Options

Pied Billed Grebes Fishing

mstrozewskimstrozewski Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited March 22, 2014 in Wildlife
I Recently went out and photographed some Pied Billed Grebes and for the first time was able to capture them fishing. It amazes me that they catch fish as big as their head, then down the whole thing. Now to photograph them sprinting on top of the water....lol

These were also shot with the new Tamron SP 150-600mm Di VC Lens. Previously I had been shooting with the Tamron SP 200-500mm Di lens; there is a huge difference between the two! And even though the new lens weighs over 4lbs It's not that bad hand holding.

IMG_2438-L.jpg

IMG_2562-L.jpg

IMG_2454-L.jpg

IMG_2451-L.jpg

IMG_2570-L.jpg

IMG_2617-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2014
    Great capture!thumb.gif

You are not kidding about size of the fish! #4 we can see both the eye of the fish and mouth and everything!

Good work as usual! If it was me I would brighten exposure a bit and at least experiment with temp to see if bit warmer makes a difference! Cheers!
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited February 13, 2014
    It ate that huge fish and didn't immediately choke to death? Amazing -- and amazing captures to prove it really happened.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    mstrozewskimstrozewski Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    It ate that huge fish and didn't immediately choke to death? Amazing -- and amazing captures to prove it really happened.

No, they left their head up and it basically goes straight down the throat. It's interesting that they swallow them whole..
  • Options
    Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2014
  • Options
    MntnKarieMntnKarie Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2014
    Thanks for sharing these. Great captures. I've been wondering how the new Tamron "big ma" was performing
    and now I have a case of lens envy :)
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2014
    Wonderful series! Crisp detail, nice light, great subject, what's not to like! Best, Pam