Options

Help needed Smugmug Slideshow

spockyspocky Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited March 24, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Simples question.... How do I get the Slideshow to randomly pick from ALL files ?

I don`t want RECENT or POPULAR... I need it to sect ALL !!!!!!

spocky

http://sevrathealliance.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2014
    The only way I can think of is add a keyword to every photo you want in the slideshow and draw from that.

Set Photo Source to keywords.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2014
    Thanks Allen, but theres got to be an easier way as there are now well over 1000 photos in many Galleries.

Should I be posting somewhere else to suggest an "ALL PHOTOS" button in the dropdown box ?

I`ve just noticed that you have a similar problem Allen. I`m a Newbie to Smugmug and I can see that its a missing Feature.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited March 1, 2014
    spocky wrote: »
    Thanks Allen, but theres got to be an easier way as there are now well over 1000 photos in many Galleries.

Should I be posting somewhere else to suggest an "ALL PHOTOS" button in the dropdown box ?
    You can post requests in the SmugMug Feature Request forum.

I suspect that your site viewers will not sit through a slideshow containing 1000 photos. Have you considered using a gallery or a keyword (as Allen suggested) and changing it every so often so the slideshow is "fresh"?

--- Denise
  • Options
    DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2014
    Today we cash pick a gallery as a source. If we could pick a folder, it would address this and other concerns. And perhaps random starts and ordering of images will be enough to keep it fresh.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2014
    I suspect that your site viewers will not sit through a slideshow containing 1000 photos.

You suspect wrongly Denise.

We will be holding a bike rally in May, where ALL 1000 + photos will be projected on a big screen.

I`m sorry if this doesn`t fit in with your or Smug Mugs way of life. It WILL happen with or without help.
    I`d rather it happened from the Gallery, but if it can`t.... I`ll find another way.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2014
    Have you looked at ProShow Web? Smugmug has a partnership with Photodex to enable creation of sideshows online from your images on SM. I haven't used it - don't know what limitations it may have - but I really like ProShow Gold and Producer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited March 2, 2014
    spocky wrote: »
    We will be holding a bike rally in May, where ALL 1000 + photos will be projected on a big screen.
    I think Allen's suggestion of using a keyword should work. You can use bulk caption / keyword to add the same keyword to every photo in a gallery and then use that keyword to drive the slideshow.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2014
    I thought that sideshow content was still limited to 1000 images, regardless of the source. An apparently knowledgeable person posted on Dgrin that it would use the first 1000 images. If that is not correct, that's good news!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2014
    Thanks, but it appears to be limited to 500 photos.

I`m currently downloading and copying everything into 1 Gallery. I think its nearer 2000 pics. Perhaps this will work. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2014
    When I do large slideshows like that, I usually use ProShow Gold or ProShow Producer, and run it locally from a laptop, DVD player, or Blue-Ray Player. That way, I'm not dependent on my Internet connection, and I have more control over the show. (In fact, I usually bring several copies of the show, in different formats, just in case.)
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2014
    You'll want to test thoroughly. I've found that when I let the slideshow run for a long time (maybe long enough to run through 1000 images - haven't timed carefully), it crashes. This may well be a browser problem, not a SM problem, but it's something to watch for.

FWIW - I'm using Chrome on Windows 7, with all current updates to OS, apps, and drivers.
  • Options
    CarSalesmanCarSalesman Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2014
    I tried the group-keyword-add, then a search. That works - but can I save the search for users to click on, like its own album?

When I perform the search, and it returns 209 images as expected - how do I then start a slide show of those 209 images? If I click on one of the images it takes me to the gallery where that particular image is stored.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2014
    Followup to my post above. I created a gallery with 270 images which are copied from other galleries. When I click Slideshow the first image comes up, but the show does not run. Is there a limit to the number of images in a slide show?

EDIT: Did some more checking. The problem is not my slide show. It was that I was using Chrome. Works fine in IE. Is there an incompatibility with Chrome for the slide show?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2014
    Followup to my post above. I created a gallery with 270 images which are copied from other galleries. When I click Slideshow the first image comes up, but the show does not run. Is there a limit to the number of images in a slide show?

EDIT: Did some more checking. The problem is not my slide show. It was that I was using Chrome. Works fine in IE. Is there an incompatibility with Chrome for the slide show?

What gallery style is your gallery using? There's currently an issue with the slideshow in galleries set to SmugMug style. For the time being, you could use a different gallery style to avoid the issue.

If you still have an issue, could include a link to a gallery you're seeing the issue with?
    Do you have any add-ons / extensions installed in your Chrome?
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2014
    I am using most of the Smugmug defaults, so yes its the Smugmug gallery style. An example would be ferrario.smugmug.com/Wildlife/Ding-Darling-2013. It works fine in Internet Explorer, but does not work in either Chrome or Firefox. I only have two Chrome extensions installed, same ones I've always had. Since it doesn't work in Firefox, that's probably not the issue.

Just realized that not only does the auto slide show sequence not work, you can't even manually move to the next slide, in Chrome or Firefox.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2014
    I am using most of the Smugmug defaults, so yes its the Smugmug gallery style. An example would be ferrario.smugmug.com/Wildlife/Ding-Darling-2013. It works fine in Internet Explorer, but does not work in either Chrome or Firefox. I only have two Chrome extensions installed, same ones I've always had. Since it doesn't work in Firefox, that's probably not the issue.

Just realized that not only does the auto slide show sequence not work, you can't even manually move to the next slide, in Chrome or Firefox.
    That's the issue I mentioned. If you wish to use the slideshow, for the time being, please change to a different gallery style.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2014
    I really don't care for any of the other Gallery styles. I like the Smugmug style gallery. Do you know if there is a fix for this problem coming soon?

EDIT: I just tried it again now, and the Smugmug Gallery style slide show is working in Chrome and Firefox. I guess it was fixed during the last day or two.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2014
    Yes, the issue was fixed later in the day.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2014
    REALLY would like an option to display slide show images in random order. Is there a way to do this?
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2014
    REALLY would like an option to display slide show images in random order. Is there a way to do this?

Did you try yet?

As a slideshow content block:

T0tbhtUl.png

As the page background:

3xZQa34l.png
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2014
    Lamah - I want to thank you but I can't find those settings. I am using the Smugmug style gallery. I go to the Organize Site page, click on the gallery I want to be random, then Settings. The Gallery Settings come up, I can go to Appearance, but I don't see the randomize images option.

You said "content block". I tried adding a page instead of a gallery. Set the background to slide show, and YES there is the option you showed me for random. Thank you. Two problems I am having:

- I can see the page in Organize Site, its in the folder I want it to be in, and I can open it from there, but when I publish the site its not visible in the folder. I did not make it private. How do I make the page visible in the folder, so it looks like a gallery?

- When the images appear in the background slide show they are not resized to fit the browser window. Since the images are much bigger than the browser window, they are cropped. Is there a setting for that?

- I then tried doing it as a content block. That works. It starts up with a 960 pixel block, but there is a user button for full screen. Its random, its full screen. That's perfect.... except of course its not visible in my folders.

So I have the page I want, just now need to make it accessible to users.

thank you.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2014
    It sounds like your "all folders" customisation is missing a Navigation/Pages block that would show a clickable thumbnail to take you to the page. You should open one of your folders in the customiser and add that in (if you only want to apply the change to that one folder, click "make this folder custom" first at the top right of the customiser).

About your image cropping problem, when you use the background slideshow, the photos will be cropped in order to fill the window (so portrait images are not a good idea) but the image should not be cropped on all sides. Are you using an old version of Internet Explorer?
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2014
    Lamah - Thank you. All good now. I definitely would not have figured this out without your help. See ferrario.smugmug.com/Galapagos.

Don