorry about the inconvenienced caused to you, but we did announce here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1945506 , and reporting issues there would help keep things together so we can evaluate feedback more easily.

In your case at the moment, however, (after reading through this thread), is it correct to say that the issue you are left with is that there is a strip showing at the bottom of the lightbox?

I suspect the reason that is happening, is because you are using custom css to hide the keywords. If you are going to use custom css to hide the keywords permanently, you'll also have to apply proper css to hide the rest of the strip which is showing there is logic in place to show the info bar if there are keywords (and you haven't hidden the info bar itself with the above custom css). As a tip, if you go this route, the way we avoid showing the bar altogether when there is "no info" is to set padding on the offending div to 0.

If you don't want keywords to show up ever on your site, you can set your Smugmug Search Visibility to "Total Lockdown" in your Account Settings (under discovery -> search), and we will automatically never try to show your keywords.

If they aren't showing in smugmug style but are showing in lightbox, that does sound like a bug, but we haven't heard anyone else report this yet. Were they simply not showing in smugmug style before because you also had custom css to hide keywords there?

Again, sorry for the inconvenience, and to avoid being caught off guard by anything else, please read through the release notes and conversation. If you have more to add, feel free to and we will review all feedback for future releases.

Thanks,
    Moiraine
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2014
    Check a photo size in lightbox that is bigger then the "fill" size. For me on your site the info overlay with the
    caption covers the browser bottom/horizontal scroll bar so you can't scroll to see all the photo.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    espectorespector Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 19, 2014
    Gray band
    Correction - now working. I applied to 'entire site' instead of 'all galleries' - although I don't know why that didn't work. eek7.gif

But now I notice that for Lightbox images without any Title, Caption or Keywords, there is a grey band across the bottom of the image. Why, on earth, is that there, and how do I get rid of it?

Shikes, I didn't cause any of this nonsense, but I've got to clean it up! This just isn't good enough, SmugMug! :nono

I noticed this post dealing with the new caption feature, and I have been frustrated by the appearance of the gray band you mention that shows up at the bottom of my images. The gray band seems to belong to the new title/caption/keyword block that now shows up at the bottom left of each image. I do not want the title/caption prompts to show up in the first place (I had no problem titles or captions via the old method when I needed to), and the fact that this new "feature" is now encroaching on all of my images is quite aggravating. Have you found out how to get rid of the gray band? Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2014
    espector wrote: »
    Have you found out how to get rid of the gray band?
    Fortunately, the grey band on Lightbox images was a problem for me only for one gallery, which contains keywords for all images to make them findable (but suppressed from displaying with CSS - I don't know any other way) but without titles or captions.

To get around the problem (until I have time to find/ask for some CSS to remove the band), I have reluctantly set the "SmugMug searchable" setting for the gallery to "no". Unfortunately I expect this has now rendered these images not-findable through SmugMug, although hopefully they can still be found through external search engines. It's a blunt instrument, but I don't know what else I can do.

Unexpected changes like this are very frustrating but what other options are there? Clearly, SmugMug doesn't seem to feel under any obligation to provide a better solution. Why can't I specify whether I want keywords displayed for any or all of my galleries, whether in the Lightbox or in any other view? I would have to put this up as a proposed "new feature" and try to get more votes for it than, say, providing Pro users with a photo printer in Canada - just as with any other New SmugMug design anomalies and for restoration of functionality dropped from Legacy SmugMug on the way to New SmugMug! Unfortunately the lunatics are now running the asylum! All very sad.
  • Options
    espectorespector Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 20, 2014
    Thanks, and I agree
    Thanks very much for your reply. I will try your suggestion, though it does seem like a blunt instrument. I also agree that these changes are frustrating, especially when they aren't accompanied by any (apparent) option for the user to disable or modify the new "features." (I'm using that term loosely here.)
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited March 20, 2014
    I don't want a visitor to see the keywords popping up from the bottom in lightbox or in any view. Keywords should be off in visitor view, IMO, by default. I don't mind seeing them in owner view as it might get me to add or change them if I see a mistake. Keeping keywords hidden de-clutters the visitor experience, which is what lightbox is all about.
    Why can't I specify whether I want keywords displayed for any or all of my galleries, whether in the Lightbox or in any other view?
    +1. Agree totally with this. I couldn't find a way or a setting to turn off displaying the keywords.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky