Options

Hide Owner: Content NOT Gallery?

edited March 29, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I am in my trial period for smugmug and think I've got everything set up the way I want, but there is one thing I can't seem to get sorted. I am hoping someone here can help me out.

I have some galleries that I would like to share with family and friends, and would like to have the pictures in those galleries free for them to share. I would also like to retain the look and feel of my site when these users browse my gallery - so breadcrumbs and menus. This is where it gets clumsy.

When the gallery's 'Hide Owner' is set to ON I loose all the navigation options. This make sense, I get that if I want to Hide the Owner of the gallery I need to remove all the link backs to my site. However, I don't want to hide the owner of the Gallery here - just hide the owner of the pictures if they are shared.

If the pictures are posted on Facebook or in some forum somewhere, I don't want the URL to trace back to my site and the rest of my content. But if a user is navigating my site, I don't want them to loose the site association when they navigate into this gallery.

It seems to me that there should be a setting for Hide Owner on the Gallery and a setting for Hide Owner on the content - but I can't seem to find that anywhere.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2014
    The only way to hide your site that I've found and show the photo is construct your own url.

http://cdn.smugmug.com/photos/i-9fbXML3/1/M/img_3690_7d2-M.jpg

From get a link I get the photo info and add the generic part in front.
    This I can paste into a Facebook message.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 29, 2014
    Thanks Allen,

Your suggestion works great for me in the event I want to purposely hide my site when I post on a forum or facebook with out hiding my gallery.
    I was hoping for a setting that could perform this magic for me, so I could allow my users to post on there own facebook walls or other social media sites.

For now I have turned off the social option, and if my browsers want to post pictures somewhere else - they will need to work for it. They can download, then upload instead of sharing directly.
    Perhaps I will submit as a feature suggestion and hope it gets picked up.

ETA: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=246192