5833127-L.jpg

5833117-L.jpg

5833112-L.jpg

5833118-L.jpg

5833124-L.jpg

Comments

• dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2004
    Another great series. I can always tell one of your photos when I see it. You've developed a great style that is your own. I'm still trying to find myself...

Do you shoot these handheld? I'd like to see some of your camera settings if you don't mind.

I see that your waiting for the Digilux 3. I was thinking about the Digilux 2, or the LC-1 before I bought my Nikon. I just love the layout and feel but the price was a little too high for me.

Dave
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2004
    Hey Dave, thanks. That's a huge compliment to say that you can tell it's mine on sight.

I shoot almost always handheld, usually in aperture priority but sometimes in shutter priority. Still conquering manual...

I love the Digilux 2 but it has a few flaws that I hope will be fixed with the 3. The 2 is gorgeous though. The price is a little steep and I hear that the Panasonic is the exact same camera but $300 less.
    dkapp wrote:
    Another great series. I can always tell one of your photos when I see it. You've developed a great style that is your own. I'm still trying to find myself...

Do you shoot these handheld? I'd like to see some of your camera settings if you don't mind.
    I see that your waiting for the Digilux 3. I was thinking about the Digilux 2, or the LC-1 before I bought my Nikon. I just love the layout and feel but the price was a little too high for me.

Dave
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Hey Dave, thanks. That's a huge compliment to say that you can tell it's mine on sight.
    Honestly Damon, he is just saying what we all feel. I don't make many comments about your shots because I am usually just in awe of your eye and your ability to manipulate your camera. You have a natural (or maybe learned?) feeling for your subjects and tools and you clearly have your own style!
    damonff wrote:
    I love the Digilux 2 but it has a few flaws that I hope will be fixed with the 3. The 2 is gorgeous though. The price is a little steep and I hear that the Panasonic is the exact same camera but $300 less.
    I hate it when a brand devalues their reputation by cashing in on rebranding lesser goods and upping the price.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2004
    I'm waiting for that book to come out..gonna happen, for sure!
    edited July 6, 2004
    Thanks Charles. It makes me very happy that I can convey feelings through my camera. It feels good.

I hate it too! Why would they sell an exact copy for $300 less to Panasonic? Money I know, but their rep is suffering. I mean, I've always wanted a Leica, but the latest one isn't up to snuff and I can't justify getting a $2000 film camera (the M6). The Sony's keeping me happy though, most of the time...
    cmr164 wrote:
    Honestly Damon, he is just saying what we all feel. I don't make many comments about your shots because I am usually just in awe of your eye and your ability to manipulate your camera. You have a natural (or maybe learned?) feeling for your subjects and tools and you clearly have your own style!

I hate it when a brand devalues their reputation by cashing in on rebranding lesser goods and upping the price.
    edited July 6, 2004
    Thanks Simone. I definitely have to dedicate it to DGrin!!
    SeeMoon wrote:
    I'm waiting for that book to come out..gonna happen, for sure!
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Thanks Charles. It makes me very happy that I can convey feelings through my camera. It feels good.
    cmr164 wrote:
    I hate it too! Why would they sell an exact copy for $300 less to Panasonic? Money I know, but their rep is suffering. I mean, I've always wanted a Leica, but the latest one isn't up to snuff and I can't justify getting a $2000 film camera (the M6). The Sony's keeping me happy though, most of the time...
    But you have it backwards. The camera is a Panasonic that Leica slaps their brand on and bumps up the price. That is why the build quality and design is Panasonic and not Leica.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
    edited July 6, 2004
    Despicable!
    cmr164 wrote:
    But you have it backwards. The camera is a Panasonic that Leica slaps their brand on and bumps up the price. That is why the build quality and design is Panasonic and not Leica.
  • DewrGleisionDewrGleision Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    Leica, wha? Whe? Im just a mainstream bumpkin when it comes to cameras, so I dont know whats goin' on here... But, as Ive said before, I can definitely assist in the computer hardware-area! Turn-key AMD-beasts for fractions of a brand-name Pentium-based klunkers? Mmmmm... Tasty.... :slurp
    Now back to your regular programming; Damon, you = rulingz ze camera! Thou art lord of Wo0tnesS in Asia. Hands down.
    He who throws dirt, loses ground...
    edited July 9, 2004
    Thanks man. I appreciate the comment. Here's a link for the Leica Digilux 2 which is pretty awesome but not quite what I want yet...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leicadigilux2/

Also, what's Wootness?
    Leica, wha? Whe? Im just a mainstream bumpkin when it comes to cameras, so I dont know whats goin' on here... But, as Ive said before, I can definitely assist in the computer hardware-area! Turn-key AMD-beasts for fractions of a brand-name Pentium-based klunkers? Mmmmm... Tasty.... :slurp
    Now back to your regular programming; Damon, you = rulingz ze camera! Thou art lord of Wo0tnesS in Asia. Hands down.
    edited July 14, 2004
    Wootnes = awesome greatness, quintessence of glorious magnificence, epitamy of surpassing skill and/or character, etc., etc.! Thats a nerd-word, though, so its best to keep it on the forums...!

Umm, I may have missed something, but why does that thing cost $1800?!?! With an aperutre range of 2.0-2.4?! And also, why is it the least bit desireable?!?! Holy crap; makes my f828 look like the great-grandaddy of all cameras next to that thing! Bleagh!

Please inform me of what Im missing here; is it the retro styling or something?! I guess there somethjing Im not seeing here...
    edited July 14, 2004
    Hey Dewr...the lens is hand made...it's pretty awesome. And the aperture range is only for the low-end. 2.0 for regular (50 mm) shooting and 2.4 for the wide angle. It has a retro look, but for street shooting, it's ideal in that it allows you to change your major settings, especially aperture, on the lens itself. No menus or holding down this button or that one. The picture quality is outstanding, and it's small. Carrying around the 828 is cumbersome sometimes; I love it and it takes great pictures, but it's a little obvious when you're trying to sneak a shot. Also, the viewfinder is great, one of the best EVFs I've heard. The problem is that, like most prosumers, the sensor is small. I'm hoping that the DL3 will have a larger sensor.
    Wootnes = awesome greatness, quintessence of glorious magnificence, epitamy of surpassing skill and/or character, etc., etc.! Thats a nerd-word, though, so its best to keep it on the forums...!

Umm, I may have missed something, but why does that thing cost $1800?!?! With an aperutre range of 2.0-2.4?! And also, why is it the least bit desireable?!?! Holy crap; makes my f828 look like the great-grandaddy of all cameras next to that thing! Bleagh!

Please inform me of what Im missing here; is it the retro styling or something?! I guess there somethjing Im not seeing here...
    edited July 14, 2004
    Ok, sure, but for that much money, it should be able shoot itself, like telepathically linked with your neurons instead of a shutter button! Give me a Coolpix any day!
    And, cant you adjust aperture on some of the lenses that you can use with any of the Canon SLR platforms, like the 300D or 10D?! If Im not mistaken, didnt one or two of the EF lenses have an aperture ring on it?
    Also, for that much money, all you get is a street camera; what happens when you want to zoom in on the mountaintop, grasshopper? The Druids said, "the fish cannot visit the mountain top". Well you are just a freakin' fish with that thing! *flop, flop*
    What about the boring resolution (pixels), un-impressive continuous shooting rate, or the restrictive minimum shutter speed?! There must be something else here... The hand-made lens is nice, but when a computer can cut a solid block of steel two inches thick with a jet of water with a precision rating of 98% or something like that, who cares? I still think your paying out the nose for style; retro is cool, but not that nice! Also, the Canon 300D is lighter; dont give me that lens rubbish! You said a street camera, right? Those lenses weigh almost nothing! Its not even an SLR!!!
    I just cant see it with this one...